Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
So since Pebble came out with the smart watch first...does this mean Apple and Samsung are copying Pebble? Or does it mean that if Apple comes out with a watch, Samsung is copying Apple?

Can't Pebble sue them both for the form factor since the devices will be watch-shaped and goes on the wrist? I heard I'm Watch is actually the first smart watch device.

So I think Sammy/Apple will copy Pebble who copied I'm Watch who copied the form factor of the first wrist watch who copied the hr/min/sec hands from the pocket watch who copied pocketable products from __________.

I hope this brings a lot of lawsuits to keep me entertained. Just kidding by the way. Just having fun.

Samsung brought the first WatchPhone out during the 90's with a touchscreen version released in 2009 in France.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16857930/

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
That's what I was discussing.

Now. But the conversation started with you asking for problems that a smart watch could address. I provided some. You ignored them.

These trivial usage cases are not sufficiently important or valuable to justify the introduction of a new product category.

And, again, we already both agreed that identity confirmation and security was not a trivial use case. In addition to NFC and lost iPhone prevention.

Apple does not do this sort of stuff.

Sure they do. Apple TV has sold around 15 million in 5 years. Most of that in the last year. I'd imagine Time Capsules probably sell in the neighborhood that an Apple smart watch would sell on the low end. Apple In Ear Headphones. Airport Express. Smart Cases.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Until someone explains what the core problem is, I will continue to doubt that Apple will create such a grossly gimmicky product.

Yes, what is the compelling, problem solving problem an iWatch will solve?

Lets look at this from other angles.
the iPhone did not really solve a problem, as current cell phones and even smart phones (blackberry) were more then adequate for the job. What it DID was, as the time, incorporate an iPod music player and significantly improved web browsing experience.
Everything else we have today on smartphones is other developers exploring the devices features as well as new ideas handset makers had.

Now lets look at the humble watch.
It is by far the most popular accessory for men, and quite popular on women. See the likes of Rolex, Omega (Bond's favorite), Breitling (aviators adverting), Bulova, all for hundreds or thousands of $$$$
Casio has done a fabulous job of integrating all manner of features into its watches (GPS too I think), and is very rugged.
Timex may not be as durable as it used to, but still has good reputation and popular following.

Watches are a trillion $$$$ industry.
Even if iWatch does not add anything new to watch designs, their is no doubt it will be a profitable segment to join.

BUT

As with the explosion of uses the iPhone enjoyed, I am sure developers will quickly find new ways to make use of an iWatch, and customers will want the latest wrist accessory.

IOW
iWatch is a SOLUTION looking for a problem. :)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Regardless I'm sure my iPhone will already be able to do it and the screen is bigger and it's always on me anyway!

I usually wear a watch anyway, if I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to get a glance of a text or email I just received and can just look at my wrist that would be convenient. Sure it's not necessary, but it's probably a niche market luxury.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I usually wear a watch anyway, if I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to get a glance of a text or email I just received and can just look at my wrist that would be convenient. Sure it's not necessary, but it's probably a niche market luxury.

I guess that's the market - I don't wear a watch and maybe that's why I don't get it - I still don't believe Apple will make one but I can stand corrected haha!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I guess that's the market - I don't wear a watch and maybe that's why I don't get it - I still don't believe Apple will make one but I can stand corrected haha!

The other thing is I rarely wear plastic watches, or watches with digital displays.

Out of the 8 watches I own, only one is digital, and what was my stopwatch for running. I don't think Apple will make an iWatch that I would wear. It has to be class and not tacky, and not be oversized.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
The other thing is I rarely wear plastic watches, or watches with digital displays.

Out of the 8 watches I own, only one is digital, and what was my stopwatch for running. I don't think Apple will make an iWatch that I would wear. It has to be class and not tacky, and not be oversized.

I am sure if Apple made a watch it would be classy, but it would be digital - I hate analog clocks personally so that wouldn't bother me, - digital watches are easier to get accurate time and you can see the time at a much quicker glance.

I have quite small wrists so I can't imagine it would fit me anyway!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am sure if Apple made a watch it would be classy, but it would be digital - I hate analog clocks personally so that wouldn't bother me, - digital watches are easier to get accurate time and you can see the time at a much quicker glance.

I have quite small wrists so I can't imagine it would fit me anyway!

I just can't image a watch with a digital face not looking like a toy.

Of all the "smart watches" out there right now Martian watches are the only ones I like, but the thing looks like it's a half inch thick.

I could wear this with a metal band.

iwatch-4.jpg

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

Of all the "smart watches" out there right now Martian watches are the only ones I like, but the thing looks like it's a half inch thick.

I'm sure they could come up with a nicer design then that - I would imagine they would still use aluminium so it will be ScuffGate allover again, but as a watch is always out in the elements it will scratch even more than the iPhone.

However saying that a black aluminium watch (including black aluminium strap) would look classy IMHO and would be nice and light without having any horrible plasticy look

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

I tried creating a mockup when I noticed how bad my photoshop skills are, this isn't really what I had in mind but ho hum!
owypByR.png

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
I have ordered a Pebble, but I won't wear it all the time - it's not classy enough. I will wear it at work, for it's functional advantages. But I also have classy analog watches that I will continue to wear for going out or more formal occasions.

Pebble advantages:
- epaper display - low power consumption, charge once/week
- SDK for 3rd party apps
- low cost
- cross platform iOS/Android
- supports notifications (including text) from devices
- controls music
- built in accelerometer for fitness apps
- built in vibration for notifications
- water resistant for swimming (leave your iphone by the pool)
- very enthusiastic company (I have had 33 project update emails from them since I ordered last year - very impressed)

Pebble disadvantages:
- still have to charge once/week, no wireless or inductive charging
- epaper display is disappointingly low resolution
- not very attractive (plastic, oversized)
- no touch screen (button interface only)
- small startup company so they are limited in resources and the manufacture/design process is a steep learning curve for them

If Apple could take the Pebble and overcome the style, display and charging issues, they would have a killer device.

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Oh, and what is the problem that Pebble will solve for me?

Mostly the notifications. I carry my iPhone with me in my trouser pocket. It is often inconvenient for me to pull my phone out of my pocket just to look at a notification - such as when driving or busy working.

Many of the notifications do not need a response straight away, but I like to be notified. Such as calendar reminders, text messages, emails, stock price movements/announcements. If I can just glance at my wrist that would be a killer solution to a big problem for me.

My wife has an even bigger problem. As a female she does not normally carry her phone in her pocket, and she frequently keeps it on silent/vibrate mode. It will either be sitting on a desk or in her handbag. She often misses phone calls and text messages, and often misplaces her phone. I know, because a lot of those phone calls and text messages come from me. The Pebble would solve that for her, and the "don't let me get separated from my phone" function would also solve a big problem for her (when someone writes the app!).

So I have ordered her one too, but I don't know if she will wear it very often because of it's appearance.

So please, Apple, I beg you. Design one my wife will wear! After all, it was Apple who brought smartphones into the land of cool for the female gender!

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012
I think you mean discovered. Numbers are inherent in nature.

Nopes, I did mean 'invented'. Number base systems are arbitrary. Octal, Hexadecimal or even Binary can be our everyday base system. Decimal was found logical since we have 10 fingers, so it is easy to count.

I really need to check the notifications panel regularly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.