Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why do they have to yell out the words?? It would be so much better if it was just the text and background music...

I'm very surprised people don't like these ads. I think they are well done and a fresh approach. The crowd-yelling effect communicates that using iOS devices is a collaborative, interactive, sharing experience.

And they get your attention, don't they? Mind you, I've only watched them on-demand on a computer, not as part of a series of TV commercials (I don't watch regular TV), so maybe that's the difference.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Is it their best ad? No, not even close. Though it isn't terrible by any means. Sure it is not Apple like but it still better than over half of the ads on TV today. I think it should be looked at from that point of view. Compare it to half the ads on TV today and I think it turns into a very good ad all of a sudden.

JohnnyRocks

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Annoying

What is going on with Apple marketing? These are the most annoying ads on TV. What happened to classy yet hip? These 3 ads are more Barney!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Going by that logic - perhaps the ad would have been better if it was a single voice and not a group.

Further - since Apple has used celebs in the past - why not use one here. Why not Scorsese or Spielberg or whoever.

The ad itself isn't bad. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually thinks the actual audio of the shouting of lights, camera, action is "good" though.

Well, new Producers, different approach to Hosting, Singing and Dancing.

It was a loud show compared to in the past. I don't think Apple has used a Celebrity since Malkovich in the 5 commercial. Have they?

Valid point though. :apple:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Why is no one mentioning Steve's birthday today? :(
I'm surprised...

I kind of wish the one's who one an Oscar for Brave would have mentioned him or something.

People seem to only remember the anniversary of a person's death. Acknowledging that it would have been their birthday is less popular.

Osnabrueck

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Apple's spots have become self-parody. They're inappropriately self-satisfied and - contrasted with Samsung's latest volley of witty spots - are really emblematic of the perceived stale thinking that's beginning to dog Apple.

The takeaway feels like 'Apple thinks you're an unsophisticated consumer and these images/features are compelling because we say so.'

This isn't 2003. The population at large is savvy and demands a different kind of dialogue than what Apple is presenting.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Ah, gotta love this place. MR is SUPPOSE TO BE a place for Apple enthusiasts. The moment I rant about another company the two of you have to throw your usual fire at Apple. Give it rest. There are "I hate Apple forums" I'm sure. You two should join them.:rolleyes:

Okay, explain to me how anything in either of our posts was "hating" on Apple in any way whatsoever. Just the smallest example. That's all I'm asking.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Okay, explain to me how anything in either of our posts was "hating" on Apple in any way whatsoever. Just the smallest example. That's all I'm asking.

He's mad because you (and I) didn't add a p.s. wishing Steve a very happy birthday.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Why do they have to yell out the words?? It would be so much better if it was just the text and background music...

Probably has something to do with getting your attention. Your more than likely sitting in front of the set focused on the iPad you already own.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

My post was never about Apple in the first place. It was about another company and their sales tactics. There was no reason for you to go dig your usual dirt about Apple. Just makes no sense how most of your posts are something negative towards Apple......or maybe it does make sense.....T...;)
Also why does MR allow people to rate up their own posts??? Hmph.

It's about as ridiculous as someone joining a Coke enthusiasts forum and when one of the members expresses their opinion against Pepsi that newly joined member speaks up says, "Uh, Coke sucks just as bad" :rolleyes:

WTF?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My post was never about Apple in the first place. It was about another company and their sales tactics. There was no reason for you to go dig your usual dirt about Apple. Just makes no sense how most of your posts are something negative towards Apple......or maybe it does make sense.....T...;)
Also why does MR allow people to rate up their own posts??? Hmph.

It's about as ridiculous as someone joining a Coke enthusiasts forum and when one of the members expresses their opinion against Pepsi that newly joined member speaks up says, "Uh, Coke sucks just as bad" :rolleyes:

WTF?

I don't upvote my own posts. Do you?

And you've mistaken honesty and lack of complete bias with "hating." You should try living in a world that's a little less B&W. My .02.

Also - who here is new? I've been around for several years. Reznatic for at least a few. If your analogy about coke/pepsi fans was about us - that was a fail.

Also - no one said Apple sucks as bad. Pointing out that all companies do product placement isn't a slight against Apple. If you think it is - perhaps you're being oversensitive. Just perhaps.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
These ads are terrible. They apps they are showing go by so quickly, the flashing of the words distracting, and the shouting of the words extremely annoying. Thanks Tim for abdicating your job to those around you.

Tim Cook cannot be Steve Jobs, he does not have the same artistic tastes. It is unfair to wish Tim was Steve.

Tim defers to those around him because he recognizes that he is not Steve. Steve Jobs is not going to walk back in Cupertino's doors, he is gone. That doesn't mean that Apple is not a great company. Apple still can be great.

They just need to find new inspiration. You, we...us did not like the "Genius" ad campaign, that was their initial attempt to go beyond the products and have some kind of hook (like the GEICO gecko I guess)...what should they do next? You do not want them doing the same types of commercials that they have been doing for the last 15-16 years, Mac vs. PC have been retired, so what now?

Let them find their way, folks...sheesh. The products are still superb (although I wait for Mac Pro like Godot)

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Fail...

The words are "Lights," "Camera," "Action."

Yes I know you were trying to make a point, but it didn't work. :rolleyes:

I seriously laugh at those who say these ads are annoying and loud. Get a grip people, it's a 30 second ad and they 'yell' every 10 seconds for .5 second. Not that bad people. Maybe some are on their computers too much and the slightest noise hurts their ear drums. :( Hope none you live the big city, you might hear a car honk or someone sneeze in your home. :p

:rolleyes:

Wow, calm down. People are allowed to dislike an ad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.