Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffylew77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
What are your thoughts? I personally think it is slow(always crashing), text is jumbled, and is lacking mac games.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I buy my games from steam because they treat me as a customer with respect. I have learnt to trust them.

EA haven't earned that level of trust, nor are they even attempting to do so. Their software is not welcome on any of my computers.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I've been pretty happy with the steam experience in both PC and mac side. I think EA is too unstable for me to trust digital purchases for the long term.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Something about Origin just bothers me, it feel intrusive and I only have about 4 games I can play using it.

I have built up a huge library in steam and now just for the sake of a few mouse clicks will not use a game that forces me to use another client as well as steam.

I think I like steam because it has a massive selection of games, I have got used to it over many many years and I have a packed friends list. To leave all that behind and jump to a new client just doesn't seem worth it.

The prices are generally awful, although battlefield 3 is only £9.99 just now I want to buy it but I don't want to launch the game through origin and use a web browsers as a server browser for the game so I guess I am not buying it.

I want Sim City when it comes out but I just don't want to install origin at all, forcing a client on me actually makes me want to play EA games less.

I know steam is forced on me for some games but there is a whole ecosystem there that has been built for many many years so people are a bit more forgiving when a game forces you to use steam when you already have 97 other games in your library.

I don't know if what I typed even makes sense but I just don't like it, EA have went from being reasonably well thought of 10+ years ago to just being hated now.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
The experience I made with origin on Windows was incredibly awful (buggy software, random updates all the time, and the possibility to really stalk your friends when they played the last time and for how long). I'm not gonna install this crap on OS X. Steam it is.

psharp

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Downloaded it in anticipation of Sim City release, that's about the only business they'll get from me. I don't really care for steam either. If I can avoid it I just download things through steam and as long as I'm not doing multiplayer (which is always) I just move them out of the file steam store them in and launches from.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Why have another Store App? To comfortably buy all DLCs for The Sims?

EA is a humongous company and I hear they act like it by providing not so great customer service and overall support for their games. Seems to me it's just $$$ to them.

The only reason I installed Steam is because it helps the indie scene to sell their projects and nothing matters as long as players want it. Something we never see in Origin, I think.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Apart from EA published games, I don't feel the need for Origin. And there doesn't seem to be anything else than Sim City and the Sims.

Now, if they actually offered Mac versions of games like Crysis or Battlefield etc. then I might be interested.

BKScripto

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Downloaded it in anticipation of Sim City release, that's about the only business they'll get from me. I don't really care for steam either. If I can avoid it I just download things through steam and as long as I'm not doing multiplayer (which is always) I just move them out of the file steam store them in and launches from.

Same here! I downloaded the Origin app (reluctantly) in anticipation for SimCity. But EA/Maxis is leaving Mac users in the dark so I may end up not getting it at all. It's aggravating not even being able to preorder it yet. Anyone heard any news on this?

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
I didn't even bother to try. EA has a bad reputation of turning of server for any games which didn’t—or do no longer—make enough money for them.

http://www.ea.com/en/1/service-updates

Of course I agree that they need to make money to pay their employees. But instead of shutting down their own servers without any alternative solution, they could allow players to run their own servers.

But for now it seems that EA thinks they know best when to cut down the multiplayer part of a game.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hmm, I guess it remains popular to hate EA.

I installed Origin recently and have had good experience with it. It starts up quickly and is stable in my experience. I have seen zero problems with it.

Customer service was very good in helping me get a couple games I already owned by EA for Mac, added to my Origin account. It was very nice to deal with a human being who was actually helpful and got my problem solved which is a lot more than I can say for past experiences with Steam when there is an issue. Anyone who has used Steam's support system knows it is lacking to put it mildly.

Anyway, I like both Steam and now Origin just fine personally. And Origin now carries Feral games! I like that it auto updates, provides a central place to launch games and tracks time I spend playing each one.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Origin is still a mess even on Windows. Featureless compared to Steam.

Too bad Crysis 3 is restricted to their god-awful software.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Origin is still a mess even on Windows. Featureless compared to Steam.

Too bad Crysis 3 is restricted to their god-awful software.

How is Origin "a mess" or "god-awful software?"

It is a simpler client than Steam which could be seen as a plus where it starts up much quicker than Steam does which is nice when you just want to play something. The client works just fine in my experience. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

On the other hand, the Steam client for ages was leaking memory on my iMac to the tune of 3 gigs before it would finally crash. During the last holiday sale the Steam client was again screwed up until the sale was over and would frequently consume ridiculous amounts of ram and crash. If any client was ever a mess it was the Steam client. On a bright note, they finally seem to have corrected the most glaring issues and it is more stable now. However it still remains slow with a ponderous loading time.

----------

Anyone knows if EA has planned more games to come out in Origin for Mac?

I still see the same Sims + Feral games....

I'm sure they do plan to release more games for Mac. For one thing, they were looking for a developer to port the Frostbite 2 engine to OS X.

They would not have released the Origin client for Mac without plans to make money selling games for Mac on an ongoing basis. As for what games and when? Who knows but EA themselves?

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I don't understand why Dragon Age: Origins was available for Mac and Windows before the release of Origin but my Origin client now says that it's only available for Windows.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Only downloaded it to play SimCity. I mean, SimServers.

Purchased Tomb Raider the same night off of Steam and Steam is such a pleasant experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.