Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with last week's confirmation from Staples executives, the office supply giant has now begun offering Apple accessories in its U.S. online store. While the chain has long sold Apple products internationally, this marks the first time it has been able to reach an agreement with Apple for U.S. distribution.

staples_apple_accessories.jpg
Products available through the online store are currently limited to accessories, but do appear to include nearly the full lineup of accessories such as Smart Covers, power adapters, cables, headphones, mice and keyboards. Several more expensive hardware accessories are also available, including the Apple TV, Time Capsules, and AirPort Extreme/Express base stations.

MacRumors heard last month that Staples retail stores in the United States would carry not only accessories but Apple's full lineup of Macs, iPads, and the iPhone 5. We've since heard that Apple's full lineup may be limited to select high-volume Staples retail stores, with rollout tentatively scheduled for late March to accommodate staff training and store setup. We've yet to hear whether Apple accessories have already begun appearing at retail stores alongside today's online store launch.

(Thanks, Magdalena!)

Article Link: Staples Begins Selling Apple Accessories in U.S. Online Store

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Oh no

I come here every day in the vain hope of seeing in big type New Mac Pro announced ! I'd settle for 10.9 released to developers or release date fixed for Logic Pro X. Hell, even 10.8.3 is released would improve my mood somewhat.

But alas all I get is stuff like this :(

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I come here every day in the vain hope of seeing in big type New Mac Pro announced ! I'd settle for 10.9 released to developers or release date fixed for Logic Pro X. Hell, even 10.8.3 is released would improve my mood somewhat.

But alas all I get is stuff like this :(

I agree. This is page 2 stuff. MacRumors is becoming an RSS feed of Apple news. Where are the cool supply chain leaks for the Mac Pro?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. This is page 2 stuff. MacRumors is becoming an RSS feed of Apple news. Where are the cool supply chain leaks for the Mac Pro?

So everyone can b*tch and moan when WWDC comes around and there are no surprises because everything leaked already?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Not sure what all the hate is on Staples. I shop there all the time here in Canada and have never had a real problem with them. Sure, they're the same price, so there's no advantage to buying there if I could also buy from the Apple Store or from Best Buy or Future Shop or even Wal-Mart. But I wouldn't go out of my way NOT to buy from Staples.

They do have an annoying tendency to offer great online deals "in theory" only to find that the website shows out of stock -- so much so that the RedFlagDeals.com forum community likes to refer to them as StOOpleS -- but that shouldn't affect Apple product pricing.

But sometimes they have coupons...

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
A lot of businesses have accounts with Staples. Most of them don't have accounts with Best Buy or Apple.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I buy my office's supplies from Apple. I get about 50 bucks a month in "rewards cash". Free Apple accessories for me!

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

My guess is that they don't have any. Remember, we don't know that the Mac Pro will ever be upgraded.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: Same price?

Apparently, people aren't familiar with Staples' tendency to hand out discount coupons like candy once you sign up with one of their membership cards?

In the D.C. area, we've got a LOT of Staples stores, so I signed up on their web site. Ever since then, I practically always have a coupon in my email offering me a 20% discount on items I either buy online or in the retail stores.

(They've got an offer going until early March where you get 20% off on every single item you can stuff into a recyclable bag they provide, including clearance items! I think furniture is included too -- even though they know it won't fit in a bag. Maybe you can hang your bag on it or something? Heh.)

Not sure what all the hate is on Staples. I shop there all the time here in Canada and have never had a real problem with them. Sure, they're the same price, so there's no advantage to buying there if I could also buy from the Apple Store or from Best Buy or Future Shop or even Wal-Mart. But I wouldn't go out of my way NOT to buy from Staples.

They do have an annoying tendency to offer great online deals "in theory" only to find that the website shows out of stock -- so much so that the RedFlagDeals.com forum community likes to refer to them as StOOpleS -- but that shouldn't affect Apple product pricing.

But sometimes they have coupons...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
In the D.C. area, we've got a LOT of Staples stores, so I signed up on their web site. Ever since then, I practically always have a coupon in my email offering me a 20% discount on items I either buy online or in the retail stores.

I don't know what the fine print says in your area, but I get those coupons frequently too and they usually say "not valid on computers, tablets, or e-readers" :(

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Questioning why you'd buy at staples is simply a matter of proximity/convenience for some.
In some areas of the country, Staples are far more plentiful than Apple stores. Until recently, there were no Apple stores near me - and even at that, the closest one is still over 35 miles away.

For many people, this will save on shipping costs, gas money, etc. and perhaps even make it more likely that someone unfamiliar with Apple products would enter their ecosystem (who otherwise wouldn't go out of their way to visit an Apple Store).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Any snobby people here hating on Staples for having Apple gear are not business professionals and don't frequent office stores. Staples is relatively a quiet laid back place that doesn't jump in customer's faces pushing crap down their throat. I'm in the insurance world and our office frequent's Staples, Office Max and Office Depot all the time for office supplies. I would much rather drop into one of their stores to pick up some Apple gear or accessories than to sorely inconvenience myself dealing with those overcrowded internet cafes called the Apple Stores. Even worse, having to walk all the way through the clothing department, grocery area and laundry supplies at Wallyworld just to get the "tech section" to pick up an Apple mouse. :rolleyes:

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Apple sells a heck of a lot more stuff than computers and tablets.

I'll bet those discount coupons will say "not valid on Apple products".

Sort of like a Macy's coupon that excludes half the brands in the store with the fine print on the back.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
There aren't any Staples near me, but if their stores are as quiet and empty as the Office Max and Office Depot locations near me, I'd rather go there for Apple accessories than fight through the hordes of tweens whose parents are using the Apple Store as a free babysitting service while they shop at the mall. Plus the fact that the parking situation at the mall closest to me with an Apple Store is an absolute fustercluck. Especially in November and December.

Would I go to Staples to buy a new MacBook Pro? Probably not. Would I go there to buy an iPad case? Absolutely.

But if I were buying online, I wouldn't go to either Staples or Apple. That's what Amazon Prime is for.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
There aren't any Staples near me, but if their stores are as quiet and empty as the Office Max and Office Depot locations near me, I'd rather go there for Apple accessories than fight through the hordes of tweens whose parents are using the Apple Store as a free babysitting service while they shop at the mall. Plus the fact that the parking situation at the mall closest to me with an Apple Store is an absolute fustercluck. Especially in November and December.

Would I go to Staples to buy a new MacBook Pro? Probably not. Would I go there to buy an iPad case? Absolutely.

But if I were buying online, I wouldn't go to either Staples or Apple. That's what Amazon Prime is for.

But if Staples had the exact configuration of the Macbook Pro you wanted why not buy it there? It's not like Apple has highly trained knowledgeable people on the floor, because they no longer do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.