Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I agree with you 100% until I used a note 2. I think that is a device that really changes the way you use your phone. Obviously a stylus has a lot to do with this, but the major reason is the size. I really do not need to power on my laptop to do extensive internet browsing, and I get the same battery life as my macbook air haha (screen time)

Ok - so for you, that changed things. I don't want a phone that big. I've picked them up and used them numerous times - every now and again I'll get the idea a Note would be cool - then I pick it up in a store and think I'd never want to take this around with me all the time....

For me, my phones work well for everything I do. I'd argue your preferences didn't change much - you wanted to be able to browse extensively - you just hadn't found the phone that did that really well until the Note. I have my laptop bag with me every day going to and from work so carrying my iPad mini isn't an issue and it's much better for browsing for me than my phones or a note would be. Otherwise, I have my phones and they are plenty serviceable.

I still say screen size is a preference and not an advancement - bigger does not mean better in every case. But I recognize that for some (like yourself), the bigger screen allows you to unlock the uses you want in a smartphone. Which is why I hope Apple DOES add both the 5" iPhone and the cheaper iPhone. More choices will only serve to increase their marketshare.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Left my iPhone 5 tonight without charging it, since it already was on 100%, dropped to 98% in 10 hours so no matter here. ;)

If that's the case then there's a problem with two of the iPhone 5s I had (one had a defective power button which apple replaced) and other friends' iphone5s who have the same battery drain issue as I do.

I will take some screen shots to give you a more accurate and better idea of the overnight drain.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If that's the case then there's a problem with two of the iPhone 5s I had (one had a defective power button which apple replaced) and other friends' iphone5s who have the same battery drain issue as I do.

I will take some screen shots to give you a more accurate and better idea of the overnight drain.

Must be. My iPhone 5 will drop about the same 2% as the other posters if left uncharged overnight......

Generally speaking I can get about 1-2 days of standby and 5-6 hours of usage time. Usage includes browsing, emailing, messaging and some gaming and youtubing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ok - so for you, that changed things. I don't want a phone that big. I've picked them up and used them numerous times - every now and again I'll get the idea a Note would be cool - then I pick it up in a store and think I'd never want to take this around with me all the time....

For me, my phones work well for everything I do. I'd argue your preferences didn't change much - you wanted to be able to browse extensively - you just hadn't found the phone that did that really well until the Note. I have my laptop bag with me every day going to and from work so carrying my iPad mini isn't an issue and it's much better for browsing for me than my phones or a note would be. Otherwise, I have my phones and they are plenty serviceable.

I still say screen size is a preference and not an advancement - bigger does not mean better in every case. But I recognize that for some (like yourself), the bigger screen allows you to unlock the uses you want in a smartphone. Which is why I hope Apple DOES add both the 5" iPhone and the cheaper iPhone. More choices will only serve to increase their marketshare.

very true. I guess I was always using an iphone, so never realized how much I like being able to browse on a phone. Really anything 4.5"+ is good for browsing....hopefully all of the 2013 phones have stellar battery life.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
very true. I guess I was always using an iphone, so never realized how much I like being able to browse on a phone. Really anything 4.5"+ is good for browsing....hopefully all of the 2013 phones have stellar battery life.

Ya - that's my point. For me, the added screen size of the Nexus 4 hasn't changed my desire to browse on my phone at all.....I still do so at the same tick I always did and whenever possible, use my iPad mini.

The whole consolidation of devices (i.e. phone+computer = smartphone) has been great - but not everyone wants to continue that consolidation everywhere.

For those who want it - the phablet category has been extremely popular. But I'd argue those people were always looking for that type of device - they just didn't know what it looked like until the Note came along.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Must be. My iPhone 5 will drop about the same 2% as the other posters if left uncharged overnight......

Generally speaking I can get about 1-2 days of standby and 5-6 hours of usage time. Usage includes browsing, emailing, messaging and some gaming and youtubing.

Do you have icloud backup running overnight? That might be it. Just thought about that

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This response confuses me, "My iPhone does everything I need it too"....

I have a hard time believing that. For example a few months ago I refinanced my house. I was getting multiple PDF files from my insurance company and HOA that I needed to promptly email to my finance company. Sounds like a trivial task, but its impossible in iOS to do this in a single email. Unless your using your email to send goofy pictures or something its almost toyish, and extremely frustrating. I just had to send 12 separate emails at the same time and look like a moron.

I think its more along the lines of "My iPhone does everything I need it too and if not I don't mind being inconvenienced."

I think it just depends on how much you could benefit from an all in one device. I'm rarely home, rarely near a computer and using an iPhone can be a chore sometimes.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That may be true but just try going back to something that small NOW. ;)

As for me the Note 2 hit a sweet spot and I love it. The screen is just large enough that I am not reaching for my iPad like I used to with my iPhone (and even my Nexus 4).

I am thinking of selling my iPad 3 and getting a Nexus 8 when it comes out. I used to think I preferred iOS on a tablet but I would be just fine if the Nexus 8 is a blown-up Note 2 with enhancements. (When I use my iPad now it is annoying to not have a back button, nor be able to share to Evernote from any app I want.)

Michael

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I really want to sell my ip5 and buy the experia Z but why oh why doesn't android have all of the apps that iOS has?
Until android can match the iOS App Store for quality and consistency I can never see myself jumping ship.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I really want to sell my ip5 and buy the experia Z but why oh why doesn't android have all of the apps that iOS has?
Until android can match the iOS App Store for quality and consistency I can never see myself jumping ship.

What apps have you got on your iPhone that you cant replicate from the Play Store? You may find that it is closer than you think. I find that the main one's I used on my iPhone are also in the Play Store. :)

Have a look. https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=m8

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
the white iPhone 5 is sexy as hell and does everything I need in a "smart"phone. can't really say that for any other plastic phone out there.
The reason plastic phones don't perform to your standards are the vapors that escape from the plastic at 55 degrees F, and up. These vapors cause mass corruption of the OS, rendering the phone useless. :eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What apps have you got on your iPhone that you cant replicate from the Play Store? You may find that it is closer than you think. I find that the main one's I used on my iPhone are also in the Play Store. :)

Have a look. https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=m8

Just dove into the Android version of the Weather Channel app - which I use on both platforms for more in-depth weather versus my widgets....

Gotta say I absolutely HATE the Android version.....no idea what possessed them to change the UI and look but it is horrific....almost unusable in my opinion.

It's times like this that make me question the Google Play store - while there are now as many apps on Play as there are on the App Store, the quality (whether intentional or not) is just not quite there with some apps - even some mainstream apps (not to mention the tablet mess - but I know you love your mini :D).

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Just dove into the Android version of the Weather Channel app - which I use on both platforms for more in-depth weather versus my widgets....

Gotta say I absolutely HATE the Android version.....no idea what possessed them to change the UI and look but it is horrific....almost unusable in my opinion.

It's times like this that make me question the Google Play store - while there are now as many apps on Play as there are on the App Store, the quality (whether intentional or not) is just not quite there with some apps - even some mainstream apps (not to mention the tablet mess - but I know you love your mini :D).

I must admit that not being a gamer probably shields me from some of the bad one's out there, the main one's I find are up to muster. You are right, I do love my iPad Mini, I think it is absolutely superb and would recommend it to anyone.

Dont know if you have tried this weather app, its called 1Weather, I think it's really good. It has a home screen quick look and more in depth when one taps on the icon, it's top right on my screen. :)

Screenshot_2013-02-26-21-42-03_zpsf5280f5e.png

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That may be true but just try going back to something that small NOW. ;)

As for me the Note 2 hit a sweet spot and I love it. The screen is just large enough that I am not reaching for my iPad like I used to with my iPhone (and even my Nexus 4).

I am thinking of selling my iPad 3 and getting a Nexus 8 when it comes out. I used to think I preferred iOS on a tablet but I would be just fine if the Nexus 8 is a blown-up Note 2 with enhancements. (When I use my iPad now it is annoying to not have a back button, nor be able to share to Evernote from any app I want.)

Michael

It is definitely hard to go back to smaller screen once you have had 5.5, but my god is stock android on the nexus smooth. I always think the note is smooth until I try out the n4 again.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
It is definitely hard to go back to smaller screen once you have had 5.5, but my god is stock android on the nexus smooth. I always think the note is smooth until I try out the n4 again.

Wait till you go from note 2 or s3 to iphone 5. Will feel like night and day cause I feel android OS is hella choppy

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah -- Just say no to the Weather Channel.

I'm not sure how detailed you like your weather data, but speaking as someone who spent most of the 90's as a hardcore obsessive windsurfer, and is subsequently left with a lifelong abnormal interest in weather forecasts ... here's a few I'd recommend you check out:

1. Intellicast Weather. Looks like it just became available on Android. Doesn't have the too cool for words animated surface wind animation that the iOS version has, but it still looks pretty good. (I just installed it)

2. Weather Underground. A classic! (Again, I just installed it on Android)

3. Radar Scope. You live in Texas - this app could save your life... (I already paid for it in iOS, and really don't need to spend another $10 to install it on my N4.)

4. Weather4D. The one app to rule them all ... sadly not available on Android.

... and I'll throw in an Android gripe here. Why on earth does any weather app think it has the right to know who I'm talking to on the phone ... and why on earth doesn't Android allow you to just block that permission without having to throw away an otherwise valuable app?

----------

I had an iPhone 5. I would say the nexus is the same zippyness

I think he was referring to "smoothness", which is different.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think he was referring to "smoothness", which is different.

I think this "smoothness" is way way over-rated. Speed is more important. Don't tell me Apple fans always have their eyes glue to the screen mesmerizing the "smooth" (but slow) transition when they scroll?

What is the point of smoothness when speed is slow. In terms of speed (esp. scrolling - not just browser but other UI as well) iOS is VERY SLOW. iphone is a fail for productivity compared to equivalent android. See the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I think this "smoothness" is way way over-rated. Speed is more important. Don't tell me Apple fans always have their eyes glue to the screen mesmerizing the "smooth" (but slow) transition when they scroll?

What is the point of smoothness when speed is slow. In terms of speed (esp. scrolling - not just browser but other UI as well) iOS is VERY SLOW. iphone is a fail for productivity compared to equivalent android. See the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

Nothing about the iphone is slow. Both phones in terms of speed are comparable. But smoothness is a different story.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.