Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Nope. Knowingly and willfully violating the terms of a contract is an unfortunate by-product of that contract being adapted after the fact by ATT without giving me reasonable options to use what I pay for.

How was the contract "adapted after the fact"? Are you saying that when you signed up for AT&T your data plan contract allowed tethering, and then they changed the contract to forbid tethering? As far as I know AT&T's basic data plan for the iPhone has always had a clause forbidding tethering. Whether it's reasonable or not for AT&T to charge extra for tethering is a separate question from whether they've reneged on a contract as you seem to be implying.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Nope. Knowingly and willfully violating the terms of a contract is an unfortunate by-product of that contract being adapted after the fact by ATT without giving me reasonable options to use what I pay for.
And I said it was rude to assume that I laugh at folks. I don't care enough about what you do with your iPhone or think about what I do with my iPhone to laugh at you.

If AT&T changes the contract after you sign it, you have the opportunity to cancel the contract without penalty. The contract you signed explicitly disallowed tethering. That's not a case of the "contract being adapted after the fact" by anyone. It's just a case of you knowingly and willfully violating the terms of the contract you signed.

Oh, and I didn't say anything about anyone laughing at anybody else. That was someone else.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
How was the contract "adapted after the fact"?

If AT&T changes the contract after you sign it, you have the opportunity to cancel the contract without penalty.

I don't know what my original iPhone contract said about tethering; didn't even know it was mentioned. But now that I have something to tether, I actively don't care what it says. I won't switch from ATT for a variety of reasons, but I will use my unlimited data how I want.
tbrinkma--sorry I got you confused with whoever

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Of course they do and you agreed to it! You signed the contract where the terms of usage are clearly stated. Tethering is not included in that usage. If you want tethering, pay for their plan. If not, break your contract and don't be surprised if they cut you off or take action. You don't have a legal leg to stand on if they do come after you/cut you off.

You can use all the 5gigs you want per their terms. However, the plans are priced as such that the median usage is less than 5gigs. If they expected everyone to use 5 gigs, they would make the plans more expensive. That doesn't mean you can't use your allotted 5gigs/month in the way you signed up for. I would also bet you don't use exactly 5gigs/month every month right?

This is not a hard concept and this is not the only industry that uses assumptions in overall actual usage when creating "allotments"

The simple fact is, I paid for 2GB, I don't care if they allocated for it or not, if I want it, its there for me to use. It's just a simple right to net neutrality, data is date, doesn't matter whats going through, its a dumb pipe IMO. Who the hell reads a terms of use anyways? I am pretty sure you didn't read the whole thing. I'll keep using my 2GB any way I want, and one day the cell companies will realize their foolish attempts to try and limit people for their greedy pockets. And yours too seeing as you most likely work for one or are linked to them somehow as I don't know anyone that would stand up for the evil companies as much as you have.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The simple fact is, I paid for 2GB, I don't care if they allocated for it or not, if I want it, its there for me to use. It's just a simple right to net neutrality, data is date, doesn't matter whats going through, its a dumb pipe IMO. Who the hell reads a terms of use anyways? I am pretty sure you didn't read the whole thing. I'll keep using my 2GB any way I want, and one day the cell companies will realize their foolish attempts to try and limit people for their greedy pockets. And yours too seeing as you most likely work for one or are linked to them somehow as I don't know anyone that would stand up for the evil companies as much as you have.

The simple fact is you agreed to it via their terms if you want to get all technical about it.

No I don't work for them. Just astonished how people don't know the terms under their contract and seemingly think they are owed it when it explicitly says otherwise. I am not for it but I am not naive in my thinking like many here seem to be.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
The simple fact is you agreed to it via their terms if you want to get all technical about it.

No I don't work for them. Just astonished how people don't know the terms under their contract and seemingly think they are owed it when it explicitly says otherwise. I am not for it but I am not naive in my thinking like many here seem to be.

That's fine to be that way, many a people have sat by on the sidelines instead of raising a voice of protest when clearly a company is taking advantage of their customers.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
That's fine to be that way, many a people have sat by on the sidelines instead of raising a voice of protest when clearly a company is taking advantage of their customers.

You mistakingly think I support the practice....

I am just pointing out the flaws in everyone's logic thinking they can tether and it being their right to do so.

Now aside from posting here, what have you done to raise your voice?

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
The simple fact is, I paid for 2GB, I don't care if they allocated for it or not, if I want it, its there for me to use.

That's the oversimplified fact. :) The fact is that you paid for 2GB that you can use on your phone. Don't believe me? Just read the contract you signed. When you sign a contract, you don't get to just selectively pick the parts of it that you want to obey, and ignore the rest, and still claim the moral high ground.

Now, I think you might have a point if AT&T were the only cell phone company around, and tethering was a basic necessity of life. Then you could argue that AT&T are morally obligated to offer a good deal, due to their monopoly control of a basic resource. The reality though is that AT&T is not a monopoly, and tethering is just a luxury feature for most people, so the moral high ground way of responding if you don't like their contract terms is to shop around for a different contract. Or you can just break the contract and be honest about the fact that you don't really care about being in the right.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
That's the oversimplified fact. :) The fact is that you paid for 2GB that you can use on your phone. Don't believe me? Just read the contract you signed. When you sign a contract, you don't get to just selectively pick the parts of it that you want to obey, and ignore the rest, and still claim the moral high ground.

Now, I think you might have a point if AT&T were the only cell phone company around, and tethering was a basic necessity of life. Then you could argue that AT&T are morally obligated to offer a good deal, due to their monopoly control of a basic resource. The reality though is that AT&T is not a monopoly, and tethering is just a luxury feature for most people, so the moral high ground way of responding if you don't like their contract terms is to shop around for a different contract. Or you can just break the contract and be honest about the fact that you don't really care about being in the right.

The reality is in my area only two cell phone companies exist that provide decent service verizon and at&t. They have a monopoly over the air waves. Sure other services exist but at*t and verizon bought up all the spectrum and they know it. so really only two companies provide the level of service expected and they screw their customers over because they know that. Just look at what AT&T does with facetime, not allowing people that have been with them for years and have an unlimited plan from using the service while on 3G/4G. Now if they ate their own words and believed only 1-2% might over use that service because everyone else doesn't use that much data then they would just allow people with unlimited plans to use facetime over 3g/4g. Worst of all its not a service really by AT&T, they turned it into that by blocking the protocol at the network level... skype and other things work fine. But AT&T knows they can scam people this way just like they do with tethering. Quote the contract as much as you like, I am not arguing with you on that point. I am arguing with you on what is morally responsible from a companies perspective to its clients.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The Carriers don't mind changing the rules any time they feel like it.

----------

I used to think that too but there are some pretty nice apps that I really want.
MyWi for tethering as I am on Verizon unlimited still because I paid full price for my iPhone 5 yet they want me to pay extra for tethering. Even though part of the deal with Verizon buying public spectrum for LTE was to not block tethering. Well they no longer block it but you can't get a tethering app from the app store or turn on tethering on the iPhone without paying Verizon.
Unrestricted for using LTE for any size or type of download including syncing photo stream.
Signal for telling where your phone or iPad is connecting and the signal strength.
iBlacklist for blocking specific numbers.
iCleaner recovered 2 GB of space on my iPad and almost 1 GB on my iPhone and sped things up.
SB settings

For the first time since switching to iPhones when the 4 came out, I am not interested in jailbreaking.

I've never been into the tweaks that steal battery life and processor cycles, and the addition of Do Not Disturb to the firmware has basically taken care of the only reason I had to jailbreak.

I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for some fabulous application nobody's thought of before, but jailbreaking with the iPhone 5 is just not a priority for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.