Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GigaOM reports that Major League Baseball is expanding support for Apple's Passbook app, announcing that the digital tickets will be accepted at 13 stadiums this season, up from just four last season.

forstall_giants_passbook.jpg
MLB was one of Apple's launch partners for Passbook in September, with mobile tickets accepted by the New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Kansas City Royals. They are being joined this season by the Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland A's, Pittsburgh Pirates, Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs. Three further teams are due to join, but have not yet been named.

Tickets can be purchased using the free AtBat app and then stored in Passbook.

samsungwallet.png
Not to be outdone, Samsung today announced Samsung Wallet, an Android app which mirrors Passbook's functionality, right down to time- and location-based push notifications. The app is currently a developer-only beta, with the public version launching soon. The Verge reports that Samsung has also signed a deal with MLB, as well as Walgreens, Belly, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Lufthansa for the app's launch.
The company showed off a few features of the new app during its developer keynote, and it's quite clear that Samsung took its design inspiration for Wallet from Apple's Passbook (even down to the icon that Samsung used).
Interestingly, the app will not support near field communications (NFC) payment technology for the time being, despite Samsung's existing partnership with Visa's PayWave service. Samsung says that retailers have so far been reluctant to invest in the additional infrastructure to support NFC payments, making NFC support for Wallet a lower-priority feature.

Article Link: Major League Baseball Triples Passbook Acceptance as Samsung Launches Look-alike Wallet App

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Oh Samsung, how very typical.

Attachments

• samsung_apple.jpg
    samsung_apple.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,274

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can't they at least attempt something original, like a different icon? I'm also surprised they didn't incorporate NFC. I guess its primary usage is still sharing racy videos with your SO. :D

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It's so ironic that on one hand they will shout until they're hoarse spouting "We don't copy Apple" and then this on the other.

I mean, come on Samsung, at least make it not completely and absolutely blatantly obvious!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not surprising that Samsung would copy the model if its one that is gaining adoption in the industry. I still question the actual adoption rate of Apple's passbook anyway - but that's another matter.

But yes- Samsung is clearly copying and putting their own spin on Apple's passbook.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
What would Samsung do without Apple ... where would they get the inspiration from? Is there a single Apple design or idea that they didn't clone for cheap? I somehow fail to see where Samsung innovates, something many people claim they do (and no, giant phone screens are not innovation)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Apps for Passbook in the UK store - still five. No new ones launched since Starbucks.

Of those five two are American airlines with no significant UK presence.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I'm insulted that u guys weren't pissed at apple for selling this as an iOS 6 feature !!!!!!!!

Seriously a feature !!!!!?!?!?!!?!!

Don't get mad at Samsung - get mad at apple !!

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I'm shocked, shocked to find that Samsung would copy Apple so closely.

the droids will claim that this is the natural evolution of things and it would have happened anyway and Apple did only the obvious thing that everyone else was already thinking about - this goes for the idea, the implementation and the icon - therefore Samsung did not copy because Apple did not do anything but stealing the obvious idea.

M

Mr.damien

Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.

Sad but your justice let them doing so. So it means the US support them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.