Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

:)

You believe everyone is equal, but you believe that two people of the same gender shouldn't be allowed to get married? Where's the equality in that?

You're just contradicting yourself.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
As long as Apple doesn't shove it in my face I'll keep using their products. But if they do I'll have no problem dumping them like I've done with Amazon and JCPenney. I'd love to do it with Google and Microsoft but its damn near impossible. :(

So not only are you a sad individual who hates certain peoples, your claimed morality is weak compared to your avarice. Congrats!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Well said... and no one would choose to be gay. Unless they enjoy fearing losing everyone they love, being bashed, called names, afraid, suffer self esteem issues, etc. most of their lives until they finally don't giv ea **** what other people think in adulthood.

How is the post you quoted well said given what you stated in your follow-up? If gay people are conditioned to be strait and would chose it over being gay, what is stopping them? Your post reads more like a counter to what the guy you quoted said.

In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

:)

Yay, same (kinda). I'd only vote no because the gay rights organizations try to force me and others to vote yes.

Lots of undercover bigots in this thread. You guys don't care if your fellow citizens don't have equal rights under the law. You say nope or I'm indifferent because they keep asking to be treated equally. That is so un-American. Do you people hear yourselves?

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
While I don't think someone should be discriminated against because they are gay, I abhor the "Born that way" argument. Not saying that people aren't born gay, but genetics is not a free pass for behavior. Many criminals have genetic propensities for violence, but we don't condone that. So, please, please use a better argument than "I'm genetically predisposed so it's OK."

We don't condone killers and pedos because they hurt people. How does someone being born gay affect you? Please explain. People can be born left-handed. Should we discriminate against them because we don't want to make left-handed scissors?

----------

Seems to me one of the purposes of marriage is to foster procreation, and last time I checked its impossible for a man to impregnate another man or a woman another woman. If society doesn't procreate what happens to it?

So screw all the married people who can't have kids or don't want to!!!!! Make them get a divorce!!!

Ever heard of artificial insemination, surrogacy or adoption? Marriage is for forming permanent, stable family units. Something heteros have done a miserable job at, btw.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I wouldn't care if it wasn't Apple with its classic rainbow Apple logo:

I'm sick and tired of people assuming that I'm gay or some kind of activist if I ever use a rainbow anywhere. The old Apple logo just looks nice and shows Mac props. There needs to be some movement to fragment the rainbow symbol to remove its meaning as a social statement. It's like how people think I'm an environmentalist because my favorite color is green. No, I just like green, geez!!!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Yes, but all behavior has a genetic element, so I could justify anything I do by saying I was born that way. Again, I'm not criticizing being gay, I just think you can come up with better justifications than that.

I'm genetically predisposed to want to have sex with lots of women, but I don't because my wife doesn't understand. And I'm sure she won't accept the I was born this way argument.

So if someone makes a judgement that people born with dark skin are inferior to people with light skin and they should have fewer rights, that would be a-ok with you?

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place - the entire thing is a religious concept and so having the government say it is or isn't allowed is like having the government approve and disapprove of specific religions (which is explicitly non-constitutional.)

Not true. Marriage has been about property, money, land, family alliances, politics and many other things, including religion. It's way more than just about religion. Non-religious people get married all the time. If it is just religious, why are my taxes affected?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
First. I don't live in the US. Secondly they are not my rule they are God's rules. An eternally big difference.

No. They are your god's rules. That's actually the big difference. You should not have the power to force your beliefs onto anyone else.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
My prediction is that the Supreme Court in a narrow 5-4 decision will affirm Prop 8 on the basis that Marriage is a state issue not a federal one. Individual states will be left to determine what constitutes marriage.

There's two cases... Prop 8, and Section 3 of DOMA. DOMA most certainly is a Federal issue, as it's a Federal Law.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
So if someone makes a judgement that people born with dark skin are inferior to people with light skin and they should have fewer rights, that would be a-ok with you?

His thoughts have a genetic component to them and thats why racism and other forms of discrimination are acceptable because its natural. Eeek!!!

On another topic,

If being strait is genetic, why would being gay be any different? Ohh wait people were taught to be strait so it might not be natural...as others were trying to state earlier....the logic doesn't hold up because no one is taught to be gay.

Last edited:

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It has absolutely nothing to do with "workplace morale" and everything to do with the rights we have as Americans.

Thanks for your support, and I agree it has to do with basic rights as Americans. But it does also have to do with workplace morale, though that's minor in comparison. For example, I wouldn't even consider working for a company that didn't offer equal benefits, and equal treatment.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
My "misguided" belief rests in God's infallible perfect Word the Bible. From cover to cover the Bible is the Word of God. Not just Jesus words but the Bible as a whole. God is not "harming" His creation by condoning only heterosexual monogamous marriage. God (and there's only one) created the universe and therefore has full sovereign authority to tell us how it is to function.

Also two scripture references here explicitly state that homosexuality is sin.:
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=homosexuality&qs_version=ESV

Also here is a website page with many articles filled with scripture stating God's case against homosexuality. I know no one will be mature enough to read any of them but I thought I'd post it for fun.
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Homosexuality/

Ok so I only check about a dozen of the translations but only 3 of those contained the two passages of the linked version. one extra only contained one.

Not sure how you decide which is the infallible prefect word of god.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Companies lobby for their own self-interest all the time. It's nice to see some lobbying for the freedom & happiness of the people for a change.

Wow. Some of you people have some real issues.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
No. They are your god's rules. That's actually the big difference. You should not have the power to force your beliefs onto anyone else.

Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases. For that, I vote NO on their cause, just because of that. Otherwise, I wouldn't vote either way.

If it becomes politically incorrect to refer to a generic man's "wife" rather than "spouse", that's when it's bad.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Too bad Apple has to be PC like most other big corporations. What if someone wants to marry two women, or a man wants to marry a woman and another man, or wants to marry his dog. Should we be supporting that too because it might affect his workplace morale? :rolleyes:

No, it shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it affects workplace morale. It should be completely because it's simply the right thing to do.

Why do gay marriage opponents always bring up polygamy and bestiality? They aren't the same. Bestiality, especially, which makes no sense since animals are not consenting adults. And these were the same arguments people made when opposing mixed race marriage.

People who are on the opposing side of this are going to look bad to future generations.

There is literally no decent argument against gay marriage.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases. For that, I vote NO on their cause, just because of that. Otherwise, I wouldn't vote either way.

Gays are seeking the right to enter into a personal legal commitment between two individuals. Opponents are trying to stop this personal act from occurring. Therefore opponents of gay marriage the ones "forcing their beliefs" onto others. Isn't that obvious?

Churches wouldn't be forced to marry gay couples if they didn't want to. No one's rights are being trampled on. Unless you think that it is the "right" of conservative Christians to control everyone's actions. ?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases.

No one's trying to "turn you gay".

Unless by "forcing their beliefs on others", you mean, the belief that they shouldn't be oppressed. In which case... perhaps it's time you live by MY gods rules.
akhenatenhat.jpg

Oh wait, you already do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.