Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Who do they think they are?
Superiority isn't arrogance.
They need to be punished for their insolence.
Apple should just buy France Telecom.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
A shorter Stephane Richard: "The success of Android as a viable competitor is moving control back towards where it 'belongs': into the hands of telecom carriers."

Cutting emotion out of it, IMO this can be construed in two ways - carriers cutting into some of Apple's margins to lessen their phone subsidy burdens; OR carriers going back to their old ways of foisting incompetent customizations on phone firmware.

Not owning AAPL; I personally don't care about the former. The latter would be a crazy reversion of half a decade of Steve's work.

These are the things that I'm gathering as well.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
When I first heard about Google's plans to roll out gigabit fiber,
I really thought Apple should have bought a telecom.

I really don't think we are that far out to be honest. It's going to be Google vs. Apple vs. one of the big guns (probably AT&T).

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
France Telecom is the old name. It is now Orange and it is the biggest carrier in Europe.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The uses of perfectionism

Yes, Apple did have some software clunkers while Steve was there. But nothing like Maps, and iMessage, etc.

When Steve was there, nobody brought out anything unless it was accepted by Steve. And it worked. Yes, it involved his arrogance, his bombast at times, and a lot of people got chewed out in the elevator.

I'd rather have him back anytime.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Apple should have bought AT&T after the failed "merger" with Tmobile. That would have shown them who was boss and then that could have been another service provided by apple to add more value for customers and eventually the whole Apple eco system. Imagine if they owned the dumb pipes as well. That would, as they say, put the (big) cat(s) among the turkeys. Imagine the joy (and savings) of firing all the fat pr....ks in suits and raising wages of the maintenance and install guys. There would be a few more iPhone stores as well with apple staff and mini genius bars and the lying salesmen given the option to stay and join or go.

How big is orange? Can apple buy them or just withdraw the iPhone from them? Android must be the best advertising for the iPhone ever devised. I hope that our friend Stephane is spouting bs because he's angry and not because apple has actually eased off hammering the bastards.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple should have bought AT&T after the failed "merger" with Tmobile. That would have shown them who was boss and then that could have been another service provided by apple to add more value for customers and eventually the whole Apple eco system.

So they could try to be both a partner and a competitor with the other providers? Great plan. You should be running Apple.

Speaking of running Apple, if I was Tim Cook, and one of my employees used the word "ecosystem" in my presence I'd insist that they explain exactly what it means and how it applies to the situation.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
The French have won more wars than most countries have including the USA.

But go on make fun of the French.

The French have lost many more wars than most countries have, including the USA.

Your point?

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Yeah, this thread is full of prejudice and hatred towards the French that I don't quite understand. Actually, it's a pretty arrogant attitude from most of the posters, a "USA #1, woohoo" attitude that makes us despised all around the world. Tone it down, bitches.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Speaking at an event with reporters, France Telecom-Orange CEO Stephane Richard said that Apple was "more flexible", "paying more attention to everyone else" and "a little less arrogant" than they had been in the past, reports AllThingsD.

Richard went on to talk about the some other issues affecting the telecom industry, including the "very difficult" time Windows Phone will have competing with entrenched operating systems like iOS and Android, particularly because the platform doesn't yet have a "'wow' effect".

Article Link: Apple Now 'More Flexible', 'Less Arrogant' Reports France Telecom CEO

That's rich, coming from France Telecom... as soon as they took over Orange in the UK, they went down the tubes completely. Good deals for new customers, but screw you if you've been with us for 7 years. Their customer service is awful. Very arrogant!

----------

The French have lost many more wars than most countries have, including the USA.

Your point?

They have about 1000 years more history than you so you can't be surprised that they 'lost more wars than the USA'. Besides, the USA lost all major skirmishes it has been involved in since WW2- Vietnam anyone? You people still think you won that?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.