Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Seems like apple doesnt really care about jbing and they just post patches to stop it to pretend like they do care.
JBing exploits security holes in the system. They patch those because they are a security issue, not because of JBing specifically.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
JBing exploits security holes in the system. They patch those because they are a security issue, not because of JBing specifically.

This. Don't get me wrong, I jailbroke with the rest of us a few weeks ago, but I don't have any problem with Apple fixing security exploits on their devices. It would be weird if they DIDN'T do that.

Having said all that, I won't have any problem upgrading to 6.1.3 and ditching the jailbreak. Playing around with it was fun and all, but the stability of the device wasn't a fair trade as far as I was concerned. I routinely use my iPhone as a note pad, and I can't afford to have the phone crash in to safe mode in the middle of a set. This happened exactly once before I realized it just wasn't worth it for me.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The amount of effort Apple goes into just to avoid Jailbreaking is silly.

As the above couple of posts have already mentioned: the whole reason a jailbreak works in the first place is because the people who created the jailbreak have exploited a security hole so serious that arbitrary code was allowed to run. Code that, in fact, can take over how the entire phone works.

When you jailbreak your phone you are basically intentionally running a trojan horse. By any other definition, this is a type of malware.

You don't think Apple wants to fix those flaws when they find them?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.

Yeah, just the BIGGEST one of all. PEOPLE should decide what software goes on their devices, NOT Apple. There is ZERO and I mean ZERO excuse for this crap. We need new consumer laws in this country and around the world to address this sort of thing. Apple may make the hardware and operating system, but it's still your personal computing device and your right to privacy. The day you let companies or the government tell you what you can and cannot run on your computer is the day you lose what little is left of your freedoms. I don't need Apple telling me I can't run Firefox on my Mac because it competes with Safari and that IS what is eventually going to happen we just keep going down that road.

StrongArmmed

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Miami, FL
Screw the passcode bug. Just don't use simple passcode - why would you use it over the more secure password option anyway?

I'm a recent jailbreaking convert and there's no way I'm giving it up now. BiteSMS, NCSettings, Activator, Sparrow+, all are now essential to the day-to-day use of my devices (iPhone5 and iPad Retina) so I'll be waiting til at least iOS7 to consider any Apple update not considered critical...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Unless ios 7 is huge I don't care about some silly pass code flaw. Don't keep private info on your phone..it isn't hard.

So 12 years of contacts for hundreds of people is not considered private information in your world?

----------

Yeah, just the BIGGEST one of all. PEOPLE should decide what software goes on their devices, NOT Apple. There is ZERO and I mean ZERO excuse for this crap. We need new consumer laws in this country and around the world to address this sort of thing. Apple may make the hardware and operating system, but it's still your personal computing device and your right to privacy. The day you let companies or the government tell you what you can and cannot run on your computer is the day you lose what little is left of your freedoms. I don't need Apple telling me I can't run Firefox on my Mac because it competes with Safari and that IS what is eventually going to happen we just keep going down that road.

You're viewing jailbreaking as an "Apple vs the rest of them" battle. You're missing the bigger picture. Apple isn't *trying* to prevent some of the tweaks that jailbreaking makes available. They are working hard to deliver a consistent, simple, predictable user experience for millions (yes, MILLIONS) of users. That goal requires certain allowances and restrictions. Jailbreaking "opens" up their devices to new capabilities, but it does so by exploiting bugs in the system. Apple needs to fix those bugs whether jailbreaking existed or not. Period.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
If apple would add a toggle to be able to adjust the color temperature of their horribly calibrated displays, I would be happy.

Till then, I will "play by the rules" and keep exchanging my phone until I get one that doesn't look like it sat face-down in a puddle of pee-pee before being shipped to me.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I figured that is why they kept with all these updates and only fixing the bugs one at a time. they needed more time to find the exploit used to jb.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
They didn't fix an exploit. They fixed a bug. If Apple didn't try to fix bugs, someone else would complain.

Apple is making a big mistake shutting down their most fervent supporters.

Not really. These people are less than 10% of the active user base, and typically seem to spend less than average on App store apps and Apple accessories. And the stock OS works just fine for the vast majority of users, no nothing important is being shut down.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
Truthfully I think some everyday users are confused/scared of jailbreak.

confused by how it looks. When I show someone Cydia they are looking confused as hell. Really I don't blame them. Its not the most friendly app.

Scared that they will void warranty or that they can't restore back to factory settings.

That seems to be the two most common things for people not jailbreaking their iOS devices from my personal experiences.

+1 Completely agree. But after as soon as next to me sees how I have custom fonts, quick reply for messages, and status bar icons, the most common response I get is "Whoa, can you do it to mine?!"

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
you would think Apple would start to understand that many of us if we CAN'T jailbreak.... we will go to another phone.

sorry apple, you need to learn people who like to tinker, aka hacking, with their products can be loyal and reliable customers.

If you make it hard to "hack" you will lose my $$

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If apple would add a toggle to be able to adjust the color temperature of their horribly calibrated displays, I would be happy.

Till then, I will "play by the rules" and keep exchanging my phone until I get one that doesn't look like it sat face-down in a puddle of pee-pee before being shipped to me.

haha, nice try.

----------

you would think Apple would start to understand that many of us if we CAN'T jailbreak.... we will go to another phone.

sorry apple, you need to learn people who like to tinker, aka hacking, with their products can be loyal and reliable customers.

If you make it hard to "hack" you will lose my $$

bye bye.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Couldn't agree more. Call it "Expert Mode" or "Developer Mode" or something daunting, but for heavens sake, utilize and capitalize on it Apple, don't fight it and lose.

This would be perfect. I love the toggle android has to allow third party apps.

My interest in iOS products is lost without a jailbreak. I despise this trend that Apple starting with locking down computing devices. The devices are capable of much more than what Apple allows.

I don't understand why I need a jailbreak for full e-mail attachment support with access to the file system. I understand many people don't need this, but I find it very useful. I realize dropbox is usually a suitable workaround, but don't restrict me!

Sure Apple products are great for dummies, just let me unlock the damn thing and make it great for advanced users!

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

If that ever happened, you could just get a Windows-based PC... That's sorta how competition works.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
This. Don't get me wrong, I jailbroke with the rest of us a few weeks ago, but I don't have any problem with Apple fixing security exploits on their devices. It would be weird if they DIDN'T do that.

Having said all that, I won't have any problem upgrading to 6.1.3 and ditching the jailbreak. Playing around with it was fun and all, but the stability of the device wasn't a fair trade as far as I was concerned. I routinely use my iPhone as a note pad, and I can't afford to have the phone crash in to safe mode in the middle of a set. This happened exactly once before I realized it just wasn't worth it for me.

My feelings and experience exactly.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Well, I hope they at least fix the background audio bug and background playback from Safari and other apps.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Well since I am on a 4S I expect most of the nice things on IOS7 not to work for no reason other than Apple trying to force an upgrade.

But in terms of the JB will be sticking at 6.1.2 as I do not need new maps for Japan and the passcode bug, its a faff to do so not likely someone will do quickly

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
6.1.3 beta 2 has been an absolute dog of an update.
And turned my 4s into a phone that eats battery ,.....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Bro do you even lift?!

Ah u must be one of those jail break haters.

Be jealous

I'm really not clear on something...how could anyone generate the powerful emotion of hate over something so completely insignificant and trivial as jailbreaking.

I can't imagine why anyone would care one whit whether someone jaulbreaks or not.

Let's get a little perspective here, folks.

This is trivial ca-ca.

Just one man's humble opinion.;)

CosmicDice

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Haven't seen any tweak that would we worth JB and exploiding my phone to hackers. iOS works fine in stock and it doesent need to look or feel like android. I like Apples way of making secirity priority to users.

I dont care if some one want's to JB, they can always use older iOS or Android. Phone customation is so teenis. For main population on users iOS just works and security is important.

Ps. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
How could you do this to me, Apple? I have done nothing but buy your products, give you money, use your services, and have a mindset that Apple is awesome.

And now you do a mean, cruel thing to me like try to take away my jailbreak?

Screw the update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.