Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1ddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
So,

We have been using Apple TV at work for a while. Works nicely for presentations etc. The problem we have is our guest wireless and our corporate wireless are obviously on different subnets/VLANS. The ATV's are currently running on the guest network so any employee that wants to use them have to get a guest wireless login. Not ideal!

Connecting the ATV's to the corporate wireless isn't really an option as then guests will never be able to use it. We also use certificates and 802.1X to auth clients, and I'm not sure thats possible with the ATV.

Is there a way I can get the ATV to be able to talk to both subnets at the same time?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
So,

We have been using Apple TV at work for a while. Works nicely for presentations etc. The problem we have is our guest wireless and our corporate wireless are obviously on different subnets/VLANS. The ATV's are currently running on the guest network so any employee that wants to use them have to get a guest wireless login. Not ideal!

Connecting the ATV's to the corporate wireless isn't really an option as then guests will never be able to use it. We also use certificates and 802.1X to auth clients, and I'm not sure thats possible with the ATV.

Is there a way I can get the ATV to be able to talk to both subnets at the same time?

What about running wired ethernet from the AppleTV to a multihomed router pointed to both VLAN's? That's the only thing I can think of, because AppleTV will not multihome by itself.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
There is a reason why the ATV is on the guest network. It uses protocols like upnp and multicast to detect devices and in a secure environment like your office network, that's definitely a no go. So it has to stay on the guest network.

Unless you can absolutely convince your IT engineer to do so, guess is its not going to happen.

m1ddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
I am the IT engineer :) Tne problem is, ATV / Airplay don't seem interested in each other at all unless they are on the same subnet. If only there was a way to point an airplay client to a specific IP?

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Nope it probably won't work. Only method left I can think of is try and import a VPN profile into the ATV using Apple Configurator and tunnel into your office network.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
The ATV is using Apples Bonjour. This won't go across the normal routing system. Typically will need to look at getting a Bonjour Proxy so that devices can become aware of the other devices on other networks.

As I understand it then you put the Bonjour Proxy on the network, and connect it into subnets / vlans that will find Bonjour Devices on.

How they typically work is

Proxy sits on network listening for Bonjour Advertisements. It then lets other networks that it see's Bonjour Advertisements about the other networks so can see the Bonjour Service.

Devices then connect across the normal routing infrastructure, and you don't have to advertise the multicast adverts through the normal routers. Traffic is not routed through the Bonjour proxy just makes the different subnets aware that an Apple Service available on another subnet.

Google for Bonjour Proxy and will get various hits. Various Vendors are making available Bonjour Proxy as is a growing concern.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So,

Could you just have two AppleTV's at each location and switch between them? One for Guests and one for Corp users? Not ideal either, but a click of a remote (either two a separate input on your display or to an HDMI switch) is easier than logging in and out of wifi.

m1ddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for the reply guys,

Can you connect an Apple TV to an SSID that requires certificates and 802.1x authentication?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.