Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I know, I know, I will look stupid using an iPad like a camera.
A giant, bulky, awkward, goofy camera.

But I use my iPad to sell stuff on eBay, and an LED flash would be very, very useful....

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If you sell stuff on eBay consistently, then I imagine you at least partially rely on that income. If that's the case, you should just invest in a decent lighting rig, not use a flash.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree with the OP, I think the iPad does need a flash, but I'd also recommend to the OP that he should get the right tool for the job. If you're income is based on how well you present products then its your best interest to get a better camera.

As for the flash, I found myself at a children's birthday party only with my iPad. Some candids were taken and I did the best I could with my iPad mini but clearly the lack of flash hampered me.

I've seen so many people use their iPads in places that a camera would normally be used and so adding a flash should be a no brainer for apple.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Yeah, build yourself a light box, and then get a few used lights off eBay. Will give great results with the iPad.

If you sell stuff on eBay consistently, then I imagine you at least partially rely on that income. If that's the case, you should just invest in a decent lighting rig, not use a flash.

I do, but quite often I need the LED.

And it is pocket money, not something I rely on.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While I think it is pretty dumb to use an ipad to take pictures, I recognize that some people do it. A flash could be useful to those who use the iPad camera.

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I've always found the camera on the iPad to be a bit awkward. Using a device so large to take pictures is just not the easiest. The iPhone is much more a camera than the iPad, and Apple is probably specifically leaning in that direction. I never use my iPad for pictures, that's what my 4S is for.

Granted, not everyone has a phone with a camera as good or better than the one in their iPad, but that's what Apple is pushing for, I think

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The iPad was never intended to be used as a camera. It has the cameras mostly for FaceTime. Apple has made it clear that they want people to purchase an iPhone to compliment an iPad :)

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
The LED flash will be NEXT BIG THING, unveiled as a groundbreaking feature, defining the iPad 5, together with the narrower bezel.

Widgets will come in 2015, as THE new and amazing feature of iOS 8, to be unveiled together with the amazing 4.7" iPhone 7G, which will feature 1080 screen and NFC chip, revolutionizing mobile computing yet again.

The iPad 4 and the iPad Mini v1, however, will not be upgradeable to iOS 8, because their users will have already become too used to iOS 6 and as we all know, Apple values consistent user experience above all.

And, one more thing! My source tells me that there is something really big coming in 2019. Yes, I will say it! True "Multitasking!" Apple may however, require users to purchase a minimum number of iPads (three or four, my source tells me), depending on how many tasks individual users would like to execute at the same time.

Take that to the bank!

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
The LED flash will be NEXT BIG THING, unveiled as a groundbreaking feature, defining the iPad 5, together with the narrower bezel.

Widgets will come in 2015, as THE new and amazing feature of iOS 8, to be unveiled together with the amazing 4.7" iPhone 7G, which will feature 1080 screen and NFC chip, revolutionizing mobile computing yet again.

The iPad 4 and the iPad Mini v1, however, will not be upgradeable to iOS 8, because their users will have already become too used to iOS 6 and as we all know, Apple values consistent user experience above all.

And, one more thing! My source tells me that there is something really big coming in 2019. Yes, I will say it! True "Multitasking!" Apple may however, require users to purchase a minimum number of iPads (three or four, my source tells me), depending on how many tasks individual users would like to execute at the same time.

Take that to the bank!

What a thoughtful and informative post. Thank you for contributing and hope you'll continue doing so on every other thread in this form. For sake of time efficiency, just copy-paste the text above and post on every iPhone/iPad related discussion.

And all this because you can't turn on the flashlight after exiting a flashlight app? Hah.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Lighting can be very difficult. I've tried several small loupes with built-in LEDs. It seems like a great idea, but they tend to throw off a lot of glare.

The iPad takes great pictures for just documenting things.

I would use a desklamp with a cloth background to get better photos. Also, try apps like CortexCam and HDR apps.

CortexCam averages a large number of pictures to reduce noise. HDR apps blend a few images taken at different exposures to compensate for contrasts in lighting.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
What a thoughtful and informative post. Thank you for contributing and hope you'll continue doing so on every other thread in this form. For sake of time efficiency, just copy-paste the text above and post on every iPhone/iPad related discussion.

And all this because you can't turn on the flashlight after exiting a flashlight app? Hah.

Nope.

It's because I actually just realized that my spanking new iPads 4 don't have LEDs, after I wanted take a picture of my cat in twilight (and at the end I had to go get a real camera to do it).

Apple is traditionally cheap: my first iPhones didn't have GPS, when the two generations of WM phones I had had before did. Yep, Apple made the same "battery life" excuse they always do.

The next time around they made a big deal of the GPS feature, touting maps and navigation and so on.

The iPhone also got a LED flash way after all other smart phones on the market had it (and even now the iPhone LEDs are cheap low-powered affairs).

That's how it will be with NFC and most likely, with LED flash implementation on the iPad.

Apple as a company has mastered nickel-and-diming customers. For instance, most other companies include adapters in the box whenever they introduce a new connector. I am yet to see one with an Apple product. Heck, the Mac Mini doesn't even come with a keyboard and a mouse anymore.

Apple is also damned good at implying features which are not there. I actually had to return two non-3g iPads 4, because I found out the hard way that my $550 iPad WiFi did not have a GPS chip in it -- it never even occurred to me to check, since Apple plasters maps and location images all over, and hides the lack of GPS pretty well. Since I genuinely like Apple's design, I had to spend an additional $150 per unit for the cellular version, just so I can get the $2 GPS chip. If MS did this, everyone will be screaming they are "evil," but when it's Apple, the fans suck it up happily.

Nice to see that the cold winter has not affected your innate sense of humor, BTW.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Get an Ipod touch 5 and bluetooth all pics to your Ipad.

Im sure it would be more exp. but not very much more than if you have to sell your old Ipad and get a new one. This is the case if Apple decides to add flash to Ipad camera.

nibaru

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Reply from other forum

This is the definitive response to all lame explanations of why the iPad doesn't have at least an LED flash for the camera:

"(Many) SLR's don't have built-in flashes"

- Duh, but that's comparing apples to oranges. ALL SLRs that are designed with no built-in flash are equipped with 'shoes' that support a huge array of flash devices and are intended to be used with flashes. The lack of built-in flash has more to do with versatility than intended use.

Speaking of intended use:

"The camera was added specifically for video chats"

Nonsense. The iPad wouldn't have a rear facing camera if that were the case. iPad commercials tout the use of the installed still image software as a feature, so at least Apple thought consumers would use the camera as, well....a camera. Even if that were true, the iPad should have an LED that stays on (as a user option) so that web cam sessions provide clear, well-lit images.

So why doesn't the iPad come with an LED flash (or two)? Power consumption. Apple knows that iPad users take a hella lot of pics, and decent LEDs use a fair amount of power. Additionally, a pair of LEDs might shave .000004% from Apple's margin, and they can't have that.

In short, the lack of flash/LED is a shortcoming, not a 'non-feature because the device wasn't intended to be used as a camera".

As it stands, the iPad's cameras are very, very poor and close to unusable as either a still camera or as a video camera for web cam chats. Even the puniest smart phones have built-in flashes.....it was simply a bad decision on Apples's part not to include a flash (or two).

I love my iPad, but I'm not going to defend every decision Apple makes regarding the device as some people seem compelled to do.

nibaru

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
behind in the game

As a domestic energy assessor, I am required to record evidence in the form of site notes and photographic evidence at each property. It would be a lot easier to use an iphone or similar sized PDA on site. I could get rid of the paperwork, or most of it and use the phone to transmit the data, allowing me to generate a certificate on site. A tablet, being larger, would be far superior in order to record the data. Unfortunately, the operating systems are Apple, windows 7 and the recent introduction of android. I am not aware of a windows 7 tablet? I could go to the expense of an Iphone only to find that it is not practical due to it being too small. I don't particularly want to go to android. But the android samsung 10.1 tablet does have an LED flash!! I would have thought that there are also other android tablets out there with LED flash. I would also have thought that there are plenty of other users in industry that require LED flash. I have always admired Apple products but I feel that they are severely lacking by not having this facility. I always thought that Apple were innovative and I am surprised and disappointed that they seem to be falling behind in the game in relation to other tablets. They have an opportunity not only to catch up, but they could produce the next Ipad with a decent dual LED flash of sufficient brightness to surpass other tablets and lead the field. You can now buy an Iflash for the Iphone, which is like an add on flash. If the new Ipad could at least support this, maybe somebody would produce it? I do believe that there is demand for such!

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I agree, the iPad should have a flash.

What is the reason to NOT use the iPad as a camera? Because some people think it looks stupid? IMO, they are stupid, by avoiding something that works due to some vague misconceptions. A great photographer once said that the best camera is the one you have with you when you want to take a picture, and as such the iPad often is the best camera that there is.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
As a domestic energy assessor, I am required to record evidence in the form of site notes and photographic evidence at each property. It would be a lot easier to use an iphone or similar sized PDA on site. I could get rid of the paperwork, or most of it and use the phone to transmit the data, allowing me to generate a certificate on site. A tablet, being larger, would be far superior in order to record the data. Unfortunately, the operating systems are Apple, windows 7 and the recent introduction of android. I am not aware of a windows 7 tablet? I could go to the expense of an Iphone only to find that it is not practical due to it being too small. I don't particularly want to go to android. But the android samsung 10.1 tablet does have an LED flash!! I would have thought that there are also other android tablets out there with LED flash. I would also have thought that there are plenty of other users in industry that require LED flash. I have always admired Apple products but I feel that they are severely lacking by not having this facility. I always thought that Apple were innovative and I am surprised and disappointed that they seem to be falling behind in the game in relation to other tablets. They have an opportunity not only to catch up, but they could produce the next Ipad with a decent dual LED flash of sufficient brightness to surpass other tablets and lead the field. You can now buy an Iflash for the Iphone, which is like an add on flash. If the new Ipad could at least support this, maybe somebody would produce it? I do believe that there is demand for such!

I don't know what to say to that. It's quite ridiculous to be honest. You think Apple are falling behind and are not innovative because they haven't added an LED flash to the iPad?

The iPad is way ahead of any other tablet, it doesn't need 'to catch up'.

I would also like an LED flash on the iPad, however, I don't think Apple are 'falling behind' by not having one.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
since it already has a camera, a flash would make sense. with that being said, when i see someone taking pictures with their ipad, i kind of want to kick it out of their hands. LOL

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I don't know what to say to that. It's quite ridiculous to be honest. You think Apple are falling behind and are not innovative because they haven't added an LED flash to the iPad?

The iPad is way ahead of any other tablet, it doesn't need 'to catch up'.

I would also like an LED flash on the iPad, however, I don't think Apple are 'falling behind' by not having one.

Your opinion vs. his opinion - take your pick...:rolleyes:

The iPad has one advantage over iPhones/iPod touches - a 9.7" viewfinder. That's a fact. If you need to take a photo and review the details in the image immediately, the iPad is better than the iPhone/iPod touch. It doesn't matter that you can zoom in on the smaller devices, the iPad still allows you to see the overall composition AND the detail more easily.
That being said, a flash would be nice on the iPads. How anyone can argue that not having a feature is better than having a feature is beyond me, especially when that feature can be used optionally and is not detrimental to the other uses of the iPad...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I suppose the flash would come in handy. I've not taken any pics with my ipad mini yet as I've never really thought it useful to use a tablet to take pictures. It would be interesting to compare the results to my iPod touch which has the same camera just minus the flash.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
OP, if lighting is that much of an issue, get actual lights. I have used the LED flash on the iPhone 4 and 4S. It's crap for taking photos. It's REALLY nice for using as a flashlight. But it's too much like using Photoshop to just turn up the brightness.

Spend about $10-15 on a desk lamp with an adjustable neck and get one of the new LED light bulbs at Home Depot that's $10 for the same light output as a 40W incandescent. OK, you could also get a $3 CFL bulb, but that's not as fun. Anyway, point that light at your object and take a photo with your iPad. It'll look way better than any phone or tablet's flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.