Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Sharing ideas is one thing, literally doing everything your competitor does (down to copying the style of power adapter plug, packaging, services, etc) is a bit above and beyond. I think most people can see the difference.

Apple wasn't the first e-wallet and certainly wont be the last. Why so many people are getting worked up is beyond me. So its ok for Apple to "copy" ideas from android, but as soon as its the other way round theres uproar!

Some of the comments in this thread really show a complete lack of intelligence.

Copying the style of power adapter and packaging? Oh come on.... :rolleyes:

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Big rant about how this is a good thing

I agree with you completely. Passbook isn't a design, and it isn't a feature. It's an app. And it's an app that the developer chose not to make on multiple platforms. It's apple's fault they didn't create an android app for this to capitalize on.

Exactly as you said, the more phone users that have a passbook type functionality the better. It will push the growth of participating vendors.

No one is pissed that there are alarm apps for android even though apple offers one standard as a "feature."

shuka.margolin

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
hope apple takes them to court

hope apple takes them to court

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

GigaOM reports that Major League Baseball is expanding support for Apple's Passbook app, announcing that the digital tickets will be accepted at 13 stadiums this season, up from just four last season.

MLB was one of Apple's launch partners for Passbook in September, with mobile tickets accepted by the New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Kansas City Royals. They are being joined this season by the Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland A's, Pittsburgh Pirates, Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs. Three further teams are due to join, but have not yet been named.

Tickets can be purchased using the free AtBat app and then stored in Passbook.

Not to be outdone, Samsung today announced Samsung Wallet, an Android app which mirrors Passbook's functionality, right down to time- and location-based push notifications. The app is currently a developer-only beta, with the public version launching soon. The Verge reports that Samsung has also signed a deal with MLB, as well as Walgreens, Belly, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Lufthansa for the app's launch.
YouTube: video
Interestingly, the app will not support near field communications (NFC) payment technology for the time being, despite Samsung's existing partnership with Visa's PayWave service. Samsung says that retailers have so far been reluctant to invest in the additional infrastructure to support NFC payments, making NFC support for Wallet a lower-priority feature.

Article Link: Major League Baseball Triples Passbook Acceptance as Samsung Launches Look-alike Wallet App

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Apple wasn't the first e-wallet and certainly wont be the last. Why so many people are getting worked up is beyond me. So its ok for Apple to "copy" ideas from android, but as soon as its the other way round theres uproar!

Some of the comments in this thread really show a complete lack of intelligence.

Passbook isn't really a wallet though, and it's certainly different that Google wallet.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Apps for Passbook in the UK store - still five. No new ones launched since Starbucks.

Of those five two are American airlines with no significant UK presence.

I go to a ton of live music events. Almost every vendor I've bought tickets from has given me the option of Passbook tickets. The tix are sent as links in email and pop open in Passbook.

notthedark

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Saw this on the Verge:

Microsoft
Wallet_Icon.png

Google
Google-Wallet-icon.jpg

Apple
LogoPassbook.png

Samsung
img_walletapi_overview.gif

You'd think Samsung would try to be as little like Apple as possible so no one for even a second would question whether they're copying.

And this icon for the Key Ring app which that does pretty much the same thing as Passbook and all the other apps. But, it came out YEARS earlier. This icon and passbook's icon are lot more similar than Google's above. Apple - always original.:rolleyes:

mzl.lxiikexy.175x175-75.jpg

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
This is what would have happened:
1) Google Android would have copied the look and feel of Blackberry and have a Google search as the dominate feature.

2) Microsoft's Mobile phone would have expanded on the Windows CE concept with larger buttons and probably a physical keyboard. It eventually would have been a hit with consumers after a few generations.

3) Samsung would have copied Microsoft

Remember the google phone prototype from before the iPhone was announced? It just looked like an BlackBerry phone:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1037_3-6230132.html

The touchscreen and UI design changed after the iPhone was announced to be more closely to the iPhone than blackberry ... but again, this is apparently the natural evolution and has nothing to do with copying.

(couldn't find the original pictures, but there were more from way before the iPhone)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Steve Jobs: "Good artists copy, great artists steal"
Steve Jobs/Apple "Just don't steal from us!"

Typical, but it was bound to happen soon enough. :cool:

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
The passbook app resides in a folder called useless apps on my phone in a screen out of view. Until the infrastructure to scan my phone catches up, it is useless.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Remember the google phone prototype from before the iPhone was announced? It just looked like an BlackBerry phone:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1037_3-6230132.html

The touchscreen and UI design changed after the iPhone was announced to be more closely to the iPhone than blackberry ... but again, this is apparently the natural evolution and has nothing to do with copying.

LG Prada which was first announced in 2006? :rolleyes:
423px-LG_KE850_Prada_Hauptmen%C3%BC.jpg

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Why would samsung need to copy that stale/boring iOS?

/sarcasm

Because some(read a lot) people still prefer it?

----------

Steve Jobs: "Good artists copy, great artists steal"
Steve Jobs/Apple "Just don't steal from us!"

Typical, but it was bound to happen soon enough. :cool:

Soon? "Soon" as in from 1998 with osx? Have you got any idea how much microsoft ripped off?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

I haven't seen Apple completely ape another manufacturer before. If you could point me to evidence of such, I'll take a look.

And if you're not seeing that Samsung (not Google or any other vendor) takes this to an extreme, then I guess you're just missing it. It appears to be a giant running joke to most everyone else.

notthedark

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
The passbook app resides in a folder called useless apps on my phone in a screen out of view. Until the infrastructure to scan my phone catches up, it is useless.

Love it. My folder is called "JUNK." I stuck all of Apple's apps that are worthlessly wasting precious space on my phone in it that I'm not allowed to delete. Passbook, Game Center, News Stand, Maps, Voice Memos, Compass, Videos.

Wow! Looking back at that list Apple is wasting a lot of space on my phone.

NC12309

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
You people are so funny. I'm pretty sure Google Wallet was first before Passbook. Also better. So shut up about copying. Apple copies just as much.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
For blatantly copying?

Copying? Creating an app with similar features you mean. So what trademark/patent laws have they broken that would warrant them being taken to court?

Thats like Visa taking Mastercard to court for creating a card that allows you to pay for purchases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.