Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So the police are not going to do the same for android phones?

Boy, this sure would make for an awkward headline...:p

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Especially since they have your appleID and unique device UID in their possession.
1) AppleID reports phone stolen.
2) device UID is put on a flag list.
3) device UID is used in an attempt to associate itself with a new appleID
4) Apple notes IP and new appleID.
5) Apple sends IP, new AppleID, whatever else to law enforcement - QED

So now the police are personal iPhone retrievers? :eek::eek::eek:

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
Was thinking the same.

1. Sell phone on craigslist , cash deal
2. Report phone stolen , call cops.
3. Get phone back.
4. ????
5. Profit but dam thats a crappy thing to do.

You didn't finish the list.

6. Get caught for filing a fraudulent police report.
7. Plea guilty
8. Pay fine and perhaps do a little time in country.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Whether or not he is juvenile or adult he has a point. Apple does sell more phones because of theft. Period.

That's like saying that criminals are the only reason why we even have law enforcement officers in employment. But is the police officer supposed to be grateful to the crook for giving him a job?

Yes, there may be a correlation, but it doesn't mean Apple condones, much less welcomes such an act.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
That's like saying that criminals are the only reason why we even have law enforcement officers in employment. But is the police officer supposed to be grateful to the crook for giving him a job?

Yes, there may be a correlation, but it doesn't mean Apple condones, much less welcomes such an act.

I never said Apple condoned stealing. All Apple needs to do to increase profit is sit back and not take sides.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
When the provider can block the IMEI, making theft utterly useless, why would thief bother...?

Oh wait. Cell phone service providers here are actually too happy theft happens so often, since they don't have to replace the device, won't let you cancel their all-too-profitable 3-years plans without you paying a big fat penalty, and may even activate some brand new contracts with the thief wanting to use his catch! And Apple will sell more $800 phones.

I mean, what's NOT to like here?

One of the reasons why, as a general population, we don't trust police officers too much is they seem to be more keen at ticketing you for overdue parking meter than catching petty thieves, even when information is handed to them on a silver plate. The latter only gives honors, whereas the first one brings in cash, that's the reason why.

Yes, I am talking from personal experience. I had four cell phone stolen, had IMEI for each of them, and all hooked to a carrier who can geolocate them. It just needed a law enforcement supoena to disclose location. Officer's reasons for refusing the supoena? They didn't want to find some innocent dude who probably bought the phone thinking it was legitimate. Same when my bike was stolen. I knew exactly who did it, they knew the guy also, but refused to go ask him, although theft was performed less than two hours before, probably before the guy could sell it.

As good citizens, collaborate when asked to, but never place any faith in police officers. Most often not corrupt, but useless in low-profile cases.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
This information is available to the police when a crime has been reported. Are you against technology assisting in solving crimes?
Not at all. But this seems a little strange, as an aspiring police officer, that they be turned into personal iPhone retrievers. Slightly like a waste of resources. But if it lowers the crime rate, it'll make the NYC mayor happy...

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Not at all. But this seems a little strange, as an aspiring police officer, that they be turned into personal iPhone retrievers. Slightly like a waste of resources. But if it lowers the crime rate, it'll make the NYC mayor happy...

Agreed. It's a little strange. But having a crime reported(theft), and then going to a resource and seeing the name/address(you need to enter a credit card), IP address, etc... being used by a new person with the stolen property should be of use, no?

And yes, since there was a story on here a couple months ago that device theft is extremely high in NYC, I would imagine that there are LEOs devoted to this and only this.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Police officers are not you "personal" belongings retrievers. But who should we talk to when we have enough information to retrieve our belongings but the law forbids us to do so? They are actually PAID to enforce the law.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Agreed. It's a little strange. But having a crime reported(theft), and then going to a resource and seeing the name/address(you need to enter a credit card), IP address, etc... being used by a new person with the stolen property should be of use, no?

And yes, since there was a story on here a couple months ago that device theft is extremely high in NYC, I would imagine that there are LEOs devoted to this and only this.

Yeah I agree, it's not a bad thing. They're around to prevent crimes or at least redact their affects after they occur, but I dunno it just seemed a little odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.