Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
There was an update for ayecon tonight. Maybe if it addresses the issue?

Yes it's possible. I couldn't say for sure though. I don't use Winterboard or any themes. I'll see if I can find out if the update fixes the problem. I highly doubt it does though because other themes are causing it too so it's probably a winterboard/mobile substrate issue. But in the world of jailbreaking, you just never know! Haha

Westside24

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
So glad I found this thread... I was starting to think I was the only one on the planet having this issue. Just wanted to add my experience so far & any information I can. There is 0 doubt in my head at this point that the issue stems from the Mobilesubstrate update that was released with the Winterboard update. I started having issues immediately on an iPhone 5 running 6.1 at the time (Running 6.1.2 now) on AT&T. I had 0 issues whatsoever before that update. I had just got my iPhone 5 & was thrilled with how well everything was running. I literally had 0 crashes. The update immediately made my home button slow to respond, the slider slow, scrolling slow, app crashes, especially Settings & Cydia, etc. Steps I have taken since then include:

1. Disabling all themes, helped a little, but not much.
2. Downgrading Winterboard, did not help.
3. Downgrading Mobilesubstrate, did not help.
4. Deleting Winterboard, immediately solved the problem. Though I am pretty convinced the issue is Mobilesubstrate's interaction with it.
5. Numerous full restores, reset all settings, restore from backup. Never solved the problem. Probably did no less than 5 of these.
6. Finally copied all my relevant app data & did a clean install without a restore from backup & was convinced this was the massive pain in the butt that would solve the problem. In some ways it did. Response time is back to normal. Settings & Cydia rarely crash, but lots of iOS apps do. Facebook, Instagram, Flipboard, Podcasts, etc. Once an app starts crashing it will not stop without a restart.

So, this is where I sit. Literally countless hours of trying to solve this problem. So, here is hoping this issue gets solved sometime soon. At the moment my only course of action is removing Winterboard which does solve the problem. I'm trying a downgrade of Mobilesubstrate, Winterboard, & Safesubstrate right now on my fresh install to see if it helps. It didn't previously!

Here is a syslog of a Facebook crash: http://pastie.org/6338798

Update: Downgrading didn't help!

Last edited:

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting this weekend. After reading Saurik's post on reddit (referenced in this thread), I decided to chance it and downgrade Mobile Substrate 0.9.4001 to version 0.9.3999.6. Success! My phone now is able to run ProCamera and Winterboard at the same time. I'll continue testing but so far so good. I'm now leaning towards Mobile Substrate as the cause and not Winterboard. Winterboard just exasperated the problem by gobbling up RAM.

Oh yeah, yesterday I traded a few Emails with Lance Fetters (FolderEnhancer author). I had set my FE to default settings, and turned off the icon caching. It had helped so I asked Lance about it. Lance looked at my syslog and found this error:

Application 'UIKitApplication:net.daemgen.ProCamera[0xc6cb]' quit with
signal 9: Killed: 9

Lance pointed out this error is message is generated when the system quits an application due to low memory. I know I titled this thread "Apps crashing", but it turns out that it's more accurate to say "Apps forced to close or exit" -- which is entirely different and might have a different root cause.

Update: I just realized with the downgraded Mobile Substrate, Winterboard sounds don't seem to work. Oh well. Phone is stable at least.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting this weekend. After reading Saurik's post on reddit (referenced in this thread), I decided to chance it and downgrade Mobile Substrate 0.9.4001 to version 0.9.3999.6. Success! My phone now is able to run ProCamera and Winterboard at the same time. I'll continue testing but so far so good. I'm now leaning towards Mobile Substrate as the cause and not Winterboard. Winterboard just exasperated the problem by gobbling up RAM.

Oh yeah, yesterday I traded a few Emails with Lance Fetters (FolderEnhancer author). I had set my FE to default settings, and turned off the icon caching. It had helped so I asked Lance about it. Lance looked at my syslog and found this error:

Lance pointed out this error is message is generated when the system quits an application due to low memory. I know I titled this thread "Apps crashing", but it turns out that it's more accurate to say "Apps forced to close or exit" -- which is entirely different and might have a different root cause.

Update: I just realized with the downgraded Mobile Substrate, Winterboard sounds don't seem to work. Oh well. Phone is stable at least.

How do you downgrade mobile substrate? I have been having this problem for the past few days (most notably, Facebook constantly crashing, then killing the state of all recent apps). I thought it was just the Facebook app itself, until I randomly came across this thread. It sounds like your solution has solved the issue, so I'd like to try it as well :D

For reference, I don't have any icons themed. The only items I have enabled in WinterBoard are the following:

• TyopClockBuilder - allows custom lock screens created in ClockBuilder
  • Noisy Elegance NC - a Notification Center theme
  • NR's SignalBars (iOS 5) - changes the signal bars, of course
  • Wifi Black & White - changes the WiFi bars
  • ML Dock - changes the dock
  • Waved StatusBar - a nice status bar theme which I modified to remove the "wave"

Beyond that, I am also using Zeppelin, ColorKeyboard, Barrel, and Springtomize.

I have not tried any troubleshooting yet (as I honestly never considered it to be a WinterBoard problem), but while I wait for your response, I will try disabling each themed item and see if any of them fix the problem.

Thanks for this thread! Hopefully I can stop being so annoyed with my FB app now, haha!

UPDATE: Well, after disabling each of those WinterBoard theme items one by one, FB still crashes every time. Even with nothing at all enabled. So hopefully your solution works for me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Great post! Thanks for sharing. Very informative. Keep us posted please.

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
How do you downgrade mobile substrate?

The way I downgraded Mobile Substrate was this:

1. Downloaded mobilesubstrate_0.9.3999.6_iphoneos-arm.deb from Saurik's Repository @ http://apt.saurik.com/debs/ (the one dated 04-Feb-2013 04:44).
2. Copied the file to my iPhone using DiskAid (http://www.digidna.net/diskaid; good program btw) in the /var/Mobile/Documents directory.
3. Re-sprang to Safe Mode using SBSettings (no way was I going to downgrade with it active).
4. Used iFile to Install.
5. After the installation finished, returned from iFile to the home screen, held down the power button, and manually powered down the phone. I suspect that MS hooks into things so low, that I wanted to make sure it loaded right from scratch.
6. Powered up my phone and crossed my fingers.
7. Sigh of relief. Whew! It worked!

If you do downgrade, make sure to have a good backup. I had thought it just as likely that I'd end up in a re-spring loop and have to restore. But...I was willing since I just had upgraded to iOS 6.1.2 and had a good backup and notes. Glad I did. My custom sound in Winterboard doesn't work (only thing I use it for) but I don't care so long as my phone stays stable.

Note 1: Somewhere along the installs, Substrate Safe Mode 0.9.3999.6 was installed. Since this is the exact version number of MS, I just left it alone.
Note 2: You can delete the mobilesubstrate_0.9.3999.6_iphoneos-arm.deb file from /var/mobile/Documents after you're done. I initially forgot to do this too.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I had the same issue I mentioned in the other forum thread. However, have not experienced it since restoring/updating to 6.1.2 (for a non-related reason). Interesting that I had the same words with friends crash that wouldn't go away until I uninstalled it, rebooted and reinstalled it. But on the new restore I haven't experienced it yet (fingers crossed). Apps are staying in memory and I haven't noticed anything disappearing on me like before. I'm not sure what has really changed but here is my list.

Apps I don't have anymore after restoring:

Barrel
CallBar
Facebook Photo Library integration
Instagram Image saver
Safari Download Manager
SwipeNav
Switchy
Auxo
Unfold

In Winterboard I have the following:

Ayecon (all enabled)
Signal dots
A Beautiful dock
Invisible tap 2 unlock ios5
Invisible grabber
No lockbars
Ls transparent
Sb d0ink

Apps I have now:

%hook's law - 1.0.1-1
2x2 Folder Icons - 1.0-1
4x3 Dense iPhone 5 Layout for Iconoclasm - 1.0
4x4 Dense Layout for Iconoclasm - 1.0
5x3 Layouts for Iconoclasm - 1.2.1
7-zip (POSIX) - 4.57-3p
Activator - 1.7.4
AppInfo - 1.5
AppList - 1.5.3
APR (/usr/lib) - 1.3.3-2
APT 0.7 (apt-key) - 0.7.25.3-3
APT 0.7 Strict (lib) - 0.7.25.3-10p
ayecon - 1.3.2
ayeconother - 1.3.2
ayeconspringboard - 1.3.2-1
ayeconwallpaper - 1.3.2
Base Structure - 1-4
BigBoss Icon Set - 1.0
biteSMS - 7.4.9
Bitethafly Pro - 1.1
BlurriedNCBackground - 3.0-1
Bolt - 0.6
Bourne-Again SHell - 4.0.17-13
BytaFont - 1.6
bzip2 - 1.0.5-7
Color Keyboard - 1.3.0-1
Core Utilities (/bin) - 8.12-7p
CustomWidgetIcons - 1.1
Cydia Installer - 1.1.8
Cydia Translations - 1.1.0
Darwin Tools - 1-4
Debian Packager - 1.14.25-9
Debian Utilities - 3.3.3ubuntu1-1p
Diff Utilities - 2.8.1-6
diskdev-cmds - 421.7-4
Double At - 1.0
evasi0n 6.0-6.1.2 Untether - 0.4-1
f.lux - 0.985
Fast Copy - 1.0
Find Utilities - 4.2.33-6
FolderEnhancer - 1.9.6-1
Geo Sans Light Font - 2.2
GmailSender - 1.0-1
GNU Privacy Guard - 1.4.8-4
Grooveshark - 2.6.6
Grooveshark Enhancer (for 2.6.6) - 2.6.6-1
gzip - 1.3.12-6
Iconoclasm - 1.8.1
IconSupport - 1.8.1-1
iFile - 1.9.1-1
Infinidock - 2.0.3-1
Instahancer - 1.2-1
IntelliScreenX (iOS 6 Library) - 6.01.06
IntelliScreenX 6 - 6.01.06
Invisible Grabber 5.1+ - 1.2
Invisible Tap 2 Unlock iOS 5 - 1.5
iOS Firmware - 6.1.2
iPhone Firmware (/sbin) - 0-1
Jaku - 1.4.9.3
Jukebox - 1.5.1
LayerSnapshotter - 1.0
libhide - 2.3
libstatusbar - 0.9.6.1-6
Lockscreen Clock Hide - 2.0.0.1
LZMA Utils - 4.32.7-4
Mobile Substrate - 0.9.4001
My3G - 5.4.6
NCSettings - 1.6.2
New Curses - 5.7-12
No Lock Bars - 1.2
OpenNotifier - 1.1.3
OpenNotifier Premium Pack - 1.2.1
OpenSSL - 0.9.8k-9
Pages 4x3/5x3 Layouts for Iconoclasm - 1.0
PAM (Apple) - 32.1-3
PAM Modules - 36.1-4
PandoraSkip - 0.0.1-13
pcre - 8.30-5p
pincrush - 0.9.2-1
PreferenceLoader - 2.2.0-1
Profile Directory - 0-2
readline - 6.0-7
Repo Icons - 4:4.7
ResetAllKiller - 1.0.0-3
RespringCacheFix - 0.2
shell-cmds - 118-6
Signal Dots [HD Grey] - 1.0x
Sleipnizer for Safari - 3.1-3
SlyCam for NotificationCenter - 1.0.0-2
Software Update Killer - 1.0.2
Source GUI - 1.0
SpotLock - 0.4
Springtomize 2 - iOS 5 & 6 - 1.4.4-1
Springtomize2-Icons - 1.0-1
Springtomize2-Localizations - 1.0.1
StatusBarCustomClock4 - 0.4-1
SwipeSelection - 1.2-3
symbolicate - 1.1.0-1
system-cmds - 433.4-12
Tape Archive - 1.19-8
UIKit Tools - 1.1.7
unrar - 3.6.8-2p
unzip - 5.52-5p
WeeLoader - 1.2-1
WeePreferenceLoader - 1.0-1
WinterBoard - 0.9.3910
Zephyr - 1.6.4-1
zip - 2.32-5p

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Uninstalled Winterboard and things are working properly again. Hope Saurik narrows down the WB or Substrate bug that causes this.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
If i disable my theme with winterboard still installed the problem vanishes. With it enabled it kills off processes at will keeping only one or two in suspend. It really likes to kill safari the fastest.

Update:

I was wrong! With winterboard still installed but all themes disabled my apps still get booted. The only way to get back to normal was to delete winterboard!

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
Uninstalled Winterboard and things are working properly again. Hope Saurik narrows down the WB or Substrate bug that causes this.

Same here! Sucks as I love the theme Ayecon. I deleted and re-installed and it's not "as bad", but it's still crashing my apps.

With Winterboard uninstalled, no issues with any apps crashing.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Update:

I was wrong! With winterboard still installed but all themes disabled my apps still get booted. The only way to get back to normal was to delete winterboard!

I'm going to just try to disable winterboard to see if I can get things to act accordingly

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Anyone know if there has been any progress tracking down this bug? I'm thinking I might just (reluctantly) uninstall winterboard until it is sorted out.

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I Email'd Saurik (regarding my Mobile Substrate downgrade) a few days ago. No reply but I don't realistically expect one as the guy is probably swamped.

On a positive note, the downgrade of Mobile Substrate has been good. Not perfect mind you...but good. I am still getting unexplained App exits now and then but not like before. I'm sure if I didn't downgrade MS, my phone wouldn't be able to work with all the tweaks I currently have loaded (for example: FolderEnhancer with Icon Cache Images ON would hose my Springboard; with the older MS, I have Icon Cache ON no problem). I also still have WinterBoard load so I consider that somewhat of a victory.

Lately I chanced installing BossPaper (with Transparent wallpaper for Winterboard so dimming works), added a iPhone Dialer theme (ClearDroid i5 Dialer), and updated a two Cydia apps, so any "unexplained" App exits might be self-inflicted.

Ultimately, I might uninstall WinterBoard again as an experiment to gain (hopefully) additional stability. I believe the latest WinterBoard was released near the time Mobile Substrate 0.9.4000 & 0.9.4001 were released. But if I do that, I loose my Dialer theme, and possibly BossPaper (which might be slightly incompatible anyway).

Decisions. Decisions.

xxxhackaxxx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hey guys, i didnt read the whole thread cause its long and im at work, but i read the other day that Facebook isnt working well with the new iOS, saying its not Apples fault (or jailbreak) but its the Facebook app itself. Forget where I came across this, might be worth looking into.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I Email'd Saurik (regarding my Mobile Substrate downgrade) a few days ago. No reply but I don't realistically expect one as the guy is probably swamped.

On a positive note, the downgrade of Mobile Substrate has been good. Not perfect mind you...but good. I am still getting unexplained App exits now and then but not like before. I'm sure if I didn't downgrade MS, my phone wouldn't be able to work with all the tweaks I currently have loaded (for example: FolderEnhancer with Icon Cache Images ON would hose my Springboard; with the older MS, I have Icon Cache ON no problem). I also still have WinterBoard load so I consider that somewhat of a victory.

Lately I chanced installing BossPaper (with Transparent wallpaper for Winterboard so dimming works), added a iPhone Dialer theme (ClearDroid i5 Dialer), and updated a two Cydia apps, so any "unexplained" App exits might be self-inflicted.

Ultimately, I might uninstall WinterBoard again as an experiment to gain (hopefully) additional stability. I believe the latest WinterBoard was released near the time Mobile Substrate 0.9.4000 & 0.9.4001 were released. But if I do that, I loose my Dialer theme, and possibly BossPaper (which might be slightly incompatible anyway).

Decisions. Decisions.

Were you having problems on the newest MS version even without winterboard installed? Or did you even test that way?

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Were you having problems on the newest MS version even without winterboard installed? Or did you even test that way?

When I started this thread, I was using MS 0.9.4001 with WinterBoard. Removing WinterBoard initially solved many App exists.

Now I have MS 0.9.3999.6 and WinterBoard installed. Initially, everything was working great but now I'm seeing a few App exits daily (unfortunately, nothing consistent so hard to test). But like I said in my prior post, it might be because I installed some tweaks recently.

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
When I started this thread, I was using MS 0.9.4001 with WinterBoard. Removing WinterBoard initially solved many App exists.

Now I have MS 0.9.3999.6 and WinterBoard installed. Initially, everything was working great but now I'm seeing a few App exits daily (unfortunately, nothing consistent so hard to test). But like I said in my prior post, it might be because I installed some tweaks recently.

Nope...you are 100% correct. Like I said, it was better with a removal and re-install of Winterboard, but apps have continued to crash and not coming back until I re-spring. Facebook is the worst, but others as well.

Removing Winterboard from mobile substrate has stopped all app crashing.

Now I don't know if it's the Ayecon theme or WB, but either removing all together or simply disabling in SBSettings, apps don't crash when WB is not active.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Now I don't know if it's the Ayecon theme or WB, but either removing all together or simply disabling in SBSettings, apps don't crash when WB is not active.

Pretty sure it's not Ayecon but WB, I get crashes using the Jaku theme.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, I uninstalled winterboard and my phone is backgrounding apps as it should and battery seems to be lasting longer. Hope it gets straightened out soon.

JSingr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I restored mine and only added pkgbackup, sbsettings, winterboard with infrared theme and had the same issue. It feels like a memory issue. It works for a bit then constant crashing. respring, reboot would fix it again for a little bit, but sbsettings showed I had plenty of memory left.

Turning off the winterboard substrate fixed the issue. Hope an update comes out soon.

restlessheartss

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
New York
I've been having the same issue! (and thought it was winterboard) I used my crash reporter and found out that it was iconoclasm at least for me. When I unistalled it my springboard stopped crashing.

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Apps crashing - WinterBoard is cause?

Iconoclasm 1.8.1 crashes for me under certain conditions:

1. Using with a layout that has less icons than is in the screen.
2. Activating while referencing a layout that isn't there.

I Emailed the Dev (weeks back). He responded almost immediately. He was out of country but should be back early March, and will look at the problem(s) when he gets back.

Even given the issues, I am using Iconoclasm as it's the best as what it does (like being able to shift icons around with a 1-pixel resolution; layouts look great with FolderEnhancer!). If you do use Iconoclasm, I recommend the excellent Iconoclasm Layout Maker (written by a different author named Nolan) available for free through Cydia.

Last edited:

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Looks like there is an update to Winterboard that just came put that is supposed to fix this issue. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362194004.816980.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.