Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added movie support to its iTunes in the Cloud service in 11 new European countries today, enabling customers in those countries to re-download content previously purchased from the iTunes store. The new countries include Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

As noted by French site iGen [Google translation], France has also seen iTunes in the Cloud support go live for TV shows.

itunes_cloud_films.jpg
iTunes in the Cloud was first launched for music in June 2011 in the United States, with Apple adding movie and TV show support for U.S. users in March 2012. Movie coverage has been gradually expanded since that time, with today's additions bringing the total to nearly 100 countries.

iTunes in the Cloud support for TV shows remains much more limited, with France becoming just the fifth country to see the feature, joining Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Article Link: iTunes in the Cloud for Movies Goes Live in 11 New European Countries, Also for TV Shows in France

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
One of the best things Apple have done with iTunes. Being able to redownload purchases and match songs not purchased through iTunes.
I haven't bought a CD in 7 years since getting an iPod.

muzzymate

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Wish they would get rid of the 25,000 song limit (or offer selective syncing). Amazon has a 250,000 limit but their web app is terrible. As currently implemented, iTunes Match is completely broken when your library hits 25,001 non iTunes tracks.

macusermdm

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I just wish my movies would stop disappearing. I purchase movies from my AppleTV. I stream them when I want to view them. I don't want them clogging my HD up. Then, all of a sudden, movies are not available to stream or redownload. Apple tells me I should have backed up my purchased. I thought the deal was that I can redownload and stream them whenever I wanted to.

Frustrated.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I just wish my movies would stop disappearing. I purchase movies from my AppleTV. I stream them when I want to view them. I don't want them clogging my HD up. Then, all of a sudden, movies are not available to stream or redownload. Apple tells me I should have backed up my purchased. I thought the deal was that I can redownload and stream them whenever I wanted to.

Frustrated.

'Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases' checkbox doesn't seem to save my preferences. I keep having to recheck it to find purchased films.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
I agree. Half my movies I had to redownload a year ago are now gone. I contact Apple and they say there is nothing they can do.

Frustrated.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I agree. Half my movies I had to redownload a year ago are now gone. I contact Apple and they say there is nothing they can do.

I thinks that is because they are only allowed to provide movies in the cloud for a short time (since 2011 i think). Lot of complications when dealing with copyright holder, especially big corporations.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is something Apple should address. Is it in the cloud or not? They should archive your permissions in your account.

I thinks that is because they are only allowed to provide movies in the cloud for a short time (since 2011 i think). Lot of complications when dealing with copyright holder, especially big corporations.

Its actually due to the movie distributor changing I believe. There are a few threads on here.

----------

I still have no idea how the iTunes + iCloud is supposed to work though. :cool:

Any purchase made through iTunes will be available to re-download on any device that your Apple ID is present.

Its pretty simple :)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
And Audiobooks?

Still waiting for Audiobook support... I use iTunes match on my iPad mini and don't have to store any music. I wish I could do the same with my Audiobooks purchased from iTunes. I would save several gigs, as I like to keep about 5 books on there at any time. I am thinking of buying books directly from Amazon/Audible so I can download from the cloud anytime, and then delete them from the device when I'm done. I DO NOT want to have to sync with iTunes. I want a true POST PC device. I just bought Unbound, which is a photo viewer that works with Dropbox. Now now more syncing my Aperture library with my mini. Yay.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
There is no way I would trust use their cloud or match services, I am ultra anal when it comes to managing my music library and I have heard too many horror stories of things going wrong. For movies and TV it makes more sense but the content situation is dire for my tastes so I will go on pirating! \o/

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Thank you Apple. We are happy about this in Sweden. Thank you.

One more thing, we would love to have real 1080p content and not misslabled 720p content that is sold as 1080p on the iTunes store. Could you please fix this misshap also?

nikomakhos

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Any purchase made through iTunes will be available to re-download on any device that your Apple ID is present.

Its pretty simple :)

But I still can't even re-download the music I've bought with the same device I used to buy it. Or maybe this is something that will come later here in Finland. Seems like a pretty basic feature for a digital marketplace.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
But I still can't even re-download the music I've bought with the same device I used to buy it. Or maybe this is something that will come later here in Finland. Seems like a pretty basic feature for a digital marketplace.

Mmm maybe. Can do this in the UK. Need to go into the iTunes app and go to "purchased" and download it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Frustrated.

Some of my (free/gifted) shows have completely vanished too. Until all content can be redownloaded as many times as I want, like Steam, I'm going to hold off from the iTunes store.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Wish they would get rid of the 25,000 song limit (or offer selective syncing). Amazon has a 250,000 limit but their web app is terrible. As currently implemented, iTunes Match is completely broken when your library hits 25,001 non iTunes tracks.

I'm at around 22,000, so I have some time....I'm hoping that they increase the limit...I believe they will within the year...not a bad idea putting an initial limit to determine how many Match users there are, and how much space they are demanding. So much of my library was not in theirs, so it took 4 days to match/upload (all my CDs were ripped in Apple Lossless, so the conversion before upload took awhile).

I'm happy with the iTunes match service...I stream my library and playlists from my phone without using up any of my precious space. It does use a little (cache), but turning match off then back on clears it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Frustrated.

What you have here is the problem of not really owning the content if you want to do what you are doing. Apple doesn't own this content, the studios own it. And they can stock or unstock the iTunes store as they wish. When the movie is available, you can stream it. When they take the movie out of the store, it's lost.

We don't own iTunes-purchased content at all (instead it's "lifetime license" at best). And if we don't download and store our purchases so that we have no dependency on iCloud, we can lose them at any time.

Buy the BD or DVD and actually own your media in a very full way. Rip it and store it in iTunes just like you ripped your CDs. This gets you almost all of the benefits & niceties of iTunes media management without the whims of the Studios or Apple affecting your perception of ownership. And instead of a "lifetime license" (where others get to decide what lifetime actually means), you actually own it such that you could sell it, will it, or give it away to someone else who could then fully own it too. If it's BD, you also get to decide the quality of the video (rather than the Studio or Apple deciding it for you) and can optionally enjoy a far superior audio track vs. 1992's Dolby Digital standard.

Yes, ripping is a hassle and storage has some cost but trusting a big corporation as caretaker of your media and that caretaker being entirely dependent on what their suppliers of that media want to provide- or take away- is begging for vanishing media and other anti-consumer surprises. iCloud is not the end-all, be-all answer... it's just one option. And a mentality of "stream everything from iCloud" is only music to the ears of those who sell (and increasingly pinch) bandwidth tiers... companies like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.

Last edited:

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I love the way Apple is positioning this as a new cloud service. All they really did is make your prior movie purchases available for download on all devices. These movies were already stored 'in the cloud', they're just making your purchase history available on all devices. It's a small configuration change, not a new cloud service.

What they really need to roll out next is an iTunes Match equivalent for video. I have plenty of video that I did not purchase from Apple (ripped DVDs, and tons of home movies). Right now the only way to access this content from my Apple TV and other iOS devices is via Home Sharing. I'm sure the bandwidth/storage requirements for something like this would be massive, and the demand probably isn't there yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.