Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
If I connected my iMac G5 to a 24" monitor would the resolution be stuck at 1440x900 in the middle of the screen or would i be able to select the highest resolution of the 24" monitor?

I am aware you need the spanning hack for extended display but I am not looking to extend my display, purely just want a bigger monitor than my 17" G5.

I also know I need the mini vga to vga cable which I have found on eBay.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
So it would be better to use the 17" imac plus another monitor for extended? Would the "extended" screen still only be in 1024x768?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
So it would be better to use the 17" imac plus another monitor for extended? Would the "extended" screen still only be in 1024x768?

I've never used it myself, so I can't speak from first hand experience. However, I looked back through the dev's blog & he has this to say;

"Since I get so many emails asking if the patch also allows external resolutions higher than 1024*768 I want to clarify this: Yes, you can select much higher resolutions."

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks again for the speedy reply, I think I will give this a go then. Hopefully I can use the spanning hack to extend, and then make the extended display act as display 1 at a higher resolution?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Thanks again for the speedy reply, I think I will give this a go then. Hopefully I can use the spanning hack to extend, and then make the extended display act as display 1 at a higher resolution?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to 'natively' use the external display as the primary. However, you can get the menubar on the secondary display via Secondbar, or by rearranging displays in system preferences. And I believe as long as you have the dock on the right/left (depending on where the external monitor physically is) as oppose to the bottom, the dock will move within both monitors.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if you'll be able to 'natively' use the external display as the primary. However, you can get the menubar on the secondary display via Secondbar, or by rearranging displays in system preferences. And I believe as long as you have the dock on the right/left (depending on where the external monitor physically is) as oppose to the bottom, the dock will move within both monitors.

Thanks again! I cannot be more thankful! So with the spanning hack allowing higher resolutions + second bar app, if I put my dock onto the left or right (depending where i put my monitor) I basically have it set up exactly how I wanted. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.