Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
What? Lots of updates are a GOOD thing and means that they DO have their **** together.

Would you rather they find out about bugs and security flaws and ignore them so that they can patch them all at once a month from now? It's much better to release a small update to patch a hole and then release another one a week later to patch the second hole.

No, I'd rather them fix everything at once. Like the recent 6.1.2 and now 6.1.3 could easily be combined.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.

When they get a call blocking app as good as iBlacklist, then I will stop jailbreaking. That app has been the only reason I JB over the last few years. I've run it on every iPhone.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
Are you serious? there is so many things you can do with an iPhone jailbroken that you can't with iOS on its own.

I jailbroke my iPad 3 once only to find out that there was nothing of interest for me personally. I am sure it's a big deal for some, but many people are perfectly content with the apps that are being offered on the appstore.

Just saying ;)

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I jailbroke my iPad 3 once only to find out that there was nothing of interest for me personally. I am sure it's a big deal for some, but many people are perfectly content with the apps that are being offered on the appstore.

Just saying ;)

I hear ya. But it does offer things that you just cannot do because Apple has everything so locked down. If I want a Bluetooth button on the main screen I can't without being jailbroken. For me personally its not the apps I care about with jailbreaking. Its the customization. With it I can have 5 apps down on the bottom dock, bluetooth button on the main screen, brightness control on the main screen, etc.

It does offer alot to people who want just that little bit extra for customization.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I don't disagree that everyone has different needs, but that list used to be a lot larger. That's all I'm saying.
I doubt we'll ever see the biggest remaining things come from Apple. 3GUnrestrictor and tethering, for instance. Certainly not Activator, I don't use this, but many do. Never happen from Apple.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Given the # of people who used Evasi0n as SOON as it came out - I'd say that jailbreaking is still pretty popular regardless of whether or not iOS has been improving.

To each their own. If you're happy with stock iOS - don't jailbreak. If you aren't and can find features or benefits to jailbreaking - go ahead. Silly to argue against someone else's use case which isn't your own.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Truthfully I think some everyday users are confused/scared of jailbreak.

confused by how it looks. When I show someone Cydia they are looking confused as hell. Really I don't blame them. Its not the most friendly app.

Scared that they will void warranty or that they can't restore back to factory settings.

That seems to be the two most common things for people not jailbreaking their iOS devices from my personal experiences.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I don't care. I am not giving up my jailbreak. I am not upgrading until ios7.

There's literally no point. The battery is ok, the Exchange bug doesn't effect normal users, the lock screen may be risk but unlikely and many of the small features in future releases will likely be replicated on Cydia anyway. ;)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I don't see the point in JBing now. Yeah, I'm sure there are a few reasons, but I'm perfectly happy just using the phone they way it was designed by Apple. If I still had unlimited data then I would in a heartbeat.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Unless ios 7 is huge I don't care about some silly pass code flaw. Don't keep private info on your phone..it isn't hard.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's literally no point. The battery is ok, the Exchange bug doesn't effect normal users, the lock screen may be risk but unlikely and many of the small features in future releases will likely be replicated on Cydiq anyway. ;)
The Exchange bug has actually been fixed in the already released iOS 6.1.2 update (which still works with the existing jailbreak).

CmdrPuffin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2013
I jailbreak so I can put more than 16 apps in a folder. NCSettings isn't bad either. I can't believe Apple thought it was a good idea to limit the number of apps per folder. I like to have one games folder, and one utilities folder and all of my apps on a single page. It looks ridiculous to have to have six folders for games spread out across several pages.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The amount of effort Apple goes into just to avoid Jailbreaking is silly. My friend just bought an old iPhone and wants to use it in another country, thinking that there must be a way to unlock the SIM lock. We just can't figure out how to unlock it, as it turns out Apple hard-coded the SIM lock into the phone and only the operator can unlock it (but why would they do it, if they can just piss people off legally for nothing but the enjoyment). What's the point of this, exactly? To make make the resale value of iPhones equal to zero? Or to just piss people off for paying full price for an old Phone, just to find that it's not actually theirs to do what they want?

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Apple is cunning in keeping Jailbreak community on the fringe, exploiting their talents for spotting security holes for free. Clever!

stevegut78

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
If I still had unlimited data then I would in a heartbeat.

My sole reason. And I also like NCSettings (coming from android phone).

I'm just glad they're updating iOS. And when iOS 7 comes out, I'll wait until there is a JB for that before upgrading my phone.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Sure Jailbreaking doesn't do as much as it did around 2.0, but it still does a lot. Little visual tweaks, things like SBSettings. Personally, Auxo and SBSettings are alone an excellent reason to jailbreak; both move dozens of settings toggles to easy-to-access locations so I don't have to dig through settings.app to toggle things I toggle daily (like personal hotspot; because otherwise my MBP will automatically tether to my iPhone. Or Wi-Fi, when I'm somewhere with crummy wi-fi and 4G or LTE is better, or bluetooth to save battery!)

Is it the end of the world? No. But it's easy, and there are some cool tweaks out there. I really like a lot of the Siri tweaks as well. Jailbreaking is all about adding functionality, even if it's small.

I sort of anticipated this though. Apple was going to wait to fix the exploits until they had an update worth updating to, forcing users to choose. Users would just as soon skip 6.1.2, but perhaps not 6.1.3 if they are that concerned about the passcode bug. (However, I anticipate a jailbreak tweak to fix the bug)

Now, if they don't release a jailbreak within 5 minutes of 6.1.3, we get to start listening to all the 'Jailbreaking is dead' comments again! LOL

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.
You live in a bubble. iOS has evolved slowly. Jailbreaking is the only way to achieve anything resembling feature parity with Android. Apple is making a big mistake shutting down their most fervent supporters. What they really ought to do is make jailbreak a toggle in settings. People who want to live in the garden won't touch it, and the bleeding edgers will give Apple free R&D on future improvements to iOS.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
What they really ought to do is make jailbreak a toggle in settings. People who want to live in the garden won't touch it, and the bleeding edgers will give Apple free R&D on future improvements to iOS.

Couldn't agree more. Call it "Expert Mode" or "Developer Mode" or something daunting, but for heavens sake, utilize and capitalize on it Apple, don't fight it and lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.