Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hello all,

New mac user here. I noticed there was a file in my website FTP directory called "mach_kernel" but it doesn't make sense. Somehow the kernel system file got stuck in one of my backups. I have no way of telling if it was accidentally left there by the original developer or by myself.

Question 1) I checked and mach_kernel is a system file and unrelated to a website's directory. Can anyone verify?

Question 2) how can I verify my own mach_kernel is running okay? This might be a duplicate but I don't want to delete it yet. I have had no kernel panics, errors, or anything.

Thanks!

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
It's hosted on GoDaddy. I checked and it's hosted on Linux. Would that have anything to do with it?

I am using a personal Mac by myself, but not hosting anything on my side.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
yikes...i have no idea how I got the system folder on the desktop in the first place.

Since I'm not having any issues running OS X do I need to check anything?

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
It didn't actually get on my desktop but it just seems that way. The file is definitely not a symlink and weighs 8.0 MB.

GDKen

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
@wakinghour

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

The "mach_kernel" file would have come from your computer and is not part of the hosting account.

If you have any additional questions regarding your hosting I'm more than happy to assist. Please feel free to reply or to send me a private message.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
thanks guys. GDKen - good to know it's not part of GoDaddy. I will let you know if I have any questions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.