Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
India is the 2nd largest market, samsung's crappy note 2 which is priced at about 700 dollars sells twice the number as iphone 5s. Reasons?

Apple doesn't dominate well in certain countries. Their PR must suck in South Korea due to their lose-lose lawsuits.

----------

People like it better?

That's hard to believe, but then again, I guess butt-ugly Priuses and Hummers are fairly popular.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
lol, unless the roll out with a cheaper version, they're wont be a huge market.

nobody can afford that over there, let alone 3G.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
India is the 2nd largest market, samsung's crappy note 2 which is priced at about 700 dollars sells twice the number as iphone 5s. Reasons?

iPhone 5 is 850$-mentioned in the article.150$ is a serious amount,and moreover-marketing,samsung ads are every where and they have outlets in smaller cities as well-buying an iPhone or any apple product outside of major cities is next to impossible.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
lol, unless the roll out with a cheaper version, they're wont be a huge market.

nobody can afford that over there, let alone 3G.

I was under the impression that over in India and Japan the tech is way past what we have in the U.S. basically LTE everywhere and fiber optic internet. The reason we are so behind them is because we have such a large distance for our infrastructure to be built on while they have a small area with huge population density

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like they embellished a little bit on the prices. An iPhone 4 is $450 unlocked and the iPhone 5 is $650 unlocked, but can get as expensive as $850.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I was under the impression that over in India and Japan the tech is way past what we have in the U.S. basically LTE everywhere and fiber optic internet. The reason we are so behind them is because we have such a large distance for our infrastructure to be built on while they have a small area with huge population density

india a small area?

its a huge area with a huge population density.

and are you kidding me? India is way past the US in technology?

you're trolling bro, or your on that dope. i assume its the first.

you do know that india is a 3rd world country.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Lol no LTE--even 3G is spotty beyond tier-2 cities.But yes,India is very small in size IF compared to US.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Looks like they embellished a little bit on the prices. An iPhone 4 is $450 unlocked and the iPhone 5 is $650 unlocked, but can get as expensive as $850.

Um no,iPhone 4 costs Rs 27,000,and Galaxy Note is Rs 33,000-a little cheaper than 4S actually-5 costs Rs 42,000.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Lol no LTE--even 3G is spotty beyond tier-2 cities.But yes,India is very small in size IF compared to US.

i thought india was pretty huge, but i guess it was because all the cars go 50 mph tops.

but on a side note, u get used to it, but i thought i was gonna die riding those autos (3 wheeled taxis)

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
i thought india was pretty huge, but i guess it was because all the cars go 50 mph tops.

but on a side note, u get used to it, but i thought i was gonna die riding those autos (3 wheeled taxis)

7th Largest in size,but US is three times so.Lol autos--count yourself lucky if you made it alive-I myself keep praying when am inside one of those esp in New Delhi-traffic is chaos !

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That's hard to believe, but then again, I guess butt-ugly Priuses and Hummers are fairly popular.

Not hard to believe at all. The world would be a mighty boring place if everyone liked the same things and everyone had the same car, house, clothes etc. Why people think that every human on the planet should own an iPhone is beyond me. Buy what you like.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
7th Largest in size,but US is three times so.Lol autos--count yourself lucky if you made it alive-I myself keep praying when am inside one of those esp in New Delhi-traffic is chaos !

lol man, my dads been going to india for years, and he always rides the auto we have this one specific driver.

ive been there twice, its scary as hell. and ugh since im not indian they always charge higher, lol i just throw 30 rupees at them and give thema mean look and just leave.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
lol man, my dads been going to india for years, and he always rides the auto we have this one specific driver.

ive been there twice, its scary as hell. and ugh since im not indian they always charge higher, lol i just throw 30 rupees at them and give thema mean look and just leave.

It's still dirt cheap for you guys :p,and yeah they try to extort money from anyone who is white-skinned,or for that matter even regular indian-even I have to haggle for the fare-its a way of life in India lol.Try radio-taxis (proper cars) if in New Delhi-they are much better and fixed prices.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
In Apple's case, you wait for 30 minutes for an American representative. Microsoft just hooks you up to India instantly. Indians better hope Apple does for them what MS does! XD

Apple customer support was wonderful until the iPhone came out. Now it's bogged down with every idiot out there asking how to open Internet Explorer.

Dell also hooks you up to India for support, but the support is honestly excellent. They speak English very well, a lot better then I can..

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Phones are almost always sold unlocked and unsubsidized in India. iPhone is sold unlocked at a premium. This is more so than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Sony and others.

If people in the US had to pay full price for an iPhone $740 + sales tax, sales would be very low in the US as well. Our US carriers are making money hand-over-fist because we allow them to. In the long run we pay more, but that is classic American.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

A carrier-free Note II costs US$ 1026,00 in Brazil while an iPhone 5 costs around US$ 1130,00 and comes with a cr**py carrier logo and bloatware.

Looks pretty clear that the Note II is a better deal.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
India will likely be one of the two markets for the iPhone 4S-based lower-cost iPhone, along with China. However, the Indian market phone will likely be GSM, while the Chinese version will either be GSM or China Mobile's TD-SCDMA.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

No clue! I've met several foreign born Indian people in the states who think iPhones are for "girls". Don't know why?

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
they will get a customer service rep from america's deep south. A lady with a heavy southern drawl will answer, claiming: "hello my name is ajeeta pradeshivalli, how may i assist you today?"

lol i died.

To be honest though - they do need the Indian market. Being Indian myself I do see people coming over to US to buy iPhones and coming back to India. I live in Canada but majority of my relatives and friends do that. There's a market for it, but just not for every little guy out there. I guess they're missing out on a lot. But iPhone's there are how it was a while back in most countries. Someone looked at you and went "Oh, wow he has an iPhone", kind of like showing off. Now here everyone has one. Not that it's bad, but that's how it is back there...for now atleast.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Finally!!!

Tim cook understood that Indian market is good.

252000 is alot as all phones were bought out right without any contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.