Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm not surprised. Demand is high for the new iMacs. A lot of people on MacRumors want to complain that Apple isn't meeting their current 'buying criteria' of more power but the truth of the matter is Apple Inc. is filled with smart minds that know society changes, and so does 'buying criteria.'

Not only are iMac's more powerful, but they are thinner, lighter, simpler and more essential—which is what society wants in a desktop machine going forward. Our buying criteria is more influenced by laptops and tablets than anything else.

I talk about buying criteria in my latest podcast. :) :apple: if you want to learn about it and how businesses use it as an innovation strategy.

They are very nice, but still date themselves by not having some sort of upgradable graphics card slot or something. I can't drop $2500+ on a desktop that will be dated in 2 years in terms of the graphics card for doing my graphic/motion graphics on.

At least the laptops are portable. But for a desktop, there needs to be upgradability in the GPU chip somehow (and they need to design it that way)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Trying to decide between building another PC or buying the new 27" iMac. As much as I'd love to get into Mac, I don't know if it's worth buying a £1,600 Mac when I could build a far better photoshop PC for about £800. But I guess that's the compromise you make.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

I am not in the slightest. I assure you I was being very serious. Surely you're aware of supply and demand. After 3 months in, the iMac is still in 3-4 week delivery time frame. People who really want it are going to cough up the extra dough, and this article confirms that people are doing just that.

The consumer should not be paying the price for Apple introducing a technology that wasn't even ready for small scale roll-out, let alone mass production.

Production for a welded screen which means no matter how small the problem the user cannot fix it. It has to go back to Apple, who will no doubt rip you a new one for a repair when out of warranty.

So your happy to to be an Apple guinea pig?

I know I'm happy with the product I've purchased. Happier than with any other iMac I've owned in the past, and I've owned at least two. So what's your point?

You seriously think Apple will drop prices? Apple knows people will continue to buy what they churn out, regardless of value for money. Current iMac being the best example.

When the Mac Mini dropped the ODD, it raised $100 to $699. Either the next refresh or the one after that, it dropped back down to $599. So historically, it has happened before. So yes, I think prices will stabilize once yields get better and the manufacturing process for welding improves.

----------

So this is what society wants going forward? Since when did he speak for society? :rolleyes:

Since sales of the iMac began outpacing every other consumer desktop PC on the market.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The ironic thing is no matter how slim the main body of the iMac it still uses the same about of desk space as the last few models. This is my first iMac and I don't mind the slim design but on the other had where it is on my desk you don't really see the bad or side unless you move it.

But it's not just the exterior design, new CPUs, airflow and cooling make the 2012 run a lot cooler than the 2011.

You seriously think Apple will drop prices? Apple knows people will continue to buy what they churn out, regardless of value for money. Current iMac being the best example.

They just slightly upped the spec on the MBP and dropped it's prices so you never know what Apple could do in a few months.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Thank you, on point and respectful. I'm with you, and there are more of us than just a "few", however not many want to admit such a fact.

Yep, maybe more than just a few but look at this thread as a prime example: most of the people are arguing over the DVD drive 'issue' and don't dig further. That's about the level the mainstream Mac crowd has reached. And it's these people Apple has chosen to serve first.

So, even though I love Apple products, I am very happy with my new PC acquisition for which I didn't have to sell my kids and which is WAY more powerful than any Mac on the market. And as it seems of utmost importance to many, no, it doesn't have a DVD drive nor a floppy disk reader.

Last edited:

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm not surprised. Demand is high for the new iMacs. A lot of people on MacRumors want to complain that Apple isn't meeting their current 'buying criteria' of more power but the truth of the matter is Apple Inc. is filled with smart minds that know society changes, and so does 'buying criteria.'

Not only are iMac's more powerful, but they are thinner, lighter, simpler and more essential—which is what society wants in a desktop machine going forward. Our buying criteria is more influenced by laptops and tablets than anything else.

I talk about buying criteria in my latest podcast. :) :apple: if you want to learn about it and how businesses use it as an innovation strategy.

I'll stick to my PC for my main desktop. I have a MBP so I'm good. I'm a gamer and macs just don't cut it.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
They are very nice, but still date themselves by not having some sort of upgradable graphics card slot or something. I can't drop $2500+ on a desktop that will be dated in 2 years in terms of the graphics card for doing my graphic/motion graphics on.

At least the laptops are portable. But for a desktop, there needs to be upgradability in the GPU chip somehow (and they need to design it that way)

No iMac customer has upgraded the GPU on their iMac (in general, at least) . And it's a very successful product in terms of sales. So there is now monitary/market need to make iMacs GPU upgradable. According to your buying criteria (upgradable GPU a must) the MacPro is your match. Apple made a computer for you.

For those who want a minimal style, 27" display on their desk with nearly insvisible inside components (or getting there, at least) that you just buy and accept then Apple has made an iMac for them.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
"Society" or the consumer didn't ask for a thinner desktop. That is Apples style. Since when do they cater to what the consumer wanted? Do you know anyone who actually looked at their monitor and said, "I wish it was thinner"? How much less space does it take up on a desk than it did before?

I don't think taking things away and making a desktop top run hotter solely for the sake of aesthetics is innovating. The consumer didn't say optical media is dead, we don't want it. Apple did. The consumer didn't say who needs BluRay, Apple did. It's too early to tell about Thunderbolt, but it could be the next Firewire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Apple. I'm just saying that they lead the consumer where they want the consumer to go. They convince the consumer that is what they want. And style and form has a lot to do with it.

I think you make valid points and the way you feel about this is very valid. I relate to the nature of what you're saying. I'm just trying to look at this from a business standpoint, objectively, and what I see from that end is a company (Apple Inc). Most companies don't know anything with 100% certainty. Instead, they make hypothesis and with leaps of faith they test that hypothesis. Apple's hypothesis in this case is that many iMac customers will survive the future product line sans DVD drive, sans FireWire and whatever else they removed, and would in turn appreciate the space/bulk saved, plus make use of thunderbolt technology to minimize ports needed. Apparently they took a leap of faith. They did so not to "force you" but because they MUST innovate (improve) what a computer is in order to sell, not to past, but to future customers. And the future customer isn't using DVDs much. The future customer doesn't need the worlds highest end graphics card. The future customer doesn't need to upgrade the GPU (as another reader suggested). Apples hypothesis is that iMac customers bought an iMac for its simplicity, minimalism, all-in-one nature in the first place so they should deliver more of that. At least that's their hypothesis. If they are wrong, then sales will fall. If they are right, sales will increase.

Obviously they know some customers won't like their changes. You don't seem to like them. And your feelings are valid. But Apples decisions are not aimed at you or me. They are aimed at the future. Innovation faces forward.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
they are very nice, but still date themselves by not having some sort of upgradable graphics card slot or something. I can't drop $2500+ on a desktop that will be dated in 2 years in terms of the graphics card for doing my graphic/motion graphics on.

At least the laptops are portable. But for a desktop, there needs to be upgradability in the gpu chip somehow (and they need to design it that way)

+1

The iMacs, now more than ever, are effectively non-upgradeable super large laptops with a stand permanately attached to them, making them ... less portable than a laptop.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

I'm surprised people still use DVD drives, I can count on one hand how many times I've used mine in the last 5 years.

Raises hand, I do (burning movies and getting older software onto my 2010 iMac), BUT should I continue to need that I will just buy another cd/dvd burner once I put my 2010 iMac out to pasture. A point I hope will not be until a year from now at the very least.

I am growing to like the new iMac designs, after playing with that souped up 27" last week I may just stick with this particular Mac going forward. It all depends on I what I need at the time...

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I'll stick to my PC for my main desktop. I have a MBP so I'm good. I'm a gamer and macs just don't cut it.

Valid. iMacs are great in my opinion but certainly don't satisfy top gaming performance (or selection). I don't think Apple is trying to please every computer need with the iMac.

----------

+1

The iMacs, now more than ever, are effectively non-upgradeable super large laptops with a stand permanately attached to them, making them ... less portable than a laptop.

It IS a super large laptop. And laptops are very powerful and sufficient in 2012/2013. As a designer I prefer the 27" screen. When my wife falls asleep in the bedroom I carry it to the living room to continue my work. It assists me in making money. Hard to work on publication design on anything less than 27" at this point (I'm spoiled by the sheer awesomeness!).

Unfortunately my 2009 iMac is heavy, has a slow HD, and doesn't have Thunderbolt or USB3. I think I'm the customer Apple is aiming at with the new release. I want the 27" laptop.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Probably. Post pc world.

Post PC is ********. The truth is more "new type of PC" world. As in tablets and notebooks etc are slowly becoming the PC of choice. And the desktop (traditional PC of old) is slowly dying.

It's more Post desktop as the main PC world. But post PC on it's own is a flat lie. I wish Apple and Co never used the term.

Last edited by a moderator:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
"Society" or the consumer didn't ask for a thinner desktop. That is Apples style. Since when do they cater to what the consumer wanted? Do you know anyone who actually looked at their monitor and said, "I wish it was thinner"? How much less space does it take up on a desk than it did before?

I don't think taking things away and making a desktop top run hotter solely for the sake of aesthetics is innovating. The consumer didn't say optical media is dead, we don't want it. Apple did. The consumer didn't say who needs BluRay, Apple did. It's too early to tell about Thunderbolt, but it could be the next Firewire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Apple. I'm just saying that they lead the consumer where they want the consumer to go. They convince the consumer that is what they want. And style and form has a lot to do with it.

While the companies are initially the the ones coming out with this new technology, its the customer reactions to these new technologies that can also influence its direction.

One example was given was DVD/CDROM. Mostly only used when installing software or watching movies. Now a lot of software & movies are downloadable. The convenience and instant availability of movies/TV shows online streaming/downloading is having an adverse effect on video rental stores such as blockbusters.

Take 3D television. It was constantly being pushed by the industry, but not really popular at all. They have since moved on and 4K TV seems to be the next new thing they are trying.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think you make valid points and the way you feel about this is very valid. I relate to the nature of what you're saying. I'm just trying to look at this from a business standpoint, objectively, and what I see from that end is a company (Apple Inc). Most companies don't know anything with 100% certainty. Instead, they make hypothesis and with leaps of faith they test that hypothesis. Apple's hypothesis in this case is that many iMac customers will survive the future product line sans DVD drive, sans FireWire and whatever else they removed, and would in turn appreciate the space/bulk saved, plus make use of thunderbolt technology to minimize ports needed. Apparently they took a leap of faith. They did so not to "force you" but because they MUST innovate (improve) what a computer is in order to sell, not to past, but to future customers. And the future customer isn't using DVDs much. The future customer doesn't need the worlds highest end graphics card. The future customer doesn't need to upgrade the GPU (as another reader suggested). Apples hypothesis is that iMac customers bought an iMac for its simplicity, minimalism, all-in-one nature in the first place so they should deliver more of that. At least that's their hypothesis. If they are wrong, then sales will fall. If they are right, sales will increase.

Obviously they know some customers won't like their changes. You don't seem to like them. And your feelings are valid. But Apples decisions are not aimed at you or me. They are aimed at the future. Innovation faces forward.

I guess what I'm missing is why the average consumer would have such a strong desire to have a desktop computer take up a few less square inches of space. I agree with your hypothesis about iMac customers, but IMO, this is telling me they are buying based more on form than anything else.

I do like the looks of the new iMac. It is visually appealing. But at this point in time I'm not getting thinness for the sake of being thin. I don't see how this enhances performance, just aesthetics.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
While the companies are initially the the ones coming out with this new technology, its the customer reactions to these new technologies that can also influence its direction.

One example was given was DVD/CDROM. Mostly only used when installing software or watching movies. Now a lot of software & movies are downloadable. The convenience and instant availability of movies/TV shows online streaming/downloading is having an adverse effect on video rental stores such as blockbusters.

Take 3D television. It was constantly being pushed by the industry, but not really popular at all. They have since moved on and 4K TV seems to be the next new thing they are trying.

Good examples. But neither of these have the loyalty of Apple's customers.

mdmacfan

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012

Depends on the games you play. My Mac Mini is my main system and I game plenty on it (mostly MMOs like EVE, LoTRO, GW2) with a handful of other games like Civ 5, Borderlands 2, and indie ones like FTL, Space Chem, lots of Humble Indie Bundle type of games.

My Windows box is there for the other games that are Windows-only: TSW, X-COM, Skyrim, Fallout3, etc. I literally have only games and Google Chrome installed. Most stable Windows box I've had. ;)

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
My point exactly: few people need a very powerful machine but that doesn't mean these few people aren't out there. I am one of them. I do heavy graphic programming and the whole Apple line of computers at the moment just doesn't cut it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me!), I have a lot of work that can't wait. What did I do? I bought a PC and I turbo-charged it with 4 graphic cards, 64GB RAM and several TB of HD with a Windows 8 Pro (which I'm starting to like, by the way). It doesn't have OS X which I like even better but at the end of the day, I can code in C/C++ on my new machine, use 3D packages and my work is done faster that any current Apple machine could enable me to.

I'm an Apple fan, for sure... but I'm not a blind fan and I start to be tired of all this "thin, thinner, thinnest" crap. I wouldn't mind my iPhone 5 to be a little thicker and for the battery to last me the whole day, a larger iMac that has the specs I need, etc.

Apple choses its customers and who they want to serve. Now, to me, it looks like it's the "facebook-using crowd" they care about as they are not caring for the pros... You know... ...those guys who kept the faith in Apple during the rough years.

Agreed. Big mistake by Apple letting Mac Pros slide. You want the smart guys on your side, if only because their friends and family see that the smartest computer user they know uses a Mac.

But I think Apple is going to come back into this space with a vengeance. The story for the Mac Pro will be "the most powerful computer out there and it is made in America". If Apple doesn't realize that it will be able to sell the Mac Pro to the rich portion of the "facebook-using crowd" on the basis of just that story line, they are missing something big.

digizure

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
So, you think I should have to pay for a built-in DVD drive I'll never use, just so you don't have to spend a few bucks to buy one? I think not!

Dude, the new iMac is the same price as the old one. If I'm paying the same price then I might as well get the DVD and Firewire. This is retarded.

I understand that some of you feel that we do not use DVD or I guess, Firewire, then shouldn't Apple drop the price on the iMac?

----------

There are better ways to back up, and, if you have a new iMac, and if you need FireWire, you can buy an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for $29 at the Apple Store.

Maybe they should have included the adapter when they sell an iMac because you're basically paying the same price for a computer that does not have Firewire. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple but I am disappointed with them lately.

----------

So far, sales disagree with you.

And thankfully so.

Seriously, stop whining about it, let go of the past, and just buy an external drive already.

Ha. I am not "whining" about it but making a point. Keep spending your easy earned bucks on products you're suckered into buying the first place.

----------

if they remove the dvd drive then logically speaking the price should have gone down and not up.

exactly!

----------

FireWire, yes. That was useful. DVD drives are useless to most people though. Why not back up to an HDD or to the "cloud"?

----------

It most certainly is NOT. Look at the graphs together. S&P is at a peak, AAPL at a trough (or at least I hope it's a trough).

I don't really like using the "cloud" because I deal with large files. I'm not saying that I NEED the DVD drive but for the price I'm paying, they might as well throw that in. I do use it but not very often. I still use Firewire and I do use Thunderbolt. Again, Apple should at least throw in the adapter instead of making us pay extra for it when we're paying for a computer that is probably making Apple more money (without the DVD and Firewire).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.