Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
The Vendor in this case, is APPLE. They've responded by patching the exploit, so no-one else can maliciously use it.

You obviously do not know how bugs are fixed in relation to security vulnerabilities. For example, IOS 6.1's announcement coming via the Bugtraq mailing list, Secunia advisories, CVEs, etc.

Not to toot my own horn, but being a sysadmin and ISO, I know that a hell of a lot more and better than you realize. Yet you call me naive.

BL.
uh... yeah..ok... maybe if apple given what we wanted rather than not giving it by restricting is pretty much jailbreak is great thing. If they wanted to prevent security flaw....maybe they should allow us to do whatever the hell we want to do it with it.
In other words, there will always security flaw and prevent us to JB will stop it at all. Ur credibility is invalid. what credential do you have other than learn from youtube.:rolleyes:

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
About stealing....

Surely, many people are tempted to jailbreak to steal apps and music. And there are others who jailbreak just to improve the functionality of their phones. I admit to being tempted to wanting to steal a few apps, but realizing that developers work hard for meager pay has often stopped me from doing that.

I suspect that there aren't that many people who jailbreak for stealing apps and music. Anyway, it would be difficult for the average Joe who just jailbroke his phone to even figure out how to steal apps.

I've only "stolen" an app once, to see how it was, and promptly deleted it when it was trash. I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of apps. I own well over a hundred CDs. Several blu-rays, DVDs, a few itunes tracks and movies from iTunes. I subscribe to Netflix.

Apple needs to let us try before we buy, even for five minutes. My old LG flip phone had this option. If I liked it, I bought it. They let us preview music, don't they?

If they did that, piracy would take a massive hit, because there would be next to no risk to buy apps.

Furthermore, jailbreaking allows stealing music how exactly? Last I checked, I can still download and play.

Arguments against jailbreaking are invalid. Look, Apple doesn't like it. Look, it isn't for you. Look, you're not me, and I like being able to do on my devices what I want, and I'm not advocating YOU jailbreak and I'm not advocating anyone steal.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Isn't it ironic. I unlocked every Android device bootloader I've owned just to get the latest and greatest version of Android but iOS users will be avoiding the next version like the plague to keep their jailbreaks. That shows you the difference between Apple vs Google right there.
Samsung can try to re-lock my Note 2 bootloader till the cows come home but once your unlocked on Android there is no need to load up a factory ROM or accept OEM updates. You can just keep using custom or modified stock Samsung ROM's without seeing an update. I'm about to flash a Rom called "JediX". How can you not love a Rom with the word "Jedi" in it's name? My S-Pen will double as a lightsaber in about 5 minutes :D.
Apple's practices will actually make people want to come over to Android.

No crap, i think the uneducated believe hacking means stealing software and more. Which could be the case for a minority. The vast majority of supposed hackers just want to customize their iphone with functionality which is not supplied by apple.

Such as: on the fly settings changes, software which apple would not approve and so much more.

If people are not able to hack, then they will leave and get an android, firefox, windows or other phone. and to those who are cavalier about it, there is already the start of people who think "apple is uncool" if that were to grow .... it can really effect things.

there is much more for apple to lose by cutting off hacks than allowing them.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
uh... yeah..ok... maybe if apple given what we wanted rather than not giving it by restricting is pretty much jailbreak is great thing. If they wanted to prevent security flaw....maybe they should allow us to do whatever the hell we want to do it with it.
In other words, there will always security flaw and prevent us to JB will stop it at all. Ur credibility is invalid. what credential do you have other than learn from youtube.:rolleyes:

:confused:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
If that ever happened, you could just get a Windows-based PC... That's sorta how competition works.

Yeah and if Microsoft did it too? At what point is there a responsibility to society rather than one's own flipping GREED? Society starts to break down when you have to pay a toll to move past everyone's house in the country. There's a reason why there are public roads, parks, etc. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

ajxoxo

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, I'm starting to think that the reason Apple might take a little longer in putting out the 6.1.3 update is because they are actively working on shutting down all the exploits that evasi0n has used for the jailbreak tool.

Think about it. Apple already have beta 2 of the 6.1.3 out for developers, and it's stable and working with the Passcode bug fixed. So I think it's good to be released in its final version, except that Apple is probably trying to shut down those evasi0n exploits right now. When 6.1.3 comes out, jailbreaking will be over. At least, for a while.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

I said the same thing.. I was thinking of posting the valid parts of my resume, but then again, looking at the kid's spelling tells us everything we need to know.

I could slap his head around like Janet Jackson slapping that bald guy's head around in her video for "If", but I don't want to crush him...

yet. I'll let him fall on his own sword, and seeing that he's in Time-Out, he apparently already has.

BL.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Plus, with a jailbroken phone you can tweak it so that exploit doesn't work anyway.

Exactly.

Plus this exploit is really out of control and over hyped. Its not even that bad. If my phone gets in someones hands long enough for them to do it then they may as well keep it.

The phone never leaves my pocket or general area.

Also I don't have my whole life on a phone either, so if it gets stolen I'll just move on with life.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Exactly.

Plus this exploit is really out of control and over hyped. Its not even that bad. If my phone gets in someones hands long enough for them to do it then they may as well keep it.

The phone never leaves my pocket or general area.

Also I don't have my whole life on a phone either, so if it gets stolen I'll just move on with life.
No kidding eh. Plus as far as I can tell, it can only give you access to my phone and my contacts. Big deal

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Stock iOS users are not only still around but they STILL think they're doing Apple a favor or themselves by fighting jailbreakers?

Get over yourselves. Tim Cook doesn't even care who you are. You're a NUMBER to him. I love the audacity of anti-jail breakers and Apple Die Hards. They actually think they're members of the team at Cupertino lol.

You should be thanking us. Most of the 'innovative' tweaks you think are so special about your phone started out in Cydia.

I'll bet half of you don't even remember what iOS 3.0 was like.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I believe this is a bug with Auxo, i get it too. Theres apparently been an update submitted which may fix it.

I updated Auxo yesterday .. and it didn't crash since *fingers crossed*. Battery life still feels worse than before .. but that is always hard to tell, I was playing games more than usual lately, so that may very well be reason enough.

There is only really three things I have installed. Auxo is the only one I really care about, mainly mainly for the quick access to the settings and the app handling. If I had to uninstall it for bugs, I might as well go back to stock.

I am hanging in there for now :)

T

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
People who do the stupid jailbreak is for stealing apps without paying anything, the excuse of the sb settings is just too old, accept it, jailbreakers (sounds really funny) like to obtain things without paying anything.

... Let's imagine an iPhone 4 with a broken Home button (warranty expired) - there are lot of them, you can be sure.

In that case, the only way of using the phone normally (and actually in an even better and more intuitive way) is using such tweaks as Zephyr. And let's just imagine that this person doesn't have any intention of "stealing" apps or anything.

Would you blame him for jailbreaking?

(ps.: imho Zephyr is a so brilliant tweak that it solely makes JB-ing worth it)

CosmicDice

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Anyone know when this gomes public? I'm waiting. :)

Have to say that I dont care about jailbreakers and hope Apple fixes uses exploids. I want my iOS secure.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Aside from a few others, TetherMe alone saves me $330 a year in data usage.

TetherMe gets around a limitation of the carrier. Apple can't control that. And if you want to get technical, that's stealing, no matter how much you disagree with your carrier's policies.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
People who do the stupid jailbreak is for stealing apps without paying anything, the excuse of the sb settings is just too old, accept it, jailbreakers (sounds really funny) like to obtain things without paying anything.

If you ever make a trip to Texas or if I ever make a trip to Colombia, I will be sure to show you my *(#!ing phone. I will give you $10 for every app you find that I have downloaded illegally.

If you don't want to jailbreak, that's fine, but, don't generalize that all jailbreakers steal apps. By the way, there are other methods of stealing apps without jailbreaking.

Oh, and by the way, if you cannot find a single app on my phone that I downloaded illegally, I will be sure to claim some from you.

Last edited:

CosmicDice

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Jailbreaking is a good thing! It helps Apple to find security holes and patch them. Criminals cant get to your phone.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Haven't seen any tweak that would we worth JB and exploiding my phone to hackers. iOS works fine in stock and it doesent need to look or feel like android. I like Apples way of making secirity priority to users.

I dont care if some one want's to JB, they can always use older iOS or Android. Phone customation is so teenis. For main population on users iOS just works and security is important.

Ps. Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

Lockinfo. BiteSMS, 3G unrestricted, AppSync, Zephr, NCSettings. Oh god cannot live without

----------

TetherMe gets around a limitation of the carrier. Apple can't control that. And if you want to get technical, that's stealing, no matter how much you disagree with your carrier's policies.

AT&T detects TetherMe quite well thank you.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Zephr is why I would jailbreak alone. I love this tweak more than anything and I still find it flat out dumb that Apple hasn't added these gestures to the iPhone.

At first it seemed the excuse was "it would make it hard to recognize those gestures vs. someone just doing a normal control in an app. After using Zephr for quite a while now, with nothing else, I have not once confused the phone into think it should switch apps when it was just a normal gesture for a game/app. Heck I mistakenly bring down the notification center more on accident when playing games!

It took me less than an hour to be using Zephr like it was apart of stock iOS. It came very natural. Then a friend needed me show him something on his iPhone, which was running stock iOS, and when I started using it I couldn't use it. I was like "why won't the app switcher come up!?" "What the heck, switch apps!" Then I was like "oh...forgot Zephr is not stock iOS." The whole thing is very natural. I fully believed Zephr was just something not needed until I used it. You don't realize how natural feeling it is to switch apps using it until you actually do.

Plus the people who say the only people who jailbreak on people who want to steal software. Ha. If you believe that the only people who hack are people who want to steal stuff then you have a lot to learn. If that was the case then anyone's information would EASILY be stolen with the amount of hacking that actually takes place. Their is "Darkside" Hacking (Thanks Kevin Mitnick for giving me that term) and Ethical hacking. Just about every programmer who makes your favorite apps and games actually knows how to hack and can hack into information. Quite a bit do and can. We don't do that to get data to steal. We do it just to say we can. It's a challenge. It's one reason why programmers are programmers. We love the challenge of programming and problem solving. I myself have not once stolen any apps from jailbreaking...

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Stock iOS users are not only still around but they STILL think they're doing Apple a favor or themselves by fighting jailbreakers?

Get over yourselves. Tim Cook doesn't even care who you are. You're a NUMBER to him. I love the audacity of anti-jail breakers and Apple Die Hards. They actually think they're members of the team at Cupertino lol.

You should be thanking us. Most of the 'innovative' tweaks you think are so special about your phone started out in Cydia.

I'll bet half of you don't even remember what iOS 3.0 was like.

Fighting jailbreakers? Why? Do you really think, anyone or even Apple cares? They DO care about the security flaws that make a JB possible. They will try to mend this, not to stop the jailbreak, that is a side effect, but to plug the flaw.

And yes, I guess you have a point that some tweaks make it in to the stock system. That goes so far as to actually getting the programmer and getting them a job at Apple.

And yes, I do remember iOS3 and before. As I remember Android 1.5 and everything that came after up to 2.3.3, still the most used system because they can not get there act together.

I asked around and after a long search I did find someone that had jailbroken his iPhone (4S) und his iPad (3) he now has a "Dreamboard" on his devices, so they look like a HTC Android Phone and a Samsung Pad running Android. Wow. I asked him, why he did not simply buy the Android devices if the iOS look does not do it for him and he said that that would not be the same, it is sooooooo coooooool. Well, good for him, I still would get the Android phone if it was so important to me.
Evasi0n says that at 30 Million downloads now (incl. updates, about 18 Million unique) nearly 2% of jailbreakable devices used it. How many went back to stock nobody knows. But it still is hardly the mass epedemic one would thing when you read the forums.

I write this on my iPad mini, I can really not see a reason why I should jailbreak this device. Not because I disapprove of it, bit there is simply no reason.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fighting jailbreakers? Why? Do you really think, anyone or even Apple cares? They DO care about the security flaws that make a JB possible. They will try to mend this, not to stop the jailbreak, that is a side effect, but to plug the flaw.

And yes, I guess you have a point that some tweaks make it in to the stock system. That goes so far as to actually getting the programmer and getting them a job at Apple.

And yes, I do remember iOS3 and before. As I remember Android 1.5 and everything that came after up to 2.3.3, still the most used system because they can not get there act together.

I asked around and after a long search I did find someone that had jailbroken his iPhone (4S) und his iPad (3) he now has a "Dreamboard" on his devices, so they look like a HTC Android Phone and a Samsung Pad running Android. Wow. I asked him, why he did not simply buy the Android devices if the iOS look does not do it for him and he said that that would not be the same, it is sooooooo coooooool. Well, good for him, I still would get the Android phone if it was so important to me.
Evasi0n says that at 30 Million downloads now (incl. updates, about 18 Million unique) nearly 2% of jailbreakable devices used it. How many went back to stock nobody knows. But it still is hardly the mass epedemic one would thing when you read the forums.

I write this on my iPad mini, I can really not see a reason why I should jailbreak this device. Not because I disapprove of it, bit there is simply no reason.
No reason for you that is. As many others have demonstrated there are at least some if not more than just some reasons for plenty of others (and that's mainly just related to functionality/usability tweaks, not even bothering with look/feel ones).

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
No reason for you that is. As many others have demonstrated there are at least some if not more than just some reasons for plenty of others (and that's mainly just related to functionality/usability tweaks, not even bothering with look/feel ones).
Of course for me. All I am saying is, that at a jailbreak rate of less then 2% the vast majority seems to think the same way.
Thats why I do not think Apple is aktiv against the jailbreak, all they do is to eliminate the security flaws in the system. Of course, these errors make the jailbreak possible and fixing them destroys it but I for one rather have a safe device then funny locking icons or several times a day this sign "you are in safe mode, mobile substrate blah blah blah" like my friend with his "dreamboard" has.
I do not understand that if some funktions, tweaks or visual effects from the Android world are essential, to the point that the devise is "not usable without" like stated here, why these people buy an i Devive in the first place? Why not go to Android directly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.