Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffNewland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Iowa
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a way that allows my gmail account on my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro to be synced continuously. I would like to be able to have read an email on one device and have it shown on the other as read instead of having an unread notification. I have messed around on the Gmail setting and still don't have a solution.

If anyone would care to share how the can be accomplished, please do.

Thanks

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am looking for a way that allows my gmail account on my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro to be synced continuously.

This happens by default when you set up the accounts using the standard Gmail configuration in iOS and in recent versions of the Mac OS.
To get it to work, you may need to enable IMAP on your account http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695

and then delete your Gmail accounts on your devices, and recreate them.

EDIT: Full directions are here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1668960&page=ts.cs&rd=1

Choose the "I want to enable IMAP" option.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a way that allows my gmail account on my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro to be synced continuously. I would like to be able to have read an email on one device and have it shown on the other as read instead of having an unread notification. I have messed around on the Gmail setting and still don't have a solution.

If anyone would care to share how the can be accomplished, please do.

Thanks

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

The set up I use to provide realtime syncing of my Gmail across gadgets is to set it up on my computers using IMAP. In 10.8 this is the default when you set your mail up through the System Pref pane "Mail, Calendars and Contacts".

On my iOS devices I set up my Gmail account using Google's Exchange service. You set the account up through Settings on your iDevice by selecting MS Exchange instead of Gmail. Set your surname/password, hit next, it will error out and let you select continue. In the expanded entry form set the server as "m.google.com" your username/password is still your regular login.

PS. Calendars, contacts, reminders, notes will also sync in realtime. But on your computer you need to tell Contacts to sync with Google. Through Contacts>Preferences>Accounts and check the google sync box.

JeffNewland

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Iowa
The set up I use to provide realtime syncing of my Gmail across gadgets is to set it up on my computers using IMAP. In 10.8 this is the default when you set your mail up through the System Pref pane "Mail, Calendars and Contacts".

On my iOS devices I set up my Gmail account using Google's Exchange service. You set the account up through Settings on your iDevice by selecting MS Exchange instead of Gmail. Set your surname/password, hit next, it will error out and let you select continue. In the expanded entry form set the server as "m.google.com" your username/password is still your regular login.

PS. Calendars, contacts, reminders, notes will also sync in realtime. But on your computer you need to tell Contacts to sync with Google. Through Contacts>Preferences>Accounts and check the google sync box.

I am constantly getting a "Cannot get mail" and "the connection to the server failed" when refreshing mail inbox

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I am constantly getting a "Cannot get mail" and "the connection to the server failed" when refreshing mail inbox

I assume you are talking on the iOS device? If so, verify your settings:

Email : this should be your gmail address
Server: m.google.com
Domain: leave blank
Username: your gmail address again
Password: your gmail password
Use SSL: turn this on
S/MIME: leave this off

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
If you haven't previously set up Google as an Exchange account on your current iOS device, you can no longer do so. Google phased out ActiveSync on new devices as of January 30th.

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
I see Mail app Mail get new mail the same time with my iPhone (which is using Microsoft Exchange). I am setting up Gmail as IMAP in ML, does Gmail support IMAP push protocol?

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I see Mail app Mail get new mail the same time with my iPhone (which is using Microsoft Exchange). I am setting up Gmail as IMAP in ML, does Gmail support IMAP push protocol?
Yes, Gmail supports IMAP IDLE. Mail on OS X supports IDLE, but Mail on iOS doesn't (which is why push only works if you setup Gmail as an Exchange account in iOS).

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Yes, Gmail supports IMAP IDLE. Mail on OS X supports IDLE, but Mail on iOS doesn't (which is why push only works if you setup Gmail as an Exchange account in iOS).

Oh thanks. Luckily, I have set up google exchange on ios befoee they prevent us. Now I really want ios to support imap idle and mac os x can support oulook.com exchange. Outlook is the only mail account that i have to setup pop3 on mail mac.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Those are instructions for the Outlook web app in Office 365. Outlook.com only supports POP on desktop and POP and Exchange on mobile.

Umm, there's no "setup" on the outlook web app.

It also supports AES so it can be set up as an Exchange Activesync account. As in System Preferences Mail/Contacts/Calendar and set up as an Exchange account.

But what do I know. It's not like I do it for a living or anything.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Umm, there's no "setup" on the outlook web app.

It also supports AES so it can be set up as an Exchange Activesync account. As in System Preferences Mail/Contacts/Calendar and set up as an Exchange account.

But what do I know. It's not like I do it for a living or anything.
It says right there at the top:
Applies to: Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Microsoft Exchange, Live@edu

And at any rate, Exchange ActiveSync ≠ Exchange. OS X doesn't support EAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.