Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
My oh my have times changed. I'm quite surprised how people talk about the "Galaxy" phone. I was in a food court, and overheard the table next to me discussing getting new phones. They seemed to be early to mid 20s in age. And wouldn't you know, they were discussing getting the GS4 in the summer. Another time I was in a Best Buy Mobile browsing for a new case for my GS3 and I overheard teenagers discussing how they wish they had a GS3. All I heard was "Galaxy S3" not Android. And to top it all off, in my small office of 35 people, the GS3 is NOW the most common phone, then iPhone, and then BB. Not a single Windows phone.

I'm definitely looking forward to see what they unveil.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sammy is in the same position of Apple. They need to wow people to keep their position in the market. I'm sure they will though.

Unless (like Apple) they grow complacent with their success thinking they have the android market sewn up, and do an Apple, simply offer the exact same thing in a lightly bigger shell with a slightly faster CPU/GPU.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
My oh my have times changed. I'm quite surprised how people talk about the "Galaxy" phone. I was in a food court, and overheard the table next to me discussing getting new phones. They seemed to be early to mid 20s in age. And wouldn't you know, they were discussing getting the GS4 in the summer. Another time I was in a Best Buy Mobile browsing for a new case for my GS3 and I overheard teenagers discussing how they wish they had a GS3. All I heard was "Galaxy S3" not Android. And to top it all off, in my small office of 35 people, the GS3 is NOW the most common phone, then iPhone, and then BB. Not a single Windows phone.

Because the S3 is the HARDWARE, people like the HARDWARE they relate to the HARDWARE. When was the last time you heard someone in an Apple store saying they wanted an iOS 6? No, they say they want the iPhone.

Not sure why someone discussing the name of the device they want as surprising. I would be more surprised if you heard them saying that wanted Android without ever once saying which device.

I am still shocked why it is hard for people to seperate the OS from the hardware when it comes to Android as they are very different things and bring about very very VERY different user experiences.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
. All I heard was "Galaxy S3" not Android. And to top it all off, in my small office of 35 people, the GS3 is NOW the most common phone, then iPhone, and then BB. Not a single Windows phone.

For those on carrier contracts the GS3 was a bit of a bargain. Generally the hardware was free on contract, whereas the iPhone 5 represented a further investment of €200-300 here for the most basic model on contracts.

It made the GS3 seem like a great bargain, coupled with very good marketing from Samsung (they were everywhere in your face) really meant the GS3 deserved the success.

Now a lot of those users that Samsung wooed with the GS3 are now tied into 24 month contracts, so they clearly won't be the ones getting the GS4.

This I think is why (or at least one of the reasons) Apple decided to go the 's' route every other year as it makes the new device better but not necesserily so exponentially so that those with the previous non s model who were halfway through their contracts did not feel disappointed in their current handset, whilst still offering something shiny and new and more powerful to those that are just due an upgrade.

So will the GS4 basically be the equivalent of the GS3-S ?

How would people feel if it packed the same design aesthetics, but swapped out its internals with a 1080p screen at 4.8" and sligh CPU/GPU bump....

Would that be enough? Given they have sold 60 million GS3's I suspect it probably would be.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
For those on contacts the GS3 was a bit of a bargain. Generally the hardware was free on contract, whereas the iPhone 5 represented a further investment of €200-300 here for the most basic model on contracts.

It made the GS3 seem like a great bargain, couples with very good marketing from Samsung (they were everywhere in your face) really meant the GS3 deserved the success.

Now a lot of those users that Samsung wooed with the GS3 are now tied into 24 month contracts, so they clearly won't be the ones getting the GS4.

This I think is why (or at least one of the reasons) Apple decided to go the 's' route every other year as it makes the new device better but not necesserily so exponentially so that ths with the previous non s model currently halfway through their contract feeling disappointed in their current handset, whilst still offering something new and more powerful to those that are just due an upgrade.

How would people feel if it packed the same design shell, but swapped out its internals with a 1080p screen at 4.8" and sligh CPU/GPU bump....

Would that be enough? Given they have sold 60 million GS3's I suspect it probably would be.

I think it would be and for some of us fairly recent GS3 buyers with 18 months left on contract, we would be very happy to have the big upgrade next year...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
For those on carrier contracts the GS3 was a bit of a bargain. Generally the hardware was free on contract, whereas the iPhone 5 represented a further investment of €200-300 here for the most basic model on contracts.

It made the GS3 seem like a great bargain, coupled with very good marketing from Samsung (they were everywhere in your face) really meant the GS3 deserved the success.

This I think is why (or at least one of the reasons) Apple decided to go the 's' route every other year as it makes the new device better but not necesserily so exponentially so that those with the previous non s model who were halfway through their contracts did not feel disappointed in their current handset, whilst still offering something shiny and new and more powerful to those that are just due an upgrade.

How would people feel if it packed the same design aesthetics, but swapped out its internals with a 1080p screen at 4.8" and sligh CPU/GPU bump....

Since when was the S3 ever a bargain phone, or free on contract? I paid $200 on contract just like I have done with every iPhone I have ever purchased. It certainly wasn't any cheaper. However, I have multiple lines on my account so I'll definitely be buying the Galaxy S4, and passing my S3 down.

Also your comment about Apples "S" upgrades only halfway makes sense. Sure if you bought into Apples complete redesign, the S upgrade isn't as inciting. However what if you bought into the S upgrade, does that mean you're getting screwed over the next year when there's a complete overhaul of the next iPhone? Not really, keep in mind not everyone needs to be on the bleeding edge of tech and there are a lot of people still using their iPhone 4's, and I even see some 3G/S's out in the wild too.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
It will be VERY interesting to see what model SoC Samsung uses for the Galaxy S IV sold through AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless. Note that US-market Galaxy S III's didn't use the quad-core Exynos SoC, but the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 because of the need for 3GPP LTE support. Will the US-market Galaxy S IV use the quad-core version of the Snapdragon S4?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
It will be VERY interesting to see what model SoC Samsung uses for the Galaxy S IV sold through AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless. Note that US-market Galaxy S III's didn't use the quad-core Exynos SoC, but the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 because of the need for 3GPP LTE support. Will the US-market Galaxy S IV use the quad-core version of the Snapdragon S4?

Sammy uses a quad core Exynos in the Note 2. Hopefully, they continue that for the GS4

----------

I'm not surprised. You never see the newest iPhone model available for free via contract, but that's not the case for the GS3. AT&T, Sprint, and TMo all had sales around Christmas time for the phone. Its a no brainer to get the S3 when the cheapest iPhone 5 was on sale for $149

----------

I think it would be and for some of us fairly recent GS3 buyers with 18 months left on contract, we would be very happy to have the big upgrade next year...

I used my upgrade to get a S2, S3, iPhone 5, and now S4. AT&T has had no issues giving me early upgrades every couple months.

----------

Unless (like Apple) they grow complacent with their success thinking they have the android market sewn up, and do an Apple, simply offer the exact same thing in a lightly bigger shell with a slightly faster CPU/GPU.

They already have. The S3 is basically an S2 with faster internals and better screen, like 4S to 5.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Since when was the S3 ever a bargain phone, or free on contract? I paid $200 on contract just like I have done with every iPhone I have ever purchased. It certainly wasn't any cheaper. However, I have multiple lines on my account so I'll definitely be buying the Galaxy S4, and passing my S3 down.

Also your comment about Apples "S" upgrades only halfway makes sense. Sure if you bought into Apples complete redesign, the S upgrade isn't as inciting. However what if you bought into the S upgrade, does that mean you're getting screwed over the next year when there's a complete overhaul of the next iPhone? Not really, keep in mind not everyone needs to be on the bleeding edge of tech and there are a lot of people still using their iPhone 4's, and I even see some 3G/S's out in the wild too.

1.... Since WHEN does everyone ONLY live in the United States ? ;) In Europe (UK & Ireland more specifically as I cant say for other European carriers) the SGS3 was more often than not free on 24 month contracts.

2.... Half makes sense ? Yet your counter position regarding people not needing bleeding edge tech, just validates my point. That it is of less importance of the SGS4 being dramatically more powerful than the SGS3, and that indeed incremental changes 'may' be what Samsung opt's for...

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
1.... Since WHEN does everyone ONLY live in the United States ? ;) In Europe (UK & Ireland more specifically as I cant say for other European carriers) the SGS3 was more often than not free on 24 month contracts.

2.... Half makes sense ? Yet your counter position regarding people not needing bleeding edge tech, just validates my point. That it is of less importance of the SGS4 being dramatically more powerful than the SGS3, and that indeed incremental changes 'may' be what Samsung opt's for...

In fairness, one has to pay a premium monthly charge to get the S3 free, nearly £40 a month on O2, the iPhone 5 came in at about £45 a month IIRC. I can't comment on the other carriers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In fairness, one has to pay a premium monthly charge to get the S3 free, nearly £40 a month on O2, the iPhone 5 came in at about £45 a month IIRC. I can't comment on the other carriers.

In fairness in Ireland we only do premium monthly charges :D :p

It's actually quite scary comparing O2 / vodafone & 3's pricing models compared to the UK considering how many minutes / data and texts we get compared to you.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Please, please, please... No more physical home button.

I know it's unlikely, but please, Samsung, some things shouldn't strive to be like the iPhone. Look to your fellow brethren who have moved on to the future with capacitive and/or on-screen buttons.

Look to the future! I implore you!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

The Snapdragon S4 lineup has already been updated, Samsung won't put one of them in their flagship phone.

Rumors have it as either a Exynos CPU or, something I have heard more, the Snapdragon 600.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Please, please, please... No more physical home button.

I know it's unlikely, but please, Samsung, some things shouldn't strive to be like the iPhone. Look to your fellow brethren who have moved on to the future with capacitive and/or on-screen buttons.

Look to the future! I implore you!

The big disadvantage with capacitive/on screen buttons is the wastage of screen area. e.g. Nexus-4 4.7in screen is like a 4.3inch compared to say S3 fully utilized 4.8inch.

Plus I like that you can power on by pressing the home button instead power button on side or top.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The big disadvantage with capacitive/on screen buttons is the wastage of screen area. e.g. Nexus-4 4.7in screen is like a 4.3inch compared to say S3 fully utilized 4.8inch.

Plus I like that you can power on by pressing the home button instead power button on side or top.

I completely agree. They should not be able to claim 4.7" screen and then take up .4" with on screen buttons. It looks clean when the phone is off, but that is a lot of real estate lost.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Love how Samsung has managed to keep everything underwraps compared to certain other manufacturer launches!

Looking forward to the launch and will more then likely be upgrading my Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S4. All im looking for is the following:

Removeable battery
SD Card slot
Nothing silly like glass being used (apart from the screen!)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Love how Samsung has managed to keep everything underwraps compared to certain other manufacturer launches!

Looking forward to the launch and will more then likely be upgrading my Galaxy S3 to the Galaxy S4. All im looking for is the following:

Removeable battery
SD Card slot

That is pretty crazy to me. I wonder if it is because they haven't started production yet? So maybe the release date is closer to june.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
That is pretty crazy to me. I wonder if it is because they haven't started production yet? So maybe the release date is closer to june.

Possibly. Whatever they have done its quite exciting for a flagship phone to be launched which there are no confirmed details about.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010

Removeable battery
SD Card slot

Even worse than glass, they will use the same old plastic that scratches up. No doubt about it. For once, I wish Samsung would give the customers materials worth the money they are paying.

It is absurd you pay $200 for plastic that cost $30 tops while HTC can give you aluminum that feels and costs more for the same price.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Even worse than glass, they will use the same old plastic that scratches up. No doubt about it. For once, I wish Samsung would give the customers materials worth the money they are paying.

It is absurd you pay $200 for plastic that cost $30 tops while HTC can give you aluminum that feels and costs more for the same price.

I have no issue with the plastic they use. Mine hasnt been "scratched up", but even if it was, I can easily buy a replacement back for a few pounds.

Would rather have polycarbonate then glass or aluminum which dents, bends and scratches and cant be replaced!

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I have no issue with the plastic they use. Mine hasnt been "scratched up", but even if it was, I can easily buy a replacement back for a few pounds.

Would rather have polycarbonate then glass or aluminum which dents, bends and scratches and cant be replaced!

The glass on an iPhone 4/4S were easily replaced. 2 screwed and you just pull off the back. :rolleyes:
And they cost a few "pounds".

And have you not seen the S3 backcovers cracking issue? It is well documented.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The glass on an iPhone 4/4S were easily replaced. 2 screwed and you just pull off the back. :rolleyes:

Nope. Had my S3 since launch and had no issues with any of the covers I have.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

I'd like to know what "well documented" means to you, because I'm on XDA and Android Central multiple times a day, everyday, and I've NEVER seen this issue raised.

Further, I've had my S3 since early July of last year. I've had multiple other phones that I've switched between (at the same time), which means removing and reinstalling the back panel on my S3...sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I've yet to see a scratch or crack.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more "premium" materials, but the plastic body of the S3 has been great for me.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I'd like to know what "well documented" means to you, because I'm on XDA and Android Central multiple times a day, everyday, and I've NEVER seen this issue raised.

Further, I've had my S3 since early July of last year. I've had multiple other phones that I've switched between (at the same time), which means removing and reinstalling the back panel on my S3...sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I've yet to see a scratch or crack.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more "premium" materials, but the plastic body of the S3 has been great for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2125262

http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galaxy-s3-general-discussion/469-white-s3-back-cover-cracked.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/199849-hairline-crack-appeared-battery-cover.html

and here is a video for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6wJfrhDOk

And this is only choosing the top few off the forums. There are at least 3 more per forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.