Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage5.png
Apple has settled a lawsuit brought in 2011 after children ran up hundreds of dollars in spending on in-app purchases in freemium games.

The company will give iTunes credits to parents who claim their minor bought in-app items without permission and the option of cash refunds for claims over $30.

Reports GigaOm:
The proposed settlement comes after parents sued Apple in 2011 upon discovering that their minor children had racked up credit card charges in supposedly free games. The issue was the subject of a Daily Show feature about a father whose kids racked up hundreds of dollars to keep virtual fish alive in a game called "Tap Fish."

[...]

In order to collect under the settlement, Apple users will have to attest that a minor bought "game currency" and that the user did not provide the minor with the Apple password.
The FTC looked into parental concerns over in-app purchases, but apparently let the lawsuit run its course before acting. The agency has examined other issues with kids using mobile apps, particularly around privacy. Late last year, the agency expanded the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act to cover mobile games and social media.

Apple will send email notices to the 23 million iTunes account holders who are affected by the settlement. The full settlement document is available on Scribd.

The company began requiring passwords for in-app purchases in iOS 4.3, soon after concerns over unauthorized purchases came to light. In-app purchases can now also be shut off entirely.

Article Link: Apple Settles In-App Purchase Lawsuit, Offers iTunes Credits and Refunds to Parents

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
"but I gave my child full access to my phone, and my child did something I didn't want my child to do. WAHHHHHHH IT'S YOUR FAULT APPLE"

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
More like parenting fail. I rarely am on Apple's side on some issues, but this is one where parenting needs to happen. Things as common as telling your kids, don't buy stuff even if its the game are common sense.

Parenting now a days is easier than ever and yet, parents keep finding the blame anywhere but themselves.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why can't there be an option to disable in-app purchases?

Did you read the article? There is that option now, but there wasn't at first.

I think this is partially Apple's responsibility, since they weren't requesting a password when the in-app purchasing feature was first added, making it too easy for kids to make unauthorized purchases.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Parents out there

Stop spoiling your kids!

Go throw them outside and let them play for Christ sake!

Why back in my days we'd play till it got dark not on our devices.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA

I think this is partially Apple's responsibility, since they weren't requesting a password when the in-app purchasing feature was first added, making it too easy for kids to make unauthorized purchases.

Ummm.... stealing a credit card?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Parents out there

Stop spoiling your kids!

Go throw them outside and let them play for Christ sake!

Why back in my days we'd play till it got dark not on our devices.

ohhh you mentioned christ. im offended. lets see how fast the mods take it down.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012

They probably thought people who could afford a 700$ phone or a 2000$ contract wouldn't have a problem with a .99$ app.

It is not apples fault that parents gave their children access to their credit card. iTunes/ Xbox/ PayPal/ amazon etc do the same thing.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Perhaps someday these kids will grow up and sue their parents for negligence and a lack of ability. Based on articles like this, the courts will side with the kids, who will receive plenty of compensation from their parents. They will then use this money to buy things from Apple.

Thus completing the circle of stupidity. Yep, Apple is playing the long game.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
:confused:

In my opinion, Apple isn't responsible to reimburse the parents.

If you link your credit card to your iTunes account you're inviting its use. You wouldn't give your credit card to your child and send him/her into a mall. This is no different.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
More like parenting fail. I rarely am on Apple's side on some issues, but this is one where parenting needs to happen. Things as common as telling your kids, don't buy stuff even if its the game are common sense.

Parenting now a days is easier than ever and yet, parents keep finding the blame anywhere but themselves.

it's not as straightforward as that.

Many games were designed to take advantage of this fact by making the in-app-purchase deceptively easy to purchase, and it not being very clear that real money was being charged (since no password was required).

arn

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting amount of blame being placed on parents.

I believe this is Apple's fault. They made the mistake of allowing IAP to be purchased without entering a password. The parent's unwittingly enter their passwords so their kids can download "free" apps (that + in the corner isn't at all intuitive. For several months I thought that meant an app was designed for iPhone and iPad.) The kids then go on to make IAPs without having to enter any passwords.

While I often agree that parents point their fingers in too many directions, this is one case where parents are in the right and the company they're suing is in the wrong.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
So, if all 23 million people do claim, for an average of $10 each. Thats.. expensive.

I personally don't think it's apples fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.