Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
You're right. I was just busting on the OP.

But come on people - This app lets you disable functions that make an iPhone a phone, all in the name of saving battery life. If that's what you want, buy an iTouch.

I agree, but why have cell data on when you're on wifi? It does save some battery. Don't go knocking people when they have a chance to save a bit on their battery. Im guessing a lot of people here are moderate to heavy users, so battery life is a concern. I actually uninstalled it and went back to sbprofiles. My problem was if you turned data off and then back on, it would turn me to 4G. I had to manually put LTE back on. Sbprofiles might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but it works better.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I agree, but why have cell data on when you're on wifi? It does save some battery. Don't go knocking people when they have a chance to save a bit on their battery. Im guessing a lot of people here are moderate to heavy users, so battery life is a concern. I actually uninstalled it and went back to sbprofiles. My problem was if you turned data off and then back on, it would turn me to 4G. I had to manually put LTE back on. Sbprofiles might not be as aesthetically pleasing, but it works better.

If battery life was that critical to me, on a daily basis, I'd use my Mophie Helium every day versus trying to micro-manage iPhone features. To each his own. :)

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
If battery life was that critical to me, on a daily basis, I'd use my Mophie Helium every day versus trying to micro-manage iPhone features. To each his own. :)

Well, the whole point is to make that micromanaging easy, but yes, to each his own.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Open the app.
Swipe right (so the left side panel opens).
Press Settings (bottom left).
Press Display Settings of NC
Switch off Enable Modes

See the screenshot.

Again, people with cell signal issues. Just cycle your LTE button and don't use the 3G button in this tweak/app. I've removed if from displaying in NC.

Pardon my ignorance but I don't understand what this does. What happens when you switch off Enable Modes?

What does switching from outdoor to indoor do?
Thnx.

----------

I downloaded this and then promptly removed SB settings as this app had everything that SB settings and more. Only thing it lacks is a volume toggle that allows you to turn up the volume from the notification center not just mute or unmute. Still very nice to see multitasking on lock screen.

Now a question about the battery information. It says battery capacity is 1424 mAh which is the factory capacity. However my iphone 5 max capactiy on the screen higher up is 1278mAh. I find it hard to believe in 4 months I have lost 10% max capacity already. Is anyone else seeing better capacity numbers? Should I take this to Apple and swap it out? Or is this app not displaying correct capacity on anyone?

Thx.

Where do you see Battery Capacity? Can't find it anywhere. Thnx.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but I don't understand what this does. What happens when you switch off Enable Modes?

What does switching from outdoor to indoor do?
Thnx.
When you switch off the modes they do not appear in the Notification Center. You can still tap the status bar if you'd like to switch modes.

Modes (relating to this tweak/app) are basically profiles. You tell the app what you want happening when you are "Indoors" and what you want happening when you are "Outdoors," etc. When you switch from one mode to another the app makes setting changes based on what you've set up in the mode.

For instance, if you want WiFi to be active "Indoors" but not active "Outdoors" then you would make the correct setting inside the app for those modes. When you go "Outdoors" and you switch the mode to that the app would then shut off WiFi. When you switch back to "Indoors" the app would turn WiFi back on. Make sense?

The main problem with this app right now is the cellular signal. Switching modes causes it to turn off 3G cell signal (even though you may have it to be set on). Toggling the LTE switch in Settings>General>Cellular turns the 3G signal back on.

I disabled the Modes in my NC because it was not necessary for me to have them in there if I was not going to use the modes because of this 3G switch issue.

----------

Where do you see Battery Capacity? Can't find it anywhere. Thnx.
Open the app and swipe right so the left side panel appears. Tap the System icon and it will show you the battery details. Swipe up to get more specific system info.

JUSTQUAN

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
After toying with this app I found it useful in collecting data and the quick touch toggles. I found myself losing my LTE so I left the profiles alone. I figured whomever created the app is not in an LTE area so it keeps forcing 4G. So I left the profiles be. I use the other toggle when I have to. Its a usable app for battery worrying people such as myself. So totally disable anything that toggles your data and you should be fine. Good app(when tweaked)!

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
This app has been awesome for me. First time I can make it through an entire day on one charge (heavy user)

You need to dig around on the app as there are a ton of features. I really like the charging screen, especially the note about ETA on when the phone should be fully charged. Neat.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Any way to actually show what the battery percentage is within this app. When I activate it, it shows mode your in and sbsetting style icons along with memory usage. Do you actually have to go into settings to see the exact battery percentage?

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Developer emailed me saying they have a new version they are testing for 4G LTE and not 3G among other fixes. He's supposed to be sending it to me. I'll let you know.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Any way to actually show what the battery percentage is within this app. When I activate it, it shows mode your in and sbsetting style icons along with memory usage. Do you actually have to go into settings to see the exact battery percentage?
You actually have to open the app.

Half of this is an app. The rest is in the NC and when you tap on the status bar.

Open the app.
Swipe right so that the left side panel appears.
Press Recharge. It will show you the current bat% and charging info. If your phone is charging you'll see a liquid animation that will slosh around based on the orientation of your phone. It fills up as it charges. Pretty cool.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
In the settings for modes, just disable this tweak's brightness setting. That will default to the system setting.

Just installed this and I like it. Removed NC settings and another tweak. Love the fact that you can tap the status bar and get this tweak immediately. It's also cool that it serves as an app switcher.

For those having difficulties with cell signal, here's a tip. I noticed that using the 3G setting in the tweak shuts off 3G completely (even when the tweak says it's on). If you go into Settings>General>Cellular and toggle the LTE switch off, signal will come back. Toggle LTE back on and the cell signal will stay. Doing that however, shuts the 3G indicator off in this tweak. I've disabled the modes altogether because of this. Don't want to press "Outside" and have my 3G shut off. Not sure, but that to me indicates that this tweak doesn't recognize LTE.

Other than that, really cool tweak.

I tried setting brightness on app to 0 but thats where the brightness will be set to everytime you change modes. How do you have yours set?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I tried setting brightness on app to 0 but thats where the brightness will be set to everytime you change modes. How do you have yours set?
I stopped using the modes altogether. I've just left it on Indoors with a brightness of 30% and then went back into Settings>Brightness & Wallpaper and adjusted my setting there. I then toggled Auto Brightness. Doing that overrides the mode settings. You can also put the Brightness control in the NC and use it there to control brightness independent of the modes.

It's got a few other things going for it so I'm ok with ignoring the modes and using the standard settings at the moment.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Now a question about the battery information. It says battery capacity is 1424 mAh which is the factory capacity. However my iphone 5 max capactiy on the screen higher up is 1278mAh. I find it hard to believe in 4 months I have lost 10% max capacity already. Is anyone else seeing better capacity numbers? Should I take this to Apple and swap it out? Or is this app not displaying correct capacity on anyone?

Yeah, the battery capacity is oddly low on the iPhone 5. I'm currently at 1276mAh. But it fluctuates so much also. Ranged from 1250-1310 for me. But I do already have 120 charge cycles on my iPhone 5. But on my iPhone 4, max capacity is still at 1400mAh after 688 charge cycles. Anyone with a relatively new iPhone 5 (less than 10 charge cycles) can you report your max capacity?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Well, I have 14 cycles on a brand new, straight from Apple iPhone 5 on 6.1--just did two calibration cycles back to back. (Down to 1%, up to 100%) Max capacity in both BatteryDetective & BatteryDoctor Pro is 1386. This is up slightly from getting the phone on the 17th, when the maximum was 1360.

By comparison, my "two weeks after release" iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 has 539 cycles and is showing at 1296 capacity after its most recent calibration. The first several months of life for that battery, it actually showed higher than the max capacity, and that was a pretty common experience. So I'm not too impressed with the one on the 5 yet. Hopefully it goes up a bit more over the next few weeks.

I'm a pretty heavy daily user and typically charge nightly, plus the phone is plugged in while in the car. Both phones are almost fully themed and running a total of over 100 packages with all the add ons Cydia tweaks require.

No real issues on either battery as both last most of a day's usage, though my perception so far is that even now the 4's battery lasts longer than the 5 does. I never had to turn anything major off on the 4 (data, location services, etc.), but I find myself having to do so on the 5 to get the same kind of performance. I'm in a fairly strong LTE area (better than our 3G), but even so, that definitely sucks down power. I'm looking forward to them getting the toggles right on this app so I can flip from home to away a bit more easily.

NYSF37

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Open the app.
Swipe right (so the left side panel opens).
Press Settings (bottom left).
Press Display Settings of NC
Switch off Enable Modes

See the screenshot.

Again, people with cell signal issues. Just cycle your LTE button and don't use the 3G button in this tweak/app. I've removed if from displaying in NC.

Ohhh, I see. You disabled displaying modes in the notification center. I was under the impression you disabled modes altogether. I wish there was a way to do that, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the clarification.

I do wish there was a way to disable a certain setting in the modes, like brightness, as you mentioned earlier. It'd be convenient to be able to go outside and have wifi automatically go off, but because of the automatic brightness adjustment with modes enabled, can't have your cake and eat it too (yet, fingers crossed for an update!), I suppose...

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ohhh, I see. You disabled displaying modes in the notification center. I was under the impression you disabled modes altogether. I wish there was a way to do that, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the clarification.

I do wish there was a way to disable a certain setting in the modes, like brightness, as you mentioned earlier. It'd be convenient to be able to go outside and have wifi automatically go off, but because of the automatic brightness adjustment with modes enabled, can't have your cake and eat it too (yet, fingers crossed for an update!), I suppose...
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear. There's no way to disable the modes period, just the ability to prevent them from being in the NC. Like you I am hoping for a fix soon.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Just saw it updated with 4G/LTE support. It also can kill LTE to 3G when locked. I'm testing it now. The LTE issue is fixed.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Aside from the fact that those of us with a 3G connection can no longer see the 3G toggle, it's in the list as an optional toggle, but when set it doesn't show.

One thing I'd like to see is an extension of modes i.e user modes. Set how you want it for certain situations, like in the car, give it a custom name. I'd also like to rename the default modes. Just food for thought.

Neil.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Aside from the fact that those of us with a 3G connection can no longer see the 3G toggle, it's in the list as an optional toggle, but when set it doesn't show.

One thing I'd like to see is an extension of modes i.e user modes. Set how you want it for certain situations, like in the car, give it a custom name. I'd also like to rename the default modes. Just food for thought.

Neil.

I'd definitely like more ability to set custom modes as well...and I wouldn't mind having both the 3G toggle + the LTE one. I prefer to have data on even when on wifi, for MMS, but leaving 4G on seems like kinda overkill for just that.

Is anyone else having issues with the trick mentioned earlier to use auto-brightness with the indoor or outdoor settings? It worked fine before, but since this update, it doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm back to constantly having to manually adjust brightness to suit the room I'm in.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As much as I liked this tweak I found something more suitable for me so uninstalled it. I'm using Smart 3G+LTE now. Works just fine, no messing with modes and it shuts off cellular when on WiFi (with the option to leave Edge on to get calls/SMS/MMS). It's got an exception list, so if I'm streaming music off 3G when I leave WiFi and lock my phone it keeps 3G active and my music continues to play.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I've turned off everything to do with NC.

I just double tap the time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 73

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I used the to 3G on lock, but I don't think it is working properly. I'm on ATT so 4G (HSPA+) is basically their 3G. On LTE is goes to 4G, but on 4G is doesn't show anything. I tried to iMessage myself, and it worked, but I'm not 100% sure it is working. I'll unlock the phone and it will say no Internet access for 4 or 5 seconds until 4G shows back again. I don't know if it switched to Edge and didn't show the symbol for it and the problem was it switching radios. I don't know if it was just not accessing data at all either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.