Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I think there a lot of people who are kidding themselves over Google's prospects.

Self-driving cars? A nice idea, but still many, many years from widespread acceptance. And, when they DO show up - aren't they going to be made by Toyota, Honda and Ford?

Google Glass? Don't make me laugh. Who except the nerdiest tech-geek is going to walk around with them strapped to their head. Would you sit down to eat with someone wearing then, not knowing if and/or when they were going to turn on the little camera to record you chewing your marble-rye sandwich?

Chromebooks, etc.? Meh. There isn't much particularly interesting there.

Which leaves Google to sell precisely what at their Google Stores? Ad-Sense? Maps? GMail accounts? YouTube videos? All good enough - but not exactly the sort of product you can ring up on your MasterCard.

The fact that Google thinks it needs to copy Apple (by opening retail stores) tells yu which company is the true innovator - at least in the consumer products marketplace.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
So the pundit's main gripe against Apple is, "We don't know what Apple is doing in the future." Just because Google has shown its current lineup doesn't mean Apple is resting on its laurels. Apple is great at identifying what people don't yet realize they need. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can't see a future where everyone is wearing odd glasses that constantly feed them information.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I think there a lot of people who are kidding themselves over Google's prospects.

Self-driving cars? A nice idea, but still many, many years from widespread acceptance. And, when they DO show up - aren't they going to be made by Toyota, Honda and Ford?
Every infant technology is many years away from mainstream viability at some point (ex. HDTV was invented in the 60's). I doubt Google is going to make the actual cars and I doubt Toyota, Ford, etc., are going to build their own self-driving technology from the ground up.

Google Glass? Don't make me laugh.
I'm sure Apple's version will look much more hip. ;)

The fact that Google thinks it needs to copy Apple (by opening retail stores) tells yu which company is the true innovator - at least in the consumer products marketplace.
Gateway Country stores existed before Apple stores so I guess that means Apple isn't a "true innovator" either.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Every infant technology is many years away from mainstream viability at some point (ex. HDTV was invented in the 60's). I doubt Google is going to make the actual cars and I doubt Toyota, Ford, etc., are going to build their own self-driving technology from the ground up.

I'm sure Apple's version will look much more hip. ;)

Gateway Country stores existed before Apple stores so I guess that means Apple isn't a "true innovator" either.
Agree about the cars, however Apple glasses will be just as dumb as Google glasses for me at least. I'm pretty unhip though.

Stores? Meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.