Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 6.1.2 is already used on more iOS devices in the U.S. and Canada than any other version of the operating system, with adoption rates hitting 35% in just six days, according to data from ad network Chitika.

chitika_ios_6_1_2_distribution.jpg
Chitika logged the iOS version used across tens of millions of browser sessions, revealing the dramatic uptake rate.
As this latest update fixed a battery life issue - a major phone feature - it's understandable that the rate of adoption for iOS 6.1.2 would reach these levels so quickly. For comparison, 48 hours following its release, iOS 6.1.2 adoption nearly equaled what we observed for the much more highly anticipated iOS 6 within the same time period - a significant achievement considering this update was centered on an OS bug fix.
iOS 6.1.2 represents the second emergency bug fix rushed out by Apple since the release of iOS 6.1, with iOS 6.1.2's Exchange calendar bug fix following an iOS 6.1.1 release specifically for the iPhone 4S to address an issue with 3G performance.

Article Link: iOS 6.1.2 Adoption Hits 35% in Less Than a Week

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
6.1 is working beautifully for me, and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. I don't use Exchange, and my battery life is better than ever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Surprised it's so high

Both my parents and my wife have iphones and they are all about as far from technology as can be. They dont have a clue that an update is needed nor how to do so. Even as easy as it is to do over the air, they are simply not aware that an update is available or where to go to do it. It surprises me every time I look at their phones and see the number of app updates that they have not applied either. My guess is as Apple as become more prevelent beyond the techy community the upgrade speed will slow down. I can see a great number of people that will update the software only when they get a new phone. For me it's just the opposite, but it's a trend I am noticing.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
That, and the fact that 6.1.2 is the last version of iOS that doesn't fix the envasi0n jailbreak.
I do wonder whether not fixing the jailbreak in iOS 6.1.2 was deliberate on Apple's part? It's been pointed out that Apple's turnaround time in patching has been faster on some previous jailbreaks. In this case perhaps they felt it was better to give jailbreakers one more compatible update rather than having millions of iOS users with potential battery life issues and clogging up corporate Exchange networks because they are reluctant to update and break their jailbreak.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
6.1.3 will have no adoption because it patches the jailbreak ...

I bet within a month of 6.1.3 being released more then 50% will be on it, in fact likely close to 70% based on past trends I have seen when looking at our own usage data.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Both my parents and my wife have iphones and they are all about as far from technology as can be. They dont have a clue that an update is needed nor how to do so. Even as easy as it is to do over the air, they are simply not aware that an update is available or where to go to do it. It surprises me every time I look at their phones and see the number of app updates that they have not applied either. My guess is as Apple as become more prevelent beyond the techy community the upgrade speed will slow down. I can see a great number of people that will update the software only when they get a new phone. For me it's just the opposite, but it's a trend I am noticing.

You make an accurate observation, but I have to take issue with the "trend" aspect of it, as its been this way for years and years, believe me.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I bet within a month of 6.1.3 being released more then 50% will be on it, in fact likely close to 70% based on past trends I have seen when looking at our own usage data.

I don't think you have any facts to back that up, but that said I wasn't trying to make an actual statement, more of a joke. Seeing as people that are jailbroken on 6.1.2 or lower won't upgrade to 6.1.3.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I do wonder whether not fixing the jailbreak in iOS 6.1.2 was deliberate on Apple's part? It's been pointed out that Apple's turnaround time in patching has been faster on some previous jailbreaks. In this case perhaps they felt it was better to give jailbreakers one more compatible update rather than having millions of iOS users with potential battery life issues and clogging up corporate Exchange networks because they are reluctant to update and break their jailbreak.

To be honest I suspect they just felt they couldn't wait, and the Exchange bug had to be fixed ASAP. The carriers will have been going crazy at Apple over the data use, corporate users were definitely furious, users were angry, it was generating a lot of bad press.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
And for what reason? Just wondering...
I've only just find out that the latest Xcode doesn't support iOS 6.1.1 or 6.1.2. So I guess that's a good reason for developers not updating. Very clever, Apple... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was wrong... Something it wasn't working yesterday, but has decided to start working today! ;)

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah I had to restore my jailbroken phone to update it to 6.1.2, but the Exchange fix is important. At least it was jailbreakable.

If, by "All" you mean less than 10%, possibly.

…well I can tell that many people in China have phones jailbroken (a lot more than 10%)… and they don't pay for apps.

I know this because I've bought phones in China and they jailbreak and install whatever apps you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.