Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
People who are complaining aren't seeing the the point. You WONT be using this EVERY SINGLE MOMENT. You apply simple gestures to the UI that give you quick commands you need. Nothing precise, simple. Then you keep using your mouse and keyboard combo and apply leap for something that needs a gesture and feels more natural.

There are certain things that a mouse and keyboard will always do but there are other that can fee more natural.

Came here to post this.

It's a supplement to a keyboard and mouse. Not everyone keeps their arms resting on the table or desk when at a computer. When you want to scroll through something with the flick of a wrist, the Leap will let you do that.

If you want.

I think this technology will be more practical in the future than touchscreens on laptop or desktop screens.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Came here to post this.

It's a supplement to a keyboard and mouse. Not everyone keeps their arms resting on the table or desk when at a computer. When you want to scroll through something with the flick of a wrist, the Leap will let you do that.

If you want.

I think this technology will be more practical in the future than touchscreens on laptop or desktop screens.

Thank you. I don't understand why everyone has to view everything as a replacement. Basically touch screen without the touch. It will be a welcome addition to be able to sit back and navigate a page or a document without having to have my hands always on the keyboard and mouse.

I suspect that apple will buy this company (or someone else will) and it will become standard before you know it. People will wonder how they ever lived without it. Remember people thought the mouse was a stupid idea. Same goes for the trackpad. When they released the mouse they didn't tell you that you would never use your keyboard. They simply provided an alternative to using the keyboard for the tasks for which is made sense.

My immediate thought for how I would use this would be while reading papers (journal articles and the such). I could sit back and read the paper and use my finger to highlight stuff. As it is now I have to lean forward and put my hand on the track pad. Move it around a bit to locate the cursor then align it with the text and attempt to highlight. It would be much quicker and more intuitive to be able to simply lift my hand and point and highlight. Not having to actually reach all the way out to the screen is a big plus.

As for the person that commented about siri for mac not being a useful idea, I can think of a place I would love to have it. Reading my email. I would love to be able to pull up my mail and be able to sort through it just saying stuff like "trash", "followup", "move to work" .... It would make going through my email much quicker and easier. Not to mention I wouldn't have to have my hands on the desk constantly typing and clicking. Now if I wanted to actually write a reply well that would be done with the keyboard.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
I hope they can integrate bluetooth into this device. It loses a lot of its nice design by having to have that cable connected all the time.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Awesome! Another $20 gadget that will assist me in spilling my 75¢ coffee all over my $50 keyboard, $200 mouse and $900 suit!

Sounds awesome! Where do I get one?

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Imagine the sensor built into a laptop. Your palms resting on the palm rest. Imagine moving your fingers slightly to perform gestures. I'm serious, place your hands on your keyboard (doesn't have to be a laptop) and do a scrolling motion moving only your index finger and not your entire arm/hand. Or a side to side swiping gesture. Or pinching gesture. Your arm is not going to be tired because it's resting on the laptop's palm rest or the surface of your desk. The beauty of this is that the interface is not on the computer monitor like with current touchscreen desktops. It can be anywhere. The sensor is small enough to be embedded within today's computers. And it's not limited to a single plane of input (touchscreens can only take input in two dimensions or a single 2D surface), it's 3D. And it's also millimeter precise.

The point is you don't need to LIFT your entire arm. And the plane of input is extended to 3 dimensions.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
USB? Seriously?

Got a better technology to use with less latency?

Keep in mind battery life, response time, etc.

This device does finger tracking in real time, there's a reason MS went with usb over wireless for the kinect ;)

fluxforge

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
europe
Has Leap shipped the pre-orders yet? I pre ordered one of the controllers back in November '12 and haven't heard back from them yet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Has Leap shipped the pre-orders yet? I pre ordered one of the controllers back in November '12 and haven't heard back from them yet.

I preordered end of June 2012 and got an email about 3 weeks ago saying early pre-orders will ship fom May 1st.

I almost forgot I pre-ordered its been so long :)

djowens1

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Other than looking retarded, why would someone use this over say... I don't know. A trackpad? Looks like so much more work. Have to move you hand up and down to select an item before you do a gesture.

Just seems weird. Move your finger in a one inch swipe vs swaying your whole damn arm to click.

Remember: According to Leap Motion, their controller is designed to "augment" the mouse and keyboard, not replace them. So, to be able to navigate in some apps, and perform basic finder actions with this device would definitely help. Of course, we definitely will see how this device fares when they finally come out with it to the masses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.