Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I'm now thinking of this route, especially as I have a hi-res 23" monitor I could use short term. It's going to be 3 or more weeks before I can get a 27" iMac, so I'm interested in how you get on.

Yeh I will let you guys know. The mini has now shipped and the latest estimated shipping date is the 22nd of November. Atleast you have a decent monitor you can use. Im using a crusty old dell monitor you find in offices all over the country!

JohnDory

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
£1700 quid. Sounds pricey for something that will aesthetically look poor on your desk. (3rd party bits and bobs, retro Asus screen)

You need to spec up a £1700 iMac and compare it side by side to make a real argument. You may be right, but I'd need to see the specs and benchmarks from two £1700 machines side by side to really know for sure.

I like the asus eeepc, but that monitor looks like cheep crap.

A TB monitor is the only real comparison. But then, with 49 (say) Watt speakers, the TB monitor actually out-specs even the 27' imac, which some genius told me has two 13 (respectable) Watt. Your Asus has 2 (I heard you) Watt.

The TB monitor also acts as a hub for USB and TB. A patient man could even buy the mini now, and wait for the new TB monitor to be released in 2013 around the time as the SUPER PRO!!!

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Yesterday I did the unthinkable. I bought a fully henched out mac mini server the highest spec you can buy. I think that now the mac mini represents more value than the imac. Especially for my purposes anyways.

I bought 2.6ghz , 4 gb ram upgrade myself obviously, dual solid snakes 512gb total. I did so for these reasons:

1)
I only need a fast computer for music production and audio. I don't play games or edit video or do photo shop. So HD4000 graphics is fine with me. From what I hear it's ok anyways.

2.)
Cash Money. Doing this I think will save me possibly as much as a grand. With audio fast hard drives is a must. I don't even want to waste my money on a fusion because the main part of it is 5400 rpm and when you have a fairly full HD who knows what speeds my samples will play back at. Apple priced me out with the 768 gb only option which could cost as much as a thousand pounds UK. The same price (Nearly as a fully specced mac mini). SSD is the way of the future and im jumping on now. I still get 500 gb of ssd and could always boost that externally If I wanted to match the up and coming imac 768 ssd at far less cost.

3.) SSD = Less noise, less heat (less fans) = better for recording.

4.) Audio in and out and fw800 is also fairly useful for audio.

5.)
2.6 ghz Quad i7 turbo with hyperthreading is prob at least equal (maybe even a tiny margin better?) than the standard i5 desktop cpu's 2.9 ghz cpu. Buying the decent 3.4 ghz i7 processor is a 200 quid bump to the 3.2 i5 (still not that great and again I don't need better graphics) and then another 160 (atleast) to bump me to the i7. F that. I've watched mac pro retina (same 2.6ghz processor) vids on YT were the dude was rendering stuff playing videos and going on the internet at great speeds so I think it will do me just fine.

6.) I CAN'T FOOKIN WAIT ANY LONGER - I heard that Imacs may be delayed till 2013. F that for a load of old bollocks. Ive waited most of this year. Done.

7.)
New Imac still unknown quantity. Screen problems who the F knows. I know a few people have had prob with mini's but still format is pretty much the same as 2011 but now with better specs.

8.) Extended return period. If for some reason It doesn't work out with the mini I have till Jan to return it. Then I could buy a 27 iMac. No risk then. But I think it should be fine because...

9.) The mac mini fully specced with SSD is pulling 13 G's geekbench. Compare that to my 2009 imac scoring 3 G's and thats quite a increase. It even kills the last year top spec 3.4 ghz quad imac which score 11 G's. Pretty sporty eh?

10.)
Putting my apples (eggs) into different baskets. - When you spend 3 grand on a nice Imac yes you get the best everything in one machine. But what happens after the 3 year warranty? The 1000 pound ssd is worth way less because SSD prices went down so to sell it would hurt. To keep it? Well if the motherboard/ screen goes you have a huge (yet I must admit, very handsome slim paper weight). F that. I spent 1200 pounds for this mini. With Ed discount. Mini's are the best of all macs for holding their value (I read in forum could be BS). So maybe in 2-3 Years I sell on for 800 and buy the latest and greatest mini. Only 400 spent for it's usage. Sounds good eh?

11.) But what about that really nice screen? Well I can buy a super nice (thin for all those thin momo's) Hi Res 27 Panel. I buy it once and hopefully it lasts atleast 5-7 years or more. Same resolution 2560 x 1440 as the new one. Way less glare than the current Imac. Here's what I was thinking its got great reviews and looks amazing on youtube: -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-043-AS

Maybe not as nice as the new Imac 27 but fairly close.

12.)
Portable. Not something i had thought of before, but if I want to take the computer away to a friends or I move county or house its easy to atleast take my computer with me and find a random HD tv for hook up. Sporty.

13.) More user accessible than Imac. If I need to change Ram (for you 21 imacs out there) or improve the ssd space later on; I could without too much difficulty. Try pulling the glue off the new imac screen. I wouldn't.

14.)
I already have the peripherals. I like my old school plugged in keyboard. I have a 3rd party wireless mouse. I even have an old dell monitor for the trial. I can't be bothered with wireless keyboard because it has no usb ports like my current one and needs batteries. F that also.

15) New imac is not all in one anymore. Both need optical drives. Yes I still need one. (Software, Dvd's, demos for audio etc).

In my mind I am spending a total of 1700 quid with monitor. Mini was 1250 ish with Education discount. I didn't have to spend so much on spec or monitor. I could get a high end imac for that money I know. But still the High End mac has a i5 processor and slow ancient tech spinny drive. In 3 years I keep my monitor and spec up the computer bits if I want. Plus I am selling my old imac for 500 pounds. Same price as new monitor. So Im only down 1200 ish.

I realize that some people may want graphics. But for those who don't the mini has overtaken the Imac in terms of value for me. Nice monitors and peripherals don't cost that much money anymore.

I hope I have swayed all you audio guys and maybe even some of you 21 inch Imac guys into my mac mini web ive just spun.

For the others I hope you find your high end 27 worth the wait. It has been a brutally long one. Not trolling when I say that!

I like the Mac mini because I can buy it for $799 and add the drives myself, saving me the $600 apple Charges for dual 256 SSD on the $999 server, thus actually saving myself more.

You can get a 256 SSD for $130 after MIR, so $260 total. Then you have to get the kit from OWC to add the 2nd drive, for $40 bucks, making it $300 total.

Total savings for a DIY dual 256 SSD install: $500 bucks.

Personally though I'd rather go with a 1TB + 256 SSD setup because the extra space is critical for me as a DJ to have a larger music library, plus my iphoto library is over 100 gigs. If you're recording to WAV form though you may need that 512 gigs of SSD space... You definitely don't want to record and encode from WAV files on traditional based storage LOL

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I like the asus eeepc, but that monitor looks like cheep crap.

A TB monitor is the only real comparison. But then, with 49 (say) Watt speakers, the TB monitor actually out-specs even the 27' imac, which some genius told me has two 13 (respectable) Watt. Your Asus has 2 (I heard you) Watt.

The TB monitor also acts as a hub for USB and TB. A patient man could even buy the mini now, and wait for the new TB monitor to be released in 2013 around the time as the SUPER PRO!!!

I hear you man BUT... I think you are suffering from Apple Aluminiumitis. The bezel itself is plastic yes so doesn't look as expensive as an imac or thunderbolt but the core components are indeed what I will be really looking at with this monitor. (ie The screen) The actual screen itself is actually a samsung panel. Even apple don't make their own actual panels. Thunderbolt would be an option but THE GLARE IS HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Its actually so awful completely ruins the screen for my puposes. I have huge windows in my room and the glare could only be useful if a Ninja was creeping up behind me to stab me n the neck with a death star. I would see him coming a mile off. I don't really care about the dual 3 watt asus speakers because I have massive monitors a amp that delivers 200 Watts per channel and a subwoofer bigger than your head if I want extra sound. Not to mention Audio engineer grade cans. Because when Im in the room I bring the Boom! I would only use the asus speakers to watch you tube clips on and such. Maybe a movie or internet tv. I think you will find that he Asus monitor would maybe out perform the new Imac its a very highly regarded gaming PLS monitor.

----------

I like the Mac mini because I can buy it for $799 and add the drives myself, saving me the $600 apple Charges for dual 256 SSD on the $999 server, thus actually saving myself more.

You can get a 256 SSD for $130 after MIR, so $260 total. Then you have to get the kit from OWC to add the 2nd drive, for $40 bucks, making it $300 total.

Total savings for a DIY dual 256 SSD install: $500 bucks.

Personally though I'd rather go with a 1TB + 256 SSD setup because the extra space is critical for me as a DJ to have a larger music library, plus my iphoto library is over 100 gigs. If you're recording to WAV form though you may need that 512 gigs of SSD space... You definitely don't want to record and encode from WAV files on traditional based storage LOL

Well I no longer live in the United Snakes so I can't get your cheap US prices any longer. I am happy enough for apple to but this in. I don't want to Faff with kits and pulling it apart. I would still have to buy a solid state anyways and the pricing with ed discount works out similiar if I put my own in after the fact. I don't record huge files in Wav. I used to DJ with serrato and I have many 320 mp3's, which can live on storage. Its really more like snippets and samples. Most of which can adequately stored on HD until I use them in a project in which case I can put into working folders. So Pas de problem.

JohnDory

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
I hear you man BUT... I think you are suffering from Apple Aluminiumitis. The bezel itself is plastic yes so doesn't look as expensive as an imac or thunderbolt but the core components are indeed what I will be really looking at with this monitor. (ie The screen) The actual screen itself is actually a samsung panel. Even apple don't make their own actual panels. Thunderbolt would be an option but THE GLARE IS HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Its actually so awful completely ruins the screen for my puposes. I have huge windows in my room and the glare could only be useful if a Ninja was creeping up behind me to stab me n the neck with a death star. I would see him coming a mile off. I don't really care about the dual 3 watt asus speakers because I have massive monitors a amp that delivers 200 Watts per channel and a subwoofer bigger than your head if I want extra sound. Not to mention Audio engineer grade cans. Because when Im in the room I bring the Boom! I would only use the asus speakers to watch you tube clips on and such. Maybe a movie or internet tv. I think you will find that he Asus monitor would maybe out perform the new Imac its a very highly regarded gaming PLS monitor.

Manufacturers do not only skimp on external plastics. Cheap is cheap through and through, and apple is apple. I wish it weren't so.

I do agree with you about the glare, but the next model will fix this, maybe even Retina!

I#m a bit concerned about the limitation of hard drive that you could dyi into a mini? The video makes dyi a bit risky to do on a new machine, but in years to come, a big ssd would prolong usage. Why is there no 3tb fusion option? Why only 16 MB ram (has 32 been tested?)? Now that they can create own fusion drives, has anyone configured a 3Tb HD with 756Gb SSD on a mini?

The mini is awesomely versatile. My 2006 fella will soon retire to the lounge room for internet, recording satellite and watching dvds. I wouldn't sell it for the world.

BUT, my ideal mini with TB monitor (next year version) would come in around $2250. For just a few hundred more in December, there will be a much faster iMac, which is more fun now, and will probably last an extra 1-2 years on the mini. There's value in that too.

Pie Chips Salad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Manufacturers do not only skimp on external plastics. Cheap is cheap through and through, and apple is apple. I wish it weren't so.

I do agree with you about the glare, but the next model will fix this, maybe even Retina!

I#m a bit concerned about the limitation of hard drive that you could dyi into a mini? The video makes dyi a bit risky to do on a new machine, but in years to come, a big ssd would prolong usage. Why is there no 3tb fusion option? Why only 16 MB ram (has 32 been tested?)? Now that they can create own fusion drives, has anyone configured a 3Tb HD with 756Gb SSD on a mini?

The mini is awesomely versatile. My 2006 fella will soon retire to the lounge room for internet, recording satellite and watching dvds. I wouldn't sell it for the world.

BUT, my ideal mini with TB monitor (next year version) would come in around $2250. For just a few hundred more in December, there will be a much faster iMac, which is more fun now, and will probably last an extra 1-2 years on the mini. There's value in that too.[/QUOTE

I think that the aluminium gives the illusion that it is more expensive to a degree. I don't think that the components are any different to industry standard. We know for a fact that imacs have been riddled with screen issues. They are not the be all and end all in monitors. The monitor im looking at is close to a thousand bucks and has five star customer reviews everywhere I look. As Ive said apple don't actually make their own screens. I don't think that apple is a always assured quality. I recently got my mac mini I set the hard drives to raid 0 and couldn't for the life of me reinstall the software. No cd instal discs included these days absolute stupidity. Took me 8 hours of phone support then realized I was never going to win and sent it back for a replacement. So another week of waiting and lets see if this computer works for my purposes.

Like you i'd be interested in Next years thunderbolt. However I need to know that I can use it with other platforms such as a pc. I heard that the thunderbolt display was mac only? I want to be able to move in the future if I wish. I also find the cost and wait time for this display a no go for me.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway

Like you i'd be interested in Next years thunderbolt. However I need to know that I can use it with other platforms such as a pc. I heard that the thunderbolt display was mac only? I want to be able to move in the future if I wish. I also find the cost and wait time for this display a no go for me.

Seems that it works fine on PC
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5829/a-first-look-at-thunderbolt-on-windows-with-msis-z77agd80/2

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
For Audio guys like the OP, the Mac mini is great.

I'm helping a friend who is a professional musician (4 live gigs a week plus studio session gigs).

He currently has an old PPC G5 set-up running MOTU DP.
The G5 only has two internal drive bays same as the Mac mini.

We're going to set him up with the $799 i7 Mac mini. We plan on installing a 256GB SSD, most likely a Samsung 830. Also will upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16.

The 1TB internal drive will hold all the software instruments and 100s of gigs of samples like BFD and Kontact ( which is 7-9 DVDs of data).

HDMI and Thunderbolt ports will drive 2 22" LCDs recently upgraded from 2x20" CRTs.

We haven't decided if we should record current sessions on the internal 1TB drive or an external USB3 drive or some 2-4 drive RAID.

Since this is a recording studio computer, faster graphics isn't an issue. He's already tracked/recorded 9 albums on the old system which still works fine.

He prefers to spend his money on mics, preamps, EQs, Neve, API, Focusrite rather than computers. So we're looking for the most bang for the buck.

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
2012 Mac Mini Experience in Music Production

I think the OP is right up my alley. 2013 is here, and Im very weary of this 1st Gen rMBP. I'm currently on a Hackintosh equivalent of a maxed-out 2011 iMac (3.4GHz) with 32GB RAM. I'm hoping that my only loss in getting the Macmini is the extra 16GB RAM...I can ease off loading those large "just in case" instruments.

2012 iMac is tempting as I dabble in 3D animation a bit Cinema 4D, but thats rendered via CPU. I'll likely get the 2nd Gen rMBP ~Q4 2013.

My question to the OP (and others in the same boat):

1) How intense are you music projects (plugins/fx)

2) Have you tried to stress test your DAW?

3) I use VE Pro (crucial for me)...any experience with that?

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
It´s very sad that for musicians the only quick option to get a Mac is to compromise and get a freaking Mac Mini.

Really Apple? Really?

Of course for smaller projects it´s enough, but many of us want more power and Apple just fails to give us that.

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
Of course for smaller projects it´s enough, but many of us want more power and Apple just fails to give us that.

Whoa I wouldn't go that far now. The reason I built a Hackintosh was because I coincidentally built a special-purpose PC that had the right motherboard and GPU. Otherwise I would have purchased an iMac. My only true advantage at the time was having 512 SSDs and freon cooling system for my CPU.

Apple's Mac Pro and iMac are capable, but not portable. They did seem to create another scandal with the rMBP, but we should already know 1st generation beta routine. I just don't want to be paid-tester this time.

Yes, I'm "settling" with a Mac Mini to wean off my Hackintosh until the rMBP is reiterated (hopefully with 32GB ram), but it can always be converted to home server and CPU rendering rig.

OSX has been the most stable for my demanding work, and I enjoy the bootcamp option for some applications built heavily on Borland Delphi (which will never see a native Mac transition in my lifetime.).

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I went from Hackintosh world to a maxed out 2011 Mini, which I love. I put in an OWC 6G 256SSD, and a 500GB 7200 HDD. 16GB of ram, and it is one of the best computers I have ever owned. It's now running W7 and on my desktop next to my L2012 iMac so I can have side by side OSs. If you pimp out a mini, it's gonna be a lot of computer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It´s very sad that for musicians the only quick option to get a Mac is to compromise and get a freaking Mac Mini."

The Mini is much less of "a compromise" than it seems.

It may lack the higher-end graphics processing that the iMacs have, but if you don't absolutely require that, it does very well.

If one doesn't require a separate GPU for games (I don't own a video game, never have, never will), and doesn't use apps that benefit from the presence of a dedicated GPU, the Mini is more than adequate. Indeed, it's pretty snappy.

Additional benefits:
- no image retention
- no backlight problems
- no yellow screen problems
…. as numerous buyers of the 2012 iMac are reporting, right here in this forum.

Minis also have a very good record insofar as overall long-term reliability goes. And if you ever have to change out a hard drive, getting inside is _MUCH_ easier than on an iMac, particularly the 2012 models.

Actually, the Mini is the best value available in the Mac lineup now.
Real "bang for the buck".

A "compromise"?
Hardly…

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
"It´s very sad that for musicians the only quick option to get a Mac is to compromise and get a freaking Mac Mini."

The Mini is much less of "a compromise" than it seems.

It may lack the higher-end graphics processing that the iMacs have, but if you don't absolutely require that, it does very well.

If one doesn't require a separate GPU for games (I don't own a video game, never have, never will), and doesn't use apps that benefit from the presence of a dedicated GPU, the Mini is more than adequate. Indeed, it's pretty snappy.

Additional benefits:
- no image retention
- no backlight problems
- no yellow screen problems
…. as numerous buyers of the 2012 iMac are reporting, right here in this forum.

Minis also have a very good record insofar as overall long-term reliability goes. And if you ever have to change out a hard drive, getting inside is _MUCH_ easier than on an iMac, particularly the 2012 models.

Actually, the Mini is the best value available in the Mac lineup now.
Real "bang for the buck".

A "compromise"?
Hardly…

Mac Mini is probably great for those who don´t need power, but those who do it´s a compromise. Depends on what you are doing. But these days the DAWs and VSTis need a lot RAM and CPU power. If you are using Mac Mini for music, you can kiss multiple instances of VSTis and plugins goodbye.

iMac would definitely be more powerful, but it comes with it´s own problems and you have to wait for it forever.

Mac Pro is the best for those who crave for power, but getting one now or the past year would be stupid. It´s so dated and overpriced now and has been for a year at least. And who knows when it´s coming.

Bad times for professionals who need power for their work (if Windows is not an option).

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
If you are using Mac Mini for music, you can kiss multiple instances of VSTis and plugins goodbye.

I disagree. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro on a Hackintosh (i7 @3.4GHz) equivalent to Late-2012 iMac and easily run 64 channels of VST/AU instruments...and I use the top-notch demanding plugs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHFLHosD-Y

Your CPU efficiency really comes down to strategy and understanding how usage works. In a condensed nutshell, you're DAW's cpu limit is NOT your CPU's actual limit. VE Pro as shown in the video demonstrates this.

To make the mini perform in the same manner, using external SSDs (FW , TB, or USB3) for sound libraries and VE Pro for plugin hosting substantially enhances efficiency. But hey Im just a computer major with only 10 years of computer music experience. Anyway I'll be pulling the trigger on the mini TODAY, because I can't get over the growing complaints of even the refreshed 2013 rMBP:confused:. Definitely waiting for 2nd Gen at the least.

UPDATE: So I went to the Apple Store and walked out with both 15" Retina (maxed out) and the high end Mac Mini. I've been trying to reproduce some of the rMBP lag I saw in youtube videos, no luck. This thing is a beast. It gets hot though! But I know its because the heat is actually dissipating as it should. Must see what happens when I get all my music and video software loaded. I will be rendering audio to SDXC and video to external thunderbolt and USB3. Will inspect various points of the 14 day grace period.

Last edited:

macnylonguitar

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
2012 Ivy Bridge Mac Mini: best value in dollars per max benchmarks

I am glad I found this particular discussion on Macrumors, have been wanting to share my thoughts on the Mac Mini and its place in Apple’s lineup.

I will say this: that currently, even the 2012 Ivy bridge Mac Mini, still represents the best value in a Mac in terms of dollars spent per max benchmarks achieved.

Like many fellow Mac enthusiasts, I too have become a big fan of the Mac Mini. What’s not to like: small footprint, quiet, fast, modify-able.

I am similarly concerned, that if Apple stays true to form, the next Haswell Mac Mini, is going to suffer the same fate as the MBP and iMac: sealed and totally non-modify-able. If so, really a total shame.

Being a long time Apple engineer, having worked at Apple HQ in Cupertino, and a musician / audio guy, I was setting out to look for the best value in a Mac (for audio / music, apple engineering , etc).

When I say value, I mean: dollars spent per max benchmarks achieved, and for me this begins with a 4 core chip (8 threads), minimum. (Sorry MBP 13”).

The new Haswell rMBP’s while very nice, are still pricey, $2000 bucks for the entry level 15”.

I love the 13” MPB footprint, but the performance?

Here’s what is ridiculous with the MBP 13”: After several years, still no 4 core chip (8 threads) option.

This seems to have been done purposely by Apple, and continues to be the case even in the new Haswell rMBP 13”, Apple’s obvious strategy to force users looking for top benchmark performance in a MBP, to have to go to the 15” MBP, which is at least a $700 increase.

Grab a Mac Mini 2012 Ivy Bridge (have seen a refurbed 2.3 GHz model for $679), and get to modifying.

- 16 GB RAM (Crucial, Kingston, etc.)
- Samsung 840 Pro SSD
- OWC Kit that allows the second drive

I actually did this mod for one of my business clients, when the Ivy B Mac Mini was just released in late 2012.

8-16 GB RAM, and a Samsung 840 SSD. (It was a server version, so it did not “need” the kit. PS, don’t ever buy the “server” version, just get the “non-server” version and get the OWC kit for the second drive).

Geekbench = close to 12,000 GB benchmarks. Not too shabby.

Here it is a year later, and I am sure on the cusp of a Haswell Mac Mini release (or not, you never know with Apple, could be May 2014 for all we know), and the Ivy Bridge 2012 Mac Mini may still represent the best value in a Mac in terms of dollars spent per max benchmarks achieved.

Refurbished Mac Mini, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro, Kit, and Asus 27” LED monitor = @ $1300, not bad. $700 cheaper than the entry rMBP Haswell 15”.

Obviously if you are a gamer, or someone who needs the graphics performance, the graphics performance on the new Haswell rMBPs is light years ahead of the Intel HD 4000.

For those looking for pure CPU multithreaded performance benchmarks, (read audio / music guys), even the current Ivy Bridge Mac Mini, with it’s modifiable nature is a good choice, since in all likelihood, the next Mac Mini most likely will not offer this.

Last edited:

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I owned the 2012 i7 mac mini with SSD and 16G ram as an audio machine for pro tools for a year. I am now the happy owner of the 2013 i7 3.5 imac. I will ABSOLUTELY agree the mini is the best bang for the buck mac and may be a great audio solution for many!!!

BUT --------- No way I would go back!

1) CPU temp and fan noise - under load. Put a 30% constant load on your mini. Yep - 95degC CPU and full speed fan. Imac - CPU temps will be ~65degC - fans at 1200rpm.

2) Put 16 tracks into record mode at 96kHz and 64buffer on your mini. Ooops - choke - error - wild CPU spiking. Now do that on the 3.5 imac. smooth - 10% overall load - no issues. Speed! 3.5GHz base non turbo speed = 40% faster than 2.6GHz. And the $1999 3.4 i5 is 80% as good at audio as the i7!

3) Though you can certainly put less $$ systems together my Mini + SSD + Thunderbolt monitor + RAM cost just $200 less than my 2013 imac :)...

macnylonguitar

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Great points pro power,

Have not had the opportunity to test the Haswell based machines real world, no doubt this is what you are seeing, obviously more efficient processors, requiring less power, and run much cooler, and quieter (very important).

16 tracks, 10% load, that's impressive.

I am thinking of eventually getting a UA Apollo, 2 ms latency, all processing on the unit, that would lessen the burden on the Mac even more.

You may have just made the case for me for getting a rMBP 15" Haswell.

If the real world performance (especially for audio) is that powerful and efficient, may just have to do that.

Looks like when it comes to audio, it seems these newer Haswell chips are that much better.

regards,

macnylonguitar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.