Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Castilloj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Hi guys , im in haiti and while walking across a creek i fell with ipad in hand and the bottom of ipad mini was summered for a couple of seconds. I turned it off immediately turn it off. and put inside a ziploc bag of rice. after 4 days i turned it on and it booted fine except my wifi/ bluetooth switch is greyed out.
i also noticed a little screen blemish on the bottom as well.
Is there anything i can do? would apple fix it ?or would i need to find a repair shop?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hi guys , im in haiti and while walking across a creek i fell with ipad in hand and the bottom of ipad mini was summered for a couple of seconds. I turned it off immediately turn it off. and put inside a ziploc bag of rice. after 4 days i turned it on and it booted fine except my wifi/ bluetooth switch is greyed out.
Is there anything i can do? would apple fix it ?or would i need to find a repair shop?

Apple will replace it but it'll cost you!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If it was purchased with Applecare+, you're covered for up to two incidents of accidental damage.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
If you got Apple Care+ when you got the iPad, it will cost your $50 to repair/replace. If not...I don't know how much it will cost, $100-200 if I had to guess.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Apple will replace it but it'll cost you!

Yes, the full purchase price.

I don't know why people think there might be a chance that the Apple store guys will say, "Oh, sure, let's just give you another one!"

You'll have to buy it all over again if you didn't have insurance or Applecare+ on it.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL

I don't know why people think there might be a chance that the Apple store guys will say, "Oh, sure, let's just give you another one!"

You'll have to buy it all over again if you didn't have insurance or Applecare+ on it.

Uh, Apple has a standard "Swap" fee for broken screens, water damage etc. I don't know how much it is for an iPad Mini but for an iPod Touch it was $149 and for an iPad 3 my Dad broke it was $249. My guess would be $199 to $249 for a swap.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Nope, the OOW replacement price. Generally about half of RRP for iPads.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

They will NOT charge the full price. They will do a OOW (out of warranty) replacement at a lower cost.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Does your credit card offer loss/damage protection?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Not sure what the OOW is for a mini but I dropped my Verizon 64 gig iPad 3 and it cost $299 to get a new one as a replacement.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I would never cross a creek/river/swimming pool with an Apple device in my hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iWatch has water damage sensors.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I wonder why OP is forced to cross a creek with iPad in his hand?? If I knew I had to cross a creek, knowing the risk I won't do it. :apple:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

I brought my ibook g4 that had a blown motherboard to an Apple store 3 years after the warranty had expired and they did the repairmfor free. $689 dollar repair completely free. Apple is a great company.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
That is what I was referring to. Out of Warranty replacement cost. They charge that for damaged items all the time.

Our friend Luis2004 must have graduated from kindergarten in 2004.

Yep, it's surprising how many don't know about Apple's OOW repairs.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe a little negative feedback will help you grow up. Judging by this post I doubt it helped much.

So a good example of being a grown up is calling someone a recent kindergarten graduate?

I think being a grownup is perhaps not jumping to the report button every time your sensibilities are offended. As you can tell, I chose to simply comment on it instead of having a mod send you a reminder of the rules and regulations.

Sheesh.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Lol. I didn't hit the report button. I also didn't start this. I just made an educated guess based on your rude, and incorrect comment.

Anyway, fire away at me. I was basically right and I am also done communicating with you. Have a good day.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I wonder why OP is forced to cross a creek with iPad in his hand?? If I knew I had to cross a creek, knowing the risk I won't do it. :apple:

But you forget the OP only undertook this challenge while also armed with a ziploc bag of rice.

Personally I rarely go outside unless I also have a ziploc bag of rice to hand.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
But you forget the OP only undertook this challenge while also armed with a ziploc bag of rice.

Personally I rarely go outside unless I also have a ziploc bag of rice to hand.

He was camping and planned to eat it BUT went hungry to save his beloved iPad Mini. Who among you wouldn't have done the same?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Nope, the OOW replacement price. Generally about half of RRP for iPads.

Regarding the iPads
screenshot20130228at110.png

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.