Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxt210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Hi everybody!

I'm currently using a Lenovo Y570 that has i7 2630QM, Nvidia GT555, 8GB RAM, and 750GB hdd (5400 rpm).

I'm planning to buy a new rMBP 15" base model but I have some doubts and questions.

Almost everyone complain about IR issue on LG screens. There are many complaints about laggy behavior in many cases such as typing and web browsing. This will be my first Mac and I don't wanna face problems with a laptop that I pay over 2000$.

You can say "Don't buy it then" but I'm a recently graduated computer engineer and many of my friends say macs have many advantages over classic Windows machines. I want to experince the rMBP. I bought my current laptop 1.5 years ago and now I'm not sure whether I should buy a mac or not. Should I wait for the next release/upgrade or just buy it now? Btw this wait process is not for a newer chip (haswell) etc but for the current problems of this machine to be resolved.

Thank you.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
FYI, the rMBP has just been updated with faster processors, they might have resolved some issues since it's the second model.
Haswell will be at least another 6 months, probably more, like October or so.

The lag is mostly in Safari, but there is a fix for this, nightly built of WebKit.(AFAIK)
The machine is good, except maybe the IR problems, but these seem to be much less than before, the problems with lag will most probably be solved in 10.8.3.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
FYI, the rMBP has just been updated with faster processors, they might have resolved some issues since it's the second model.

The lag is mostly in Safari, but there is a fix for this, nightly built of WebKit.(AFAIK)
The machine is good, except maybe the IR problems, but these seem to be much less than before, the problems with lag will most probably be solved in 10.8.3.

Webkit is a perfect alternative to Safari until Apple releases an update to fix scrolling lag. Buy it, you will not be disappointed. It's an amazing machine.

kx22

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Same reason for me, but I will wait. Not because of haswell or any upgrade, just dont want to buy a machine this spectacular and finding screen issues. This machine is all about the screen....they had 1 job, and decided to keep the LG after the upgrade.
Ill wait for the real refresh. Hopefully 1 with adjustable memory.
Until then I keep using my Air 2010.

cxt210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Thank you for your help guys. I think I'll buy it :) The only big problem I may face screen issues I guess. I hope its screen won't be an LG.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hi everybody!

I'm currently using a Lenovo Y570 that has i7 2630QM, Nvidia GT555, 8GB RAM, and 750GB hdd (5400 rpm).

I'm planning to buy a new rMBP 15" base model but I have some doubts and questions.

Almost everyone complain about IR issue on LG screens. There are many complaints about laggy behavior in many cases such as typing and web browsing. This will be my first Mac and I don't wanna face problems with a laptop that I pay over 2000$.

You can say "Don't buy it then" but I'm a recently graduated computer engineer and many of my friends say macs have many advantages over classic Windows machines. I want to experince the rMBP. I bought my current laptop 1.5 years ago and now I'm not sure whether I should buy a mac or not. Should I wait for the next release/upgrade or just buy it now? Btw this wait process is not for a newer chip (haswell) etc but for the current problems of this machine to be resolved.

Thank you.

To be honest, your situation sounds like you don't need it now. I'd wait for the refresh if possible.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
I would probably wait it out until more info is released about the screens etc.

After 1 month, and 3 returns I have in my possession a sound 15R computer.

2.3 machines
1st- LG, computer got Scorching hot while plugged in on sleep. (power nap off)
2nd- Samsung, Screen flicker/ horizontal lines

2.4 machines
3rd- LG, screen was noticeably dimmer then any compared mac
4th- Samsung, no issues.

Despite the issues i do truly love this computer but it was redicules that one had to go through that much time/driving & headache to get a sound computer.

Seems like many LG pannel owners on here will say theirs is fine etc. That one like me is over reacting bla bla. Not the case at all, maybe once in my life I returned a products do to being faulty and the second worked (external HDD back years ago).

Another thing to note, is the fans would randomly come on on all the units I had including the current. Doesn't directly effect me so I have ignored it.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Seems like many LG pannel owners on here will say theirs is fine etc. That one like me is over reacting bla bla. Not the case at all, maybe once in my life I returned a products do to being faulty and the second worked (external HDD back years ago).

This is exactly the issue. No one is right or wrong. We all have different tolerances to this problem.

Granted there are some really severe cases of ghosting out there, but at the same time I think there are also cases at the other extreme where people are complaining of 10 milliseconds of IR.

The truth lies somewhere between the two I guess.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Go buy one, and if you don't like it, you have 14 days to return it.
However, the retina machines are nowhere near problematic as they are made out to be at all. It's just that a few people like to stir things up whenever they have a bad apple.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
This is exactly the issue. No one is right or wrong. We all have different tolerances to this problem.

Granted there are some really severe cases of ghosting out there, but at the same time I think there are also cases at the other extreme where people are complaining of 10 milliseconds of IR.

The truth lies somewhere between the two I guess.

I completely agree with you, I actually did Not run any IR tests on any of the computers I had.. figured they were to new to show any signs so I did not even bother.

I do however, feel like apple SHOULD give retina macbook customers 2year warranty included in the price of the unit on just IR alone as it is prevalent in many cases. Units are not even a year old and look at the amount of issues to the point many apple stores have replacement screens on hand for service.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

The lag is software induced...
The CPU bump is insignificant.

That said, rMBP is awesome, love mine.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The lag is software induced...
The CPU bump is insignificant.

That said, rMBP is awesome, love mine.

Yeah, I am aware it's a minor speed bump which does not make much difference, I also know it's software related, the GPU can easily drive the display.
But, I do think they ironed out some problems which the first one had/has.

Enjoy your rMBP.:)

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Dude your machine is fine. If you really want a taste of OSX, buy a Classic Pro on Ebay from their unofficial Ebay power seller and just sell it when the refresh comes out. Even that's excessive. Get an ipad. lol

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Same reason for me, but I will wait. Not because of haswell or any upgrade, just dont want to buy a machine this spectacular and finding screen issues. This machine is all about the screen....they had 1 job, and decided to keep the LG after the upgrade.
Ill wait for the real refresh. Hopefully 1 with adjustable memory.
Until then I keep using my Air 2010.

Same here, my 2010 Air doing fine, waiting to see if any issues with the Haswell version.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

Any info on what issues have been resolved? :)

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, I am aware it's a minor speed bump which does not make much difference, I also know it's software related, the GPU can easily drive the display.
But, I do think they ironed out some problems which the first one had/has.

Enjoy your rMBP.:)

How? It still ships with the same OS version.

As far as HW changes go, I'm holding my breath till iFixit tears one apart

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
Any info on what issues have been resolved? :)

You can still read about people having problems with fans running for no obvious reasons. The big issue for me is whether these machines have the same issues as previous generations, i.e. components dying due to excessive heat, leading to a prohibitively expensive logic board replacement that is not economical after guarantee expires. That question is not answered within a two weeks no-questions-asked return period.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Thank you for your help guys. I think I'll buy it :) The only big problem I may face screen issues I guess. I hope its screen won't be an LG.

There's a very high likelihood it will be LG. The days of stellar Samsung displays are drawing to a close. Apple hates Samsung. No worries LG is not too bad.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
You can still read about people having problems with fans running for no obvious reasons. The big issue for me is whether these machines have the same issues as previous generations, i.e. components dying due to excessive heat, leading to a prohibitively expensive logic board replacement that is not economical after guarantee expires. That question is not answered within a two weeks no-questions-asked return period.

That's... Hearsay? Didn't happen to mine once since I got it.

As for the second part, it's been half a year since the last release, they could hardly fix something that didn't pose as a problem until now?

cxt210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
There's a very high likelihood it will be LG. The days of stellar Samsung displays are drawing to a close. Apple hates Samsung. No worries LG is not too bad.

Really? Is the probability of an LG screen greater than Samsung? I don't understand this. I don't care the problems between Apple and Samsung. How can Apple take the risk of selling defective products even if it hates Samsung?

How can you be so sure that it will be LG most probably?

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013

That's... Hearsay? Didn't happen to mine once since I got it.

As for the second part, it's been half a year since the last release, they could hardly fix something that didn't pose as a problem until now?

Sorry Ploki I would very strongly disagree that the fans coming on at random is hearsay. I have now been through 4 machines over the past 2 weeks all with the same issue. It has been driving me nuts as I exchanged a perfectly great 2012 rMBP that did not have any of the same problems faced with the 4 2013 rMBP.

There are some threads already here regarding this problem and several more on the apple support communities.

From my own tests over the 4 units and from others it seems to be a problem somewhere with the SSD.

The apple store took the stance of it's meant to do that at first. So explain why the 2012 did not? Then when presented with a video I took of the issue they agreed "it isn't quite normal". When my 4th unit failed the apple hardware test and sprung up a problem with the HDD/SATA they finally were convinced that "OK something is defiantly not correct."

They offered me another exchange but after going backwards and forwards from the apple store and exchanging unit after unit only to be deflated every time when the problem occurred yet again I opted for money back on gift card and I will wait for a little bit of time for apple to sort the problem out.

Fingers crossed

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Really? Is the probability of an LG screen greater than Samsung? I don't understand this. I don't care the problems between Apple and Samsung. How can Apple take the risk of selling defective products even if it hates Samsung?

How can you be so sure that it will be LG most probably?

Don't take my word for it, you'll see soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.