Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I just can´t seem to figure this out. All I can think is putting something physically in front of the display, which is just stupid!

Even my MBA and rMBP can do this by dimming the backlight all the way down or just closing the lid and putting them to sleep, the movie will still keep rolling on the HD TV.

Did Apple folk´s super brains miss this feature or are they leaving this out intentionally just to annoy us?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
In system preference, energy saving, you can specify that the display goes to sleep after 1 minute but the computer does not go to sleep ever.
This way your screen will be black after a min of not use and which ever you are streeming to the HD TV should keep running..

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Use hot corners:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,056

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Turn the brightness down.

Like I said in my original post, that doesn´t work either. It works with MBA and MBP, but not with iMacs. The brightness won´t go all the way down, not even close. In fact I keep the brightness all the time with my 24" iMac already around 5-10%.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Trying using the Shift + Control + Eject trick, this turns off the iMac screen. Not sure of its behaviour when coupled with another monitor though but it's worth a try.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
the only way to do it is by dimming the iMac screen, I researched this extensively for a while. There is software that enables you to completely dim it (just remember the shortcut to exit the mode before you do it though) but the backlights will still be on.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Trying using the Shift + Control + Eject trick, this turns off the iMac screen. Not sure of its behaviour when coupled with another monitor though but it's worth a try.

Would be perfect, but it turns the HDTV off as well. :(

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Would be perfect, but it turns the HDTV off as well. :(

Sorry to hear that :( keep trying, I'm sure there is an app or mod out there for osx that allows this, let us know if you do find anything though as I am interested in this myself :)

snkeyez95

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I too investigated this. Not possible at the moment. Someone mentioned possibly a terminal tweak, but I found no solution.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I too investigated this. Not possible at the moment. Someone mentioned possibly a terminal tweak, but I found no solution.

This is so sad. How can Apple miss such a simple feature? :(

I guess I´ll be throwing a shirt or towel on top of the iMac every time when I´m watching a movie and risk it overheating. :(

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Could Apple give us this feature with an update possibly? It´s a bit ridiculous that I can´t do simple thing like this.

I´m sure they don´t want us either hanging our t-shirts, towels or whatever on top of our iMacs? Or maybe they do, so the iMacs will break sooner and we have to buy newer ones?

brockmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
Brazil
ApplesAOranges,

Don't know if you still need this, but I found an app that does exactly what you want: http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

I am using it to watch movies from imac to apppletv. It doesn't turn off the lights, but increases the color you choose to tint the screen. So, if you choose black, it will tint the screen monitor with black, still, using light to do it. Not perfect, but, better than nothing. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.