Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS devices represented 77% of all mobile device activations in the enterprise market in the final quarter of 2012, with the top five slots all occupied by Apple devices, reports Good Technology's Device Activation Report.

enterprise1.png
The company monitors smartphone and tablet devices activated among its enterprise clients, which include half of the Fortune 100. Apple devices occupied eight of the top ten slots, including all of the top five. iOS activations grew 8.5% year-on-year.
This quarter's report showed a clear preference for iOS devices, which accounted for 77 percent of all activations and captured eight of the top ten spots on the most popular device list this quarter. While Android activations dropped 6.3 percent as compared to Q4 2011, they still accounted for 22.7 percent of all activations for the quarter, which were primarily driven by Android tablets. Windows Phone devices came in a distant third for the quarter, capturing just 0.5 percent of overall activations.
Apple completely dominated the tablet market with 93.2% of activations, with the Samsung Galaxy Tab taking a distant second place.

enterprise2-800x384.png

The financial services industry led enterprise device activations during the quarter, followed by business and professional services. Together, these two industries made up more than half of the activations reported in Q4.

Apple regularly emphasizes enterprise adoption of iOS in its earnings conference calls, repeatedly noting that nearly all of the Fortune 500 companies are piloting or deploying the iPhone and iPad for their users. Apple also maintains dedicated sections of its website promoting the iPhone and iPad for use in business.

Article Link: iOS Dominates Enterprise Mobility Market With 77% of Device Activations

S

syd430

This is because companies need solid, secure and reliable products. Samsung thrives on cheap marketing to teens and to those that believe that widgets make the experience revolutionary. Procurement departments are smarter than that.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
We are going to BYOD at my office and will be using the GOOD software. I guess I will add another tick on the iOS side of the chart.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
selling my AAPL stock now, before it drops under $500 ..... I am sure some analyst was expecting higher numbers and this will cause the market now to crash.

I think you're a bit late for that ... stock fell well below $500 in January. Good news is bad for Apple, while bad news is good for Amazon. The market doesn't make any sense at all to me.

cbw87

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
The most appalling thing about these charts is that Good still hasn't updated its iPhone app to be compatible with the iPhone 5. Nearly 6 months.

----------

The most appalling thing about these charts is that Good still hasn't updated its iPhone app to be compatible with the iPhone 5. Nearly 6 months.

And I'd add to that - the app totally sucks.

There's no reason they couldn't add a "you have [x] new messages" lock screen notification - surely the very fact that one has new email is not of itself sensitive information. They do it with events.

Thoroughly unimpressive, they do not deserve the traction they are seeing.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Really? Galaxy SIII is the ONLY non-iOS device that had more enterprise activations than the iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS? Why are enterprises even activating those devices...

That is because of personally owned devices being activated for use at work.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Whoa. Apple is doomed.

Apparently so. Also funny to hear that Galaxy S3 is eating into iPhone sales on Market Watch video on WSJ Live yesterday when iPhone is still blowing it out of the water and increasing year over year.

more good news, time to dump the stock!

No kidding. The market only rewards Apple for creating something new -- not for executing on something great they have already created and raking in money. What is the point of an innovation if you don't make money on it. Businesses are suppose to make money -- that is what Apple is doing.

selling my AAPL stock now, before it drops under $500 ..... I am sure some analyst was expecting higher numbers and this will cause the market now to crash.

You're too late for $500. The media/analyst agenda has already driven it below that point. Apple is poised to buy back the company right now in eight years or less at their current profit rate.

Here's a different spin on the same report from WSJ.

Report: Android Tablets Gain on iPads in Business Market

While technically true, this headline fails to paint an accurate picture of the data within the report.

That article is evidence of the media/analyst agenda here. How somebody could spin that report into something negative for Apple is beyond me, but it obviously took a whole lot of effort to come up with that headline. The headline should have been "Android still sucks in enterprise, but not as bad as before".

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I hate how they always forget that iPod touch runs iOS too

True... but why would someone in the enterprise be given something the size of a phone... but is not a phone?

I'm having a hard time seeing how the iPod Touch fits in the enterprise (except for some extremely rare instances)

Or maybe the iPod Touch is represented here... but is not in the Top Ten for this chart.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Here's a different spin on the same report from WSJ.

Report: Android Tablets Gain on iPads in Business Market

While technically true, this headline fails to paint an accurate picture of the data within the report.

What is an accurate picture of the data?

I read that article... and it said Android tablets rose in the enterprise from 2.7% in the first quarter to 6.8% by the fourth quarter 2012.

And some of the tablets on their list are the Motorola Xoom, Xyboard and the Kindle Fire. Some winners there, huh.

Both headlines are true:

Wall Street Journal says "Android Tablets Gain on iPads in Business Market" (to 6.8% of tablets)

And MacRumors says "iOS Dominates Enterprise Mobility Market With 77% of Device Activations" (with 93.2% of tablets)

I'm not sure why you're splitting hairs... the iPad news is more exciting than the Android tablet news :)

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
This actually means less than it seems. Good Technology is just an email connector. Device are "activated" once the Good app is configured on the device, which in many cases are personal devices. How about some numbers on how many businesses are using Blackberry versus Good. That would show the real impact of Android and iOS devices in the enterprise.

honus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
The headline is a bit misleading. This is only devices activated with Good. That is hardly an indication of the "Enterprise Mobility Market."

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When I consulted at Microsoft, I noticed a lot of employees used iPads (even though it was pretty much frowned upon).

I think half the reason is due to the lack of many apps with Microsoft tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.