Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Not necessarily a good thing for Apple, to let conservative Telecom executive dictate via their old formulae.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I think Orange knows lots about being arrogant, not being flexible at all and not giving a s*** about user complaints. Heck, they're the company that maintains a different cost per kilobyte for email and for 'regular' internet on their payg offer. They piss on net neutrality, charge their customers twice as much as competitors, have the ********* set top box in the Hexagon, crappy access to YouTube and dont allow you to use your phone as a modem or voip terminal without prohibitive additional charges.
No wonder their customer base is steadily reducing towards a fringe of 70+ year olds from the coyntryside who still believe that France Telecom has the monopoly on télécommunications.

So yeah they can talk...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So many CEOs are happy that they now have to meet with Tim instead of Steve. Steve probably made them feel like fools no matter what their status. Of course it was that arrogance that turned Apple around.

Gosh, and I thought it was great products that turned Apple around. Seems they really only needed an exaggerated sense of their own importance.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The French have won more wars than most countries have including the USA.

But go on make fun of the French.

What on earth do ancient military victories have to do with this article?

glynhughes

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Is that the same as "less cutting edge" and "in the fast race toward mediocrity"?

I'm afraid it is. Disappointed to think that apple might be cow towing to carriers as a way to boost sales.
Aside from the retail potential they offer, all orange and the rest have to do is build network coverage and capacity - and they're universally poor at it. Experts at 'managed dissatisfaction'. Shame such greedy, lazy outfits think they should be calling the shots.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Translation

A shorter Stephane Richard: "The success of Android as a viable competitor is moving control back towards where it 'belongs': into the hands of telecom carriers."

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Sometimes natural brilliance and the desire to TRULY better others, is mistaken for arrogance by the ignorant. RIP Steve, RIP.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Flexibility means that they are allowing telecoms greater say. Exactly what we need, masters of access to information telling me how I can access said information (such as charging for tethering while not boosting the data cap at all, I paid for the data, it doesn't cost you a ****ing dime to allow me to use that data on another device).

:rolleyes:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Cutting emotion out of it, IMO this can be construed in two ways - carriers cutting into some of Apple's margins to lessen their phone subsidy burdens; OR carriers going back to their old ways of foisting incompetent customizations on phone firmware.

Not owning AAPL; I personally don't care about the former. The latter would be a crazy reversion of half a decade of Steve's work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.