Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Hi, I need some advice in my next purchase. I have 8GB of music always with me , I like to take a lot pictures and record video anywhere. I need a device with a good battery support. I used to have an Iphone 4 16GB and it was my only device for everything (internet, FB, whatsapp, music, apps, video and photos), but the problem was the iphone battery, it drains very fast!

Which device do you recomend me? The Ipod Touch 5g 64 GB + Maybe a Qwerty Phone only for Whatsapp, Phone Calls and Text SMS or and Iphone 5?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
iphone 5 + mophie juice pack air if the phone features are very important to you. The Mophie case will beef up the battery life.

If you don't want to pay the monthly toll for a full iPhone and are willing to make some sacrifices of anywhere/anytime phone service (unless you are around wifi for much of your day)...

iPad Mini with LTE if you could get by on VOIP apps for voice, texting, etc if you will need 3G/4G service some of the time.

iPod Touch if you could get by on VOIP apps for voice, texting, etc and are around wifi for much of your day.

If you are willing to carry 2 separate devices...

iPod Touch + a Mifi device if you want iPhone-like pocketability but will need 3G/4G service some of the time. Mifi should be smaller & lighter vs. carrying a separate "dumb" phone.

iPod Touch + "dumb" phone.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hi, I need some advice in my next purchase. I have 8GB of music always with me , I like to take a lot pictures and record video anywhere. I need a device with a good battery support. I used to have an Iphone 4 16GB and it was my only device for everything (internet, FB, whatsapp, music, apps, video and photos), but the problem was the iphone battery, it drains very fast!

Which device do you recomend me? The Ipod Touch 5g 64 GB + Maybe a Qwerty Phone only for Whatsapp, Phone Calls and Text SMS or and Iphone 5?

I recommend whatever fits your needs. Which would you rather have on you. Simple.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The answer is already in the question.

Stand alone phone will drain battery crazy to you are a photo and video addict. Not to mention you have 8 GB of music which will only increase. Iphone 5 64Gb can be expensive compare to IPT.

Get a cheap BB phone for whatspp and i doubt the touch 5 will add much bulk even if you carry 2 devices.

Nighttracker

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012

I'm running a cheap little Nokia C3-01 phone with a $38 (cdn) plan that gives me unlimited evening calling, 150mb data, 10 favorite numbers etc... then I carry my iPod Touch 5G with me for pictures, music, video etc... With this combination I can tether both devices easily and check mail, twitter, FB etc... anywhere I like. I find this is a great little setup and I don't mind carrying 2 devices.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013

Stand alone phone will drain battery crazy to you are a photo and video addict. Not to mention you have 8 GB of music which will only increase. Iphone 5 64Gb can be expensive compare to IPT.

Get a cheap BB phone for whatspp and i doubt the touch 5 will add much bulk even if you carry 2 devices.

Good one! A BB phone are very useful. I used to have a BB Torch 9810 and it was a very looking good phone with good battery. Maybe I will buy a BB Torch 9810 and Ipod Touch 5g 64GB until the BB Q10 release.

Can I use the BB phone as a modem?

----------

I'm running a cheap little Nokia C3-01 phone with a $38 (cdn) plan that gives me unlimited evening calling, 150mb data, 10 favorite numbers etc... then I carry my iPod Touch 5G with me for pictures, music, video etc... With this combination I can tether both devices easily and check mail, twitter, FB etc... anywhere I like. I find this is a great little setup and I don't mind carrying 2 devices.

What about the picture quality of the Ipod Touch 5G. Is it good?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Good one! A BB phone are very useful. I used to have a BB Torch 9810 and it was a very looking good phone with good battery. Maybe I will buy a BB Torch 9810 and Ipod Touch 5g 64GB until the BB Q10 release.

Can I use the BB phone as a modem?

----------

What about the picture quality of the Ipod Touch 5G. Is it good?

It's not as good as the 5 but way better than the previous iPod touch.

Nighttracker

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
For taking simple photos and video of daily doings I find its not bad at all, if the lighting is good.
For better photos I still use my canon.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

I support racoonboy's suggestion, the thread-starter should go with this if he can.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Are videos shot with the Touch 5 the same quality as the iP5. I ask because I can't see the 8mp vs 5mp camera being relevant for movies as a lot of data must be thrown away.

I'd like to get a definitive answer, if anyone knows for sure.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
I did this for 6 years, since the iPod Touch Gen 1. I carried a Blackberry and an iPod Touch everywhere. It was fine, but frustrating when I wanted to use the internet for anything.

Now I replaced those 2 devices with 1 iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. Fewer devices to charge, fewer pockets to juggle, great web experience, all information in 1 device simplifies everything. It has a faster processor than the Touch, better display, better camera. I have a mophie helium battery pack if my juice is running low, but I try to keep it plugged in wherever I am (office, car) so there are rarely any times that I need to use it.

I can't imagine going back to having 2 devices now.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I did this for 6 years, since the iPod Touch Gen 1. I carried a Blackberry and an iPod Touch everywhere. It was fine, but frustrating when I wanted to use the internet for anything.

Now I replaced those 2 devices with 1 iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. Fewer devices to charge, fewer pockets to juggle, great web experience, all information in 1 device simplifies everything. It has a faster processor than the Touch, better display, better camera. I have a mophie helium battery pack if my juice is running low, but I try to keep it plugged in wherever I am (office, car) so there are rarely any times that I need to use it.

Yep its a pain.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013

How much time does the Mophine Helium Battery adds to the Iphone 5? I guess that the Iphone 5 battery capacity is about 6 - 7 hours, doesnt it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.