Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
It is annoying

My wife and I both did the update last night (on iPads and iPhones) and it was annoying, but not earth-shattering.

Basically all your e-books in the cloud are still there. But you have to re-download the ones you are reading to your device from the cloud (and other than "enhanced editions" of ebooks with built in videos, it takes no time to do so).

The worst thing is that I keep several "sample" e-books on my device, as I am still considering purchasing them. I lost all of the samples and had to rack my brain to remember those titles and then re-download the samples. Not sure why the cloud won't keep your samples.

Another thing is, the update changed the "friendly" name of your device, so instead of, for example, "Joe's iPad 3", it was called "4th ipad". So I had to go to the Amazon kindle webpage, delete the old reference to my iPad and change "4th ipad to my preferred friendly name. I had to do this for my wife's 2 Apple devices and my 2 Apple devices.

Also, the brightness was turned all the way up and instead of "sepia", it was on white background. So all of the setting you chose were gone.

So yeah, they really messed up on this one.

----------

Can't the books just be downloaded again? :confused::confused:

Yes, the issue is not even being reported correctly. The books you purchased are still there in the cloud. You just have to re-transfer to your device (which uusually takes little time). But if you open to device view, it shows NOTHING. Which probably freaked people out. Change to "cloud" view and everything is there.

You don't LOSE any books that you purchased.

You do have to re-enter your settings, etc. I don't think I lost the bookmark on the book I was reading at the time.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple should always keep the previous version of an app available to revert to in case there's problems with an update.

This would be TRIVIAL to implement. Why the hell don't they?

Also, keeping previous versions of an app available when the app obsoletes a class of devices would be good too. I know of people using iPhone 3G who have lost some apps because they can't install newer versions after their device was wiped.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Apple should always keep the previous version of an app available to revert to in case there's problems with an update.

This would be TRIVIAL to implement. Why the hell don't they?

Also, keeping previous versions of an app available when the app obsoletes a class of devices would be good too. I know of people using iPhone 3G who have lost some apps because they can't install newer versions after their device was wiped.

That's a great point and I would also like to see this implemented.

sunspot42

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Amazon Ecosystem

This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the Amazon ecosystem.

It shouldn't. I subscribed to their Cloud Player service. Big mistake. Streaming is unreliable - even over a wired internet connection, so the problem isn't bandwidth on MY end - and the iOS app is the biggest piece of junk imaginable.

Amazon just can't write software. I keep thinking their fork of Android represents a serious threat to Google, but the obvious incompetence of their developers makes me wonder if that threat will ever be realized...

NUR6

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
be careful to check version for 3.6.2

You sure it isn't the fixed version ?

It is 3.6.2. I had to double check since I thought I downloaded it and saw that it was available.

Did Apple pull the update before making the corrected version available?

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Correction. You don't lose any books from Amazon that you keep in their cloud.

I don't see any setting to to not have purchased books remain in the cloud (and why would you not)? Also, even if you did (or can) delete from the cloud for some reason, I believe you can go to your "manage your kindle" webpage and re-download that way.

It shows the history of all your purchases and gives you options to send to your devices.

So I think it is not possible to entirely lose your purchased books.

roboclint

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Downloaded 3.6.2 to my iPhone, everything seems to be working fine.

Still haven't updated at all to my iPad since that's the one I actually use for reading.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I don't always look at the notes but fortunately I did this morning and did not update. Glad to hear that Amazon fixed the issue quickly. :)

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Amazing and insanely moronic that a bug this huge could be present in an update. Over 2GB of books gone. Yes, they can be reclaimed but not all of us have fast enough connections that this is not a multi-hour time suck.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
The biggest flaw in Apples software distribution system: You can't just pull back a new version once it was released. Completely insane.

True, although Amazon shares blame for what is clearly a sloppy release with a glaring and significant bug. :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Testing?
Take it from someone who has been in the software industry for over ten years.

SQA(Software Quality Assurance) has been dropped to the bottom level of most organizations. It's mostly offshore now as well.

I used to work in the software industry and you're absolutely right - the QA has been outsourced or their numbers cut down below the bone so they do not have the resources or time to do as much testing as needed. This always results in "updates" that break things and get customers upset.

In the case of Amazon you can re-download all of your books, but how long will this take? Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made. Fortunately for me, I don't use bookmarks or notes and I didn't do the update.

Amazon reports they have fixed the problem, but if you had already updated to the 3.6.1 (the bad one) and run it, you still will have lost all of your stuff.

I'm going to wait a few days or more to make sure nothing else is broken.

If there are any apps you really use a lot it makes sense to update them only when the updates have been out for several days and no one has screamed bloody code.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Too late for me :(

Thank god I mainly stop reading at the end of a chapter. But still. That was a pain the butt to find out.

same here...Lost ALOT of books. but got'em backed up on Dropbox, so I just gotta transfer 'em over back to kindle...but I did loose my spots in my various e-books....ah well...

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Every OS has that. Lets be honest here.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure that if the latest Firefox update horribly breaks something for me, I'm perfectly capable of downgrading to whatever version I want (and, in fact, installing whatever version whenever I want), either from a saved old download or Mozilla's site itself, since they keep everything there.

With iOS alone, there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you add in iTunes on Windows or Mac, you have a bit of control, but it involves manually finding and saving IPA files, which is both cumbersome and completely unsupported.

It would be nice if Apple made the most recent previous version available for this reason, and it would also be nice if they saved (for a period of time during which the developer was willing to support it, at least) old versions of apps when newer ones require a jump in hardware or iOS version. For example, there isn't much you can find for a first-gen iPod touch anymore, but lots of old apps work fine on it--just hope you don't have to do a restore, or you won't be able to find them anymore!

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that if the latest Firefox update horribly breaks something for me, I'm perfectly capable of downgrading to whatever version I want (and, in fact, installing whatever version whenever I want), either from a saved old download or Mozilla's site itself, since they keep everything there.

With iOS alone, there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you add in iTunes on Windows or Mac, you have a bit of control, but it involves manually finding and saving IPA files, which is both cumbersome and completely unsupported.

It would be nice if Apple made the most recent previous version available for this reason, and it would also be nice if they saved (for a period of time during which the developer was willing to support it, at least) old versions of apps when newer ones require a jump in hardware or iOS version. For example, there isn't much you can find for a first-gen iPod touch anymore, but lots of old apps work fine on it--just hope you don't have to do a restore, or you won't be able to find them anymore!

Thats a web browser not an OS, same thing happens with Android and Win8 Phones when you update an app. Thats what I was referring to.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
In the case of Amazon you can re-download all of your books, but how long will this take? Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made. Fortunately for me, I don't use bookmarks or notes and I didn't do the update.

Repeat, did not lose notes or bookmarks.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Testing?
Take it from someone who has been in the software industry for over ten years.

SQA(Software Quality Assurance) has been dropped to the bottom level of most organizations. It's mostly offshore now as well.

That... and factor in language barrier, time zone difference with small overlaps and testers that flood bug systems so much with duplicates, bad descriptions, etc that engineers and managers can't really notice real bugs.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Well while updating my apps on my iPhone, I saw this notice. Maybe I should change my habit of reading the update notes after I have pressed "Update all" :p
Although it doesn´t look like anything happened, maybe because I didn´t open the app.

Well it wouldn´t matter either way, as I spend most of my reading time on my Galaxy Tab 7.0 or on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.