Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvsisi

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Hello, I recently bought an iPhone 3G and (unknown to me at the time) it was already jailbroken.

I would very much like to make it run the latest official firmware it is capable of running. I tried the procedure in the first post but iTunes refuses to complete the restoration due to 'Error 1015'.

What can I do?

Help much appreciated.

You need to restore it using a custom restore file (see below) , which is what I need. Unfortunately the hotfile that was sharing the file has been removed - does any have this file that they could share? I'm without a phone until I can get this! Help please??!!

iPhone3G_4.2.1_8C148_Custom.iPhoneRock.Com.ipsw

K3it4r0

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
I have a problem restoring my iPhone 4. Now is jailbroken with 5.0.1, and I want to restore it with the same firmware (in case I want to jailbreak it again). I put it in DFU mode with redsnow (last version) , installed tiny umbrella, save SHSH, start TSS server and I get all the time error 1600(with both the option "set host to cydia" check and uncheck), or sometimes other random error. Any suggestion?

fastrack151

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
A few time i have been seeking to go returning to not being jailbroken, and in the last, mature the apple company iphones you could quickly, but i keep in mind i had a jailbroken the apple company iphone and i went to recover it and it very much got trapped and i had to offer it trapped. now im jailbroken again, but im having a problem with edge/3G and i want to go to the apple company to see if they can fix it or just provide a new one, but i know if they see it being jailbroken they probably won't help me.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
Always I have had the same question...

the iTunes (and the iCloud) backups keep * all * included files/paths used by Cydia and applications/tweaks right?

The question is more than anything, if I ever want to remove the jb and don't want to lose my apps settings and savegames.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
I'm using an iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 jail broken with absinthe 2.0.2.

Is it nessessary to put my phone into DFU mode during a factory restore? Or can I just restore it the usual way?

Also say if I have paid for apps since the jailbreak, how would I back them up without storing any of the jailbreak data? So I can safely restore them after a restore? Because I've heard just using the backup tool in iTunes saves jailbreak data, which is useless... ?

keke007

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Hi friends,

This post was a life saver!!! I attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with QuickPwn and got stuck in a continuous loop of restarts that didn't work. This post got me back to normal. I will attempt to jailbreak later now that I know I have this option. Thank for share!

Have fun!

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I can't believe there's a thread for how to click the restore button in itunes.

I also can't believe people still use quickpwn.

clunc

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Sprint 4s restore

Hi All,

Monday the 24th I start a new job in which they are providing cell phone. It will be a Verizon iPhone (probably 4s), so I want to give my wife my Sprint 4s to use with her number. I'm currently jailbroken and thought it would be easy to just wipe and restore, and reactivate on our existing Sprint account with her number. However, Sprint tells me a jailbroken iPhone, once restored to factory settings, won't connect to the network on a different line. I'm obviously a little puzzled by this. I'm not sure sprint customer service guy knows what he's talking about, but I'm not knowledgable enough to just let it go and proceed with my plan without being sure. My wife doesn't want to change her number. Is it possible to do what I want to do? And if so, is it as simple as I think it will be? Will I have to take it in to a Sprint store to get the line swapped? Or can I do it on their website?

Maxwell1122

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Jailbroken w/ iOS 5.1.1 need iOS 6

Hello, can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from Jailbroken 5.1.1 to Un Jailbroken iOS6. My ipad is currently jailbroken and I want it running on iOS6. Thanks!

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
Hello, can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from Jailbroken 5.1.1 to Un Jailbroken iOS6. My ipad is currently jailbroken and I want it running on iOS6. Thanks!

1. Connect your iPad to a Mac (or PC if you have to :D)

2. In itunes, backup the iPad

3. Now click on the Restore button

4. itunes should automatically update to IOS6 but if it doesnt, go to Settings->General->Software Update and do it from there

sandsrai

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
problem while restoring

One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..

MY PROBLEM

my iphone is in recovery mode
i connected with itunes
my itunes detects my iphone
name :iphone
capacity: N/A
available: N/A
version : N/A

i restore then (restore and update) comes i clicked it
(itunes is restoring software in this iphone) appears

preparing iphone for restore
waiting for iphone
in iphone the loading screen appears
restoring iphone software
verifying iphone software
verifying iphone restore
in iphone screen software loading is 75% now

dang! "the iphone ' sands iphone'could not be restored.An unknown error occured"

thats it finished again my iphone is in recovery mode still itunes detects it bt same thing happens when i restore it

can u help me plz

nerak99

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
@Sandsrai.
As the amusing battle between jail breakers and Apples carries on. Much of this issue arises from Apple's view of the way that their hardware should be used and good luck to them really. History shows that they are into a never ending battle.

Meanwhile the merely curious can end up with phones that are temporarily disabled.

In your case, it is likely to be some kind of signing issue. This is where Apple are no longer signing the version of iOS that you are trying to restore to.

On your Itunes computer it is worth checking that there is not a redirect in your hosts file for gs.apple.com. (Look for a file called hosts in a folder called etc). If there is such a line, take a backup of the file and delete the line that refers to gs.apple.com.

Put your phone into restore mode (Picture of USB and msg to plug said USB into iTunes) and try to get iTunes to restore to factory settings. This is rather like doing DFU mode but let go of power button as soon as screen goes black and let go of home button when iTunes tells you it has detected a phone in recovery mode. The let iTunes have a go at a restore.

If this does not work then Apple publish how to remove dodgy prior ipsw files from iTunes. This may solve the signing problem as iTunes will be able to push the absolute latest version on to your phone which (obviously) Apple are still signing.

It is worth retrying the restore and if it fails, follow up the error code (end tag in the url when you click on "more info") on the Apple site.

Restoring my phone took me through 3194, then 1604, then -1 and finally success.

The only reason I jailbroke it in the first place was to have a go at using siri, which, IMHO unreasonably, you cannot get from the App store for the model of iPhone I have. It is this kind of consumer bullying which gets people to support jailbreaking in the first place. Siri, BTW again IMHO, is over rated.

Last edited:

kevin14433

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Chandigarh
Thanks for the guideline. I followed it and it works. But now I am having another problem that I am not able to send or receive any application from other phones or to other phones. What I should do now and how can I sort out this problem.

Regards

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
btw, i can't seems to update my ipad from 5.1.1 to 6.1

3WoUxmu.png

keep getting this msg.
anyone has a solution?

Last edited:

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Always I have had the same question...

the iTunes (and the iCloud) backups keep * all * included files/paths used by Cydia and applications/tweaks right?

The question is more than anything, if I ever want to remove the jb and don't want to lose my apps settings and savegames.

This is the thing preventing me doing the latest Jailbreak. I remember Jailbreaking a few years back and everything was up and running perfectly (or so i'd thought) so backed up my phone as usual over iCloud but after a while i found apps were crashing loads and my phone in general became unstable so i decided to go back to the official firmware (I can't remember now what version) but when it came time to restore my data from my iCloud backup i couldn't do it :confused: I can't remember exactly now what happened but i just know i had to start my phone as if it was a new phone again which was extremely annoying.

Is this likely to happen again?

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
This is the thing preventing me doing the latest Jailbreak. I remember Jailbreaking a few years back and everything was up and running perfectly (or so i'd thought) so backed up my phone as usual over iCloud but after a while i found apps were crashing loads and my phone in general became unstable so i decided to go back to the official firmware (I can't remember now what version) but when it came time to restore my data from my iCloud backup i couldn't do it :confused: I can't remember exactly now what happened but i just know i had to start my phone as if it was a new phone again which was extremely annoying.

Is this likely to happen again?

I don't know if it will happen again, but all you need to do is restore it from a different computer. Worked for me.

II BISTRO II

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
tried to restore today (iphone 5, 6.1 jailbroken) and got an error message through itunes (3014 if i remember properly)

i put my phone into safemode through activator (had safemode set to triple press home button) and went to restore again and it worked

hope this helps someone who runs into the same issue

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
alright guys... im at the wonder "waiting for iphone" part.... just wondering how long should i wait before i conclude i need to do something else....

progress bar doesnt appear to be doing anything.... thanks

I have put the phone in Dfu mode and have gotten error "9" as well

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Error 21 occurred when restoring iPad :confused:

Try putting your iPad into DFU mode while it is plugged into your computer. Hold power and home button for about 10 seconds. Then let go of the power button while still holding the home button until your computer detects the device. Then restore your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.