Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
When I try to end calls now, about 60% of the time the end button doesn't respond when I press it. It is as if the screen has a dead spot. It is annoying because it makes it look like I'm just hanging on there waiting for them to hang up or listening to them which makes me look weird or handicapped! Have you experienced this?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When I try to end calls now, about 60% of the time the end button doesn't respond when I press it. It is as if the screen has a dead spot. It is annoying because it makes it look like I'm just hanging on there waiting for them to hang up or listening to them which makes me look weird or handicapped! Have you experienced this?

Seriously? Try cleaning your screen and check your reception, hopefully people won't judge you too much.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've had this happen once before on my 4S. I had to kill the app from the multitasking tray worked fine after that.

Try resetting your phone?

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I've had this happen once before on my 4S. I had to kill the app from the multitasking tray worked fine after that.

Try resetting your phone?

resetting or rebooting? I restored the phone when it got unlocked and the issue is still persisting :(.

EDIT: Just tried cleaning the screen and pressing "end" and it still didn't allow me to do so. Had to press the power button on the top again.

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Seriously? Try cleaning your screen and check your reception, hopefully people won't judge you too much.

What does my reception have to do with anything? And it's not due to a dirty screen, it's obviously a malfunction in the touch screen as it is consistently unresponsive in the same spot.

As for being judged, that is a perfectly reasonable concern....I think the same thing when someone doesn't hang up

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Are you jb, running a custom theme? I once had that problem and ended up the themes End button was the wrong size…

If not maybe instead of washing your phone you should clean your hands lol. Just playing:p

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
What does my reception have to do with anything? And it's not due to a dirty screen, it's obviously a malfunction in the touch screen as it is consistently unresponsive in the same spot.

Consistently? The "end" button is also occupied by the dock/bottom row of apps when not in a call. Can you still launch those apps? if so, then it's not the screen.

Have you also tried using a headset to see if you can end the call that way?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Consistently? The "end" button is also occupied by the dock/bottom row of apps when not in a call. Can you still launch those apps? if so, then it's not the screen.

Have you also tried using a headset to see if you can end the call that way?

Yeah my home row works fine, maybe it's not the touch sensors but it's definitely not because the "screen is dirty" like that poster above said.

I don't own a headset. I wonder what could cause the button not to respond several times?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah my home row works fine, maybe it's not the touch sensors but it's definitely not because the "screen is dirty" like that poster above said.

I don't own a headset. I wonder what could cause the button not to respond several times?

Sounds like a software glitch then. You tried a restore, and no go. It's a 4S, so it's under warranty. Is taking it in to Apple out of the question?

4Flynfish

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
End Button Fix

The fix was simple for my iPhone 5. The "End Call" button quit working last Friday evening. I updated the phone Saturday night. Problem still was occurring. I called Apple Support and a resolution was reached.

Backup phone to iTunes and then Erase All Content and Settings.

Then start using phone just like when you received it, without restoring from a backup. Again, do not restore from any backup.

Feel free to make a test phone call here to make you feel better about the time investment in syncing.

Go back to iTunes and sync with your apps, photos, music, etc.

This worked for my phone.

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
My "Answer" button is doing the same thing. So when my phone is awake and unlocked and a call comes through it takes a bunch of tries to answer. I will probably try the above fix later today.

angievelrocks

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Re: "End" button not working - YES YES YES

I've been experiencing this and it is RELENTLESS. My sister's iphone also does it. When I take it into the Mac store they claim that they've never heard of this before, as if I'm the only freaking person who has this going on. I'm switching back to android after having my iphone replaced 4 times and still being unable to use it for it's most basic purpose: phone calls.:mad:

----------

Moreover, I have reset it, powered it on and off, restored to old version, restored to new, and any other trick the genius bar had up their sleeve. They once gave me a new phone (well someone's old crap they made look like new) and i didn't connect it to icloud or anything. it was out of the box with ZERO of my stuff on it, not contacts, not pictures, nothing and went to my car which was about 50 feet away, made a phone call, and the dam thing did it again!!! Also, it's not just the end button. it's the end button, it's when i try to text, it's a variety of other very strange and glitchy things and NO I HAVE NOT DROPPED IT OR ANYTHING. These are problems I have with brand new phones they keep giving me. It's clearly Apple software and not the user. I'm looking for a new samsung galaxy and my coworker who has the III said the IV is coming out and that he's never had an unresponsive touch screen on his.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.