Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

kindle_app_icon.jpg
Amazon yesterday released a minor 3.6.1 update to its Kindle app for iOS, but as noted by TUAW, the company is now warning users in the app description not to install the update.
What's New in Version 3.6.1

Note: There is a known issue with this update. If you are an existing Kindle for iOS user, we recommend you do not install this update at this time.
According to reports, the update is causing users' entire book libraries to be deleted from their devices. There is no word yet on when a fix can be expected to arrive in the App Store, but Amazon is undoubtedly rushing to fix the issue and Apple is likely to provide an expedited review in order to minimize the number of affected users.

Update 7:29 AM: AllThingsD reports that Amazon has issued a statement indicating that it has submitted a fix for the issue to Apple and is working to expedite its release.

Update 9:36 AM: Kindle for iOS has been updated to version 3.6.2, presumably addressing the issue with version 3.6.1. The new release notes do not, however, mention the issue.

Article Link: Amazon Warns Against Installing Latest Kindle App Update for iOS Due to Deleted Book Libraries [Update: Fix Live]

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Too late for me :(

Thank god I mainly stop reading at the end of a chapter. But still. That was a pain the butt to find out.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
good thing I saw the warning this morning before I tried to update. I think the biggest problem with apps is updating and finding that the new version has some serious problems and there's no way to go back to the previous version.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The one time my girlfriend told me something before MacRumors...

Actually, she might have mentioned Jobs was dead before MR...

peter.stegemann

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
The biggest flaw in Apples software distribution system: You can't just pull back a new version once it was released. Completely insane.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Too late for me too. But you can still re-download the books and, in my case, it still kept my bookmarks. So a minor pain but not a big deal. I actually needed to clear some books off my phone anyway.

LSK6453

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
I updated last night, but have not launched the app. I have a good deal of books in my kindle app that are .mobi which I am sure are gone now. :(

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Nice one Amazon!

Luckily for me, I updated all my apps on the weekend and missed this I think (I usually only update once a month or so).
This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the Amazon ecosystem.

Apple should support a "retract update" capability that would allow developers to instantly pull an update and revert to the previous version. This would be good for customers when developers royally screw up like this.

----------

I updated last night, but have not launched the app. I have a good deal of books in my kindle app that are .mobi which I am sure are gone now. :(

It seems possible -- very likely actually -- that the deletion occurs when you first launch. So try to avoid launching until the next update is available.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Nice one Amazon!

Luckily for me, I updated all my apps on the weekend and missed this I think (I usually only update once a month or so).
This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the Amazon ecosystem.

Apple should support a "retract update" capability that would allow developers to instantly pull an update and revert to the previous version. This would be good for customers when developers royally screw up like this.

Seems sensible on the surface, but wouldn't it lead to some developers skimping on the testing? I've seen lots of major apps with a 'Do not update!' panicky description. Perhaps getting publicly burned with no way back keeps them on their toes.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Wow, glad I don't use amazon for reading. I'm sorry but this is a HUGE cluster *uck on amazon's part. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I mean, all they had to do was launch it ONCE to see this happen. If it was apple their stock would be down 7% and all over the news media. I've lost all faith in media, especially blogger sites, in reporting ACTUAL news FAIRLY, but hey, what do I know I'm just an average joe.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
It wiped my library, except for the Project Gutenberg stuff I'd side loaded with iTunes file sharing. I was something like three quarters if the way through Game of Thrones, which is a massive file containing all 5 books, but it downloaded again in a few seconds and remembered where I'd left off. Huge sigh of relief! I don't understand why this wasn't picked up in testing.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
It wiped my library, except for the Project Gutenberg stuff I'd side loaded with iTunes file sharing. I was something like three quarters if the way through Game of Thrones, which is a massive file containing all 5 books, but it downloaded again in a few seconds and remembered where I'd left off. Huge sigh of relief! I don't understand why this wasn't picked up in testing.

Testing?
Take it from someone who has been in the software industry for over ten years.

SQA(Software Quality Assurance) has been dropped to the bottom level of most organizations. It's mostly offshore now as well.

nickersd

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
This has uncovered another bug, this time with the app store. I clicked on update for another app, and not "update all". It updated all anyway:eek: Guess I just won't open kindle until it gets the next update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.