Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the leak of several "iPad 5" cases late last week supporting claims that the device will take some design cues from the iPad mini to become significantly narrower and slightly shorter than the current models, AppleBitch notes that these cases and a several others are now available for order through multiple distributors on Chinese e-marketplace Alibaba.

ipad_5_cases_rainbow.jpg

All of the cases contain holes in the bottom edge designed to accommodate a Lightning connector and speaker grilles on either side of the connector, as seen on the iPad mini. The current full-size iPad design contains a single speaker grille on wrapping from the bottom edge around to the back side of the device.

One case design shows an open left edge, presumably to accommodate a Smart Cover hinge.

ipad_5_case_smart_cover_side.jpg

The cases also appear to show an extra hole at the top center of the rear of the device, and it is unclear exactly feature of the redesigned iPad the hole is intended to accommodate. The hole was initially thought to be for a microphone, which is currently located along the top edge of the iPad, but a hole in that location appears to still be present on these new cases, leaving the "extra" hole on the rear unaccounted for.

Leaks from case makers have in the past proven accurate on a number of occasions, including with the iPad mini, although companies have sometimes been fooled as was seen with the tapered iPhone design back in 2011. But with rumors, rear shell photos, and now cases all consistently pointing toward an iPad mini-like design for the fifth-generation iPad, evidence for a significant overhaul of the full-size iPad is becoming stronger.

Article Link: iPad 5 Cases with Mini-Inspired Designs Begin Hitting Chinese Marketplaces

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
And as every year (actually twice a year ... iPad and iPhone) some case manufactures take a bet based on rumors to have the first cases out and as most of the time they end up destroying what they manufactured since they listened to rumor sites and not having any reliable sources.

Really surprised that it is worth for the manufactures to take those gambles.

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I guess these cheap cases are really easy to knock off.

They probably make a few just in case they might sell. This way they can postpone selling their souls to the devil a little longer.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
The iPhone has a microphone on the back... I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same thing on the iPad.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
although companies have sometimes been fooled as was seen with the tapered iPhone design back in 2011.

yeah was gonna say this. so, the rumor is strong with this one...
personally I like the iPad mini design and it goes to show that apple is really the master of doing increment steps / updates in perfecting their designs.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think we will see an iPad 5 in March or Aprial! Probably with the same specs as the iPad 4.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
If Apple wanted to get really ridiculous, that extra hole could he for one of those wrist strap anchors like on the most recent iPod touch.

This would be very silly on a full-size iPad wouldn't it? Even the Mini would be super awkward to have hanging from your wrist haha.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I find it incredibly bizarre that there is an accessory for sale for a device that doesn't exist in the market place yet. Talk about putting the horse before the cart.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I ordered four; I just love protecting products that haven't actually been released. :rolleyes:

vazquez1085

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
New York
This kind of rumor really gets me excited..especially since I sold my 3rd gen on Friday I could use an upgrade and really dont want a 4 or a mini..bring on the 5!!

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I'd bet a small amount of money on the back hole being a cutout for a flash. Perfect round cutout. Mic hole on top is rectangular. Why make two different cutouts in the same product. Flash is nice and far away from the camera making zero chance of flash problems. It is smaller and lighter and using it as a camera is not as rediclious. May as well, plenty of space for it.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
The iPhone has a microphone on the back... I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same thing on the iPad.

Iphone mic in the back is for ambient noise canceling for cellular calls... Unless the new ipad is going to have the ability to make calls a mic in the back makes no sense!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Haven't we been here before, just because there's a case doesn't mean a new device.

I seem to remember about 2 years ago people selling iPhone 5 cases for the new design iPhone and it turned out we got the 4s. You'd be a fool to buy a case for the next iPad (or any product) before it's officially announced and released.

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
Regardless of whether these are legit or not, it would be really nice for Apple to bring stereo sound to the iPad. When on its side, one on the left, one on the right. The iPad mini stereo speakers are laughable. Aside from normal gripes (SD card, blah blah) I'd say that's the biggest issue I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.