Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I just got my first iPod with the intention of loading it with audiobooks that I could listen to while working the treadmill at the gym. Everything worked fine until I got to the gym. Even when cranked to its max volume I couldn't hear the book because of the noise of the machines. Is there some way to increase the max volume?

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
So you're trying to do this without headphones now?

Umm why?

I'm using earplugs, which I figured would be sufficient. But they ain't. Guess I'll have to either spring for headphones or go back to my old MP3, which works fine with plugs. Don't know why there's such a difference.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I've used the apple ear buds on treadmills and other noisy environments and found them to have plenty of volume. Some after-market buds have laouder sound. Suggest buying some from some place that has a return policy so you can take them back if they don't have sufficient volume.

Have you tried other content on the iPod like music? It may be that the book you're trying to hear ha low volume.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Considering how expensive they are, my initial response was to first try to find a way to boost the volume. I may have to bite the bullet.

Right click on the audiobook in itunes, choose "get info", then go to options, boost the volume slider to 100%. It won't actually boost it 100% but there will be a noticeable difference. I also change the audio type to spoken word, but my hearing as odd so I'm not sure that will help.

Best of luck!

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
It is true that Apple-issue earbuds let in a lot of external noise. Even at max volume, riding the subway makes it hard to actually hear the music. Prefer earplugs whenever possible, or better yet, headphones. And yes, it is a bit of a shame that Apple doesn't include better insulating earphones with their audio devices.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It is true that Apple-issue earbuds let in a lot of external noise. Even at max volume, riding the subway makes it hard to actually hear the music. Prefer earplugs whenever possible, or better yet, headphones. And yes, it is a bit of a shame that Apple doesn't include better insulating earphones with their audio devices.

If I remember correctly part of the design of the new earpods was to intentionally not block out all sounds so that the user wasn't oblivious to the world surrounding them.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
If I remember correctly part of the design of the new earpods was to intentionally not block out all sounds so that the user wasn't oblivious to the world surrounding them.

Thanks, guys. Apparently the iPod volume level is set for music, not audiobooks which require a greater max volume. I am unable to find how to increase the volume level. What puzzles me is I can hear the book fine on an MP3 without approaching the max volume level. But i can't hear it on the iPod even at max volume.

if I find a solution, I'll post it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Thanks, guys. Apparently the iPod volume level is set for music, not audiobooks which require a greater max volume. I am unable to find how to increase the volume level. What puzzles me is I can hear the book fine on an MP3 without approaching the max volume level. But i can't hear it on the iPod even at max volume.

if I find a solution, I'll post it.

You need to click on the tracks you are listening to (in iTunes), choose get info, choose the options tab, and change both the volume cap and the audio type to spoken word.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
You need to click on the tracks you are listening to (in iTunes), choose get info, choose the options tab, and change both the volume cap and the audio type to spoken word.

I can't access those options; they are grayed out

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
This is utterly stupid. Most of us live in an environment so noisy that even average-isolation earpods still allow for a sufficient external noise to come in.

Where external noise is actually needed is for the phone function: too much isolation makes your ear conduit "echo" your own voice when talking, which is especially tiring. There's a reason why Plantronics headsets used in call centers are not closed design. But there's no need to talk to an iPod.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I can't access those options; they are grayed out

Are you selecting the individual tracks of the book, or just the book itself?

And you're not choosing the ones already on the ipod right? You have to change the copy thats in your itunes library then resync it to the device.

----------

This is utterly stupid. Most of us live in an environment so noisy that even average-isolation earpods still allow for a sufficient external noise to come in..

The idea is you're not supposed to be one of those plugged in kids that doesn't pay the world any attention.

I'm pretty sure Apple got sued overseas a few years ago because their players allowed music loud enough to block out any traffic noise and a pedestrian sued (like a jackass). That's why in a particular country there is a lower cap on the volume then firmware for other countries. I wish I could remember enough about it to get the article. :eek:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
The idea is you're not supposed to be one of those plugged in kids that doesn't pay the world any attention.

I'm pretty sure Apple got sued overseas a few years ago because their players allowed music loud enough to block out any traffic noise and a pedestrian sued (like a jackass). That's why in a particular country there is a lower cap on the volume then firmware for other countries. I wish I could remember enough about it to get the article. :eek:
These kids don't need an i-device not to pay attention. Back when the iPod wasn't in existence and cell phones needed a deep front pocket to be transported and were a novelty, they didn't accuse the Discman of distracting them.

I wonder what kind of earplugs or headphones they used to actually block traffic noise. I would buy them in a flinch! They surely aren't Apple's stock ones.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I'm using earplugs, which I figured would be sufficient. But they ain't. Guess I'll have to either spring for headphones or go back to my old MP3, which works fine with plugs. Don't know why there's such a difference.

The ONLY solution is a pair of eaphone that seal properly you can get a pretty good pair for $15 like the discontinued phillips SHE9550.

I walk to the shops by a busy road and it is only a pair of earphones that seal properly that make it possible.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Are you selecting the individual tracks of the book, or just the book itself?

And you're not choosing the ones already on the ipod right? You have to change the copy thats in your itunes library then resync it to the device.

----------

Ah hah. I went first to the iPod. Let me try the iTunes library and see how that works out.

----------

The ONLY solution is a pair of eaphone that seal properly you can get a pretty good pair for $15 like the discontinued phillips SHE9550.

I walk to the shops by a busy road and it is only a pair of earphones that seal properly that make it possible.

Where do you find the discontinued headphones. I've checked a couple of outlets and the prices are around $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.