Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Does the silicone get loose after a while? Or from removing the case? I have removed it a couple times to clean dust out and try and fix the rainbow effect. Will that stretch it out?

LAWandHOARDER

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I had the defender case for my 4s. I never took the case apart, but the silicone got super stretched out just from going in and out of my pocket. After 6 months I ditched it.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Well luckily the iPhone 5 case has a reinforced material that is stiffer and more durable and also smooth so it doesn't get stuck to your pockets when it goes in or out.

I'm hoping someone that has the iPhone 5 case can tell me if the new material will stand up or if I should get a life proof. I prefer to stick with the defender though.

tubalores

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Defender Love

I have had my Defender for about 3 months, and it has not stretched yet. Like previously stated, the Defender is made with new materials that are much more durable than previous versions. Also...I change up my cases...not a TON, but it's definitely been on and off my phone numerous times with no issues. It still fits snugly, I am pleased to report :)

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I had more issues with my otterbox that had the "new" rubber on it then I did with the one with the "old" material as far as stretching goes. The new material was easier to get in and out of a pocket but eventually the bottom door cover broke off.

As far as the rainbow effect goes, google the baby powder trick. Works great. NOT talc...cornstarch. I have done it on every iPhone I have owned.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I have had my Defender for about 3 months, and it has not stretched yet. Like previously stated, the Defender is made with new materials that are much more durable than previous versions. Also...I change up my cases...not a TON, but it's definitely been on and off my phone numerous times with no issues. It still fits snugly, I am pleased to report :)

Do you keep your phone in your pocket or use the holster? And numerous time being more than 10? I've removed and installed it 3 times. But while it was off I reassembled it so I suppose you could say 6 times.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If it does stretch out, call Otterbox. They have excellent customer service. I had my iPhone 4 defender case replaced 3 times over the course of a year. In fact, the reps insisted that if it stretched out, I should call back, so I did, and they'd overnight a new case to me (just the silicone part).

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If it does stretch out, call Otterbox. They have excellent customer service. I had my iPhone 4 defender case replaced 3 times over the course of a year. In fact, the reps insisted that if it stretched out, I should call back, so I did, and they'd overnight a new case to me (just the silicone part).

That's comforting. I hope it doesn't happen. I'm afraid that since I don't like using the holster and keep the phone in my pocket that it will stretch out faster.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Hey, I had the same problem with my iPhone 4, threw the Otterbox out a few months of usage. I have since found a great case for my iPhone 5 ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...22.p?id=1218734720902&skuid=6424122&sellerId= ) which, coupled with a screen protector, makes the device secure and clean. A cool–yet probably unintended feature–is that when you activate flash notifications, the whole case shines ;)

If the whole case shines you are probably going to have issues when you take flash pictures..

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Hey, I had the same problem with my iPhone 4, threw the Otterbox out a few months of usage. I have since found a great case for my iPhone 5 ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...22.p?id=1218734720902&skuid=6424122&sellerId= ) which, coupled with a screen protector, makes the device secure and clean. A cool–yet probably unintended feature–is that when you activate flash notifications, the whole case shines ;)

That's not even close to the protection an otterbox offers.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

Fortunately, most people have enough common sense to realize that the defender case is massively overbuilt for 95 - 99% of all iphone users.

If you are so paranoid or clumsy that you "require" an otterbox defender case, then damage to a phone is the least of your problems.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Does the silicone get loose after a while? Or from removing the case? I have removed it a couple times to clean dust out and try and fix the rainbow effect. Will that stretch it out?

I don't like the defender, it looks heavy and big for me, i prefer these light and cute ones.:D

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

How many threads are you going to create about this topic?

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
If the whole case shines you are probably going to have issues when you take flash pictures..

Just tried it–in the dark to make sure–and nope the photos still look normal, no flash is seen. :)

----------

Yes, it isn't, but it will definitely resist a fall or whatever. I got mine on day 1 when the iPhone came out. It has since been involved in two rough falls, one from my pocket and on the sidewalk. The screen is flawless and there are no dents whatsoever. The case isn't hard plastic, it's soft so won't break. Why do you need a case as massive as the Otterbox, doesn't it ruin the whole sleek and thin design of the phone? And I'm not bashing here, just being curious.

Last edited:

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
If you are so paranoid or clumsy that you "require" an otterbox defender case, then damage to a phone is the least of your problems.

Really? So you think that there is no other reason to need or want the protection except that a person is paranoid or clumsy?

So people, I guess not you, are in environments where they actually work for a living.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Really? So you think that there is no other reason to need or want the protection except that a person is paranoid or clumsy?

So people, I guess not you, are in environments where they actually work for a living.

Brilliant analogy. If you work, you must have an otterbox. Logic sucks.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Why do you need a case as massive as the Otterbox, doesn't it ruin the whole sleek and thin design of the phone? And I'm not bashing here, just being curious.

Sleek and thin doesn't mean much to me. Phones are thin enough. I need to be able to grip the phone and not have it slip and fall. I need to be able to sit in on a surface and not have it slide off. I need it to be water resistant enough to protect from water spray and the occasional chemical spray. An otterbox style case also adds a great deal of stiffness to the phone, reducing bending from impact.

And then my last reason is that nothing gets touched by my fingers. No wear, no damage to the home or power button from chemicals, so it's perfect for resale. And that's important to me since I sell for new launches.

I also have a lifeproof and love it, but for different uses. It isn't as grippy as the otter and the headphone thing is a pain in the ass so it doesn't work for me day to day at work but works good for play time where it has a chance of ending up in the mud, water, rain, snow...etc.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Can we get back to the original topic? The silicone outer she stretching. I've taken the case off the phone a handful of times and it hasn't stretched out yet but want to know if it will eventually stretch. Especially if I keep it in my pocket not the holster.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Holy f--- batman, if I start a new thread every day about otterbox's silicone, will it stretch out the forum?

Jets1230

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
I do hard labor work so I use the defender on my iPhone! Hasn't stretch yet and I take mine out once a week to clean the phone from the case! My co worker case has stretched on his but he hard on phones anyway

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

Really? I had my iPhone 3GS in a OtterBox Defender for 2 1/2 years and never had to have it replaced & I took it out of the case about every other week to give it a good cleaning inside and out.

The only problem that I had with the case in the entire 2 1/2 years of every day use was the fact that the Headphone flap eventually tore off about a year into use.

Like I had said in one of the other OTTERBOX threads, I have been watching these case since the iPhone 4 was released and the build quality has gone completely down hill since their Defender Case for the 3GS.

Really sad, I won't even entertain the idea of buying a Defender case anymore as it looks like inferior design with sub par materials compared to the legendary OtterBox Defender 3GS case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.