Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Also the engine is based on Unreal 3.

Firaxis needs to just have an in house team for cross platform. Every game they release seems to eventually come out on Mac. They need to just do a cross platform release.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Is this a joke? Valve is a privately held company that is making around 400 million a year off of steam. How would it magically go out of business?

Yeah. Kind of like how Enron is huge and successful and couldn't possibly implode overnight. Or how Lehman Brothers is too big to fail. Right? I mean, those companies were rolling in billions of dollars. Half a billion was peanuts to them.

Alternatively, consider the not-so-instant failure: THQ. Aren't you glad you didn't buy games on a THQ owned DRM system? THQ was around for years, and granted it was doing bad for a while, but how does that help you? If Valve started going downhill 2 years from now, and you could see it suffering and languishing and figured it would probably go bankrupt within 3-5 years...how will that warning allow you to un-DRM your 200 games in your library? They're still stuck there and would die with the company.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Not to mention that it might be "free" for those who already purchased the Windows version on Steam. Any info on that yet?

If it does come to Steam I expect it'll be a seperate purchase like Black Ops.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Hmm, why does not being on Steam make you not interested? I mean, I use Steam, but it's really just a convenience.

I bet steam sales have something to do with it...

Oh, and there's a chance that you'll get to "buy once, play everywhere". I got Civ 4 and 5, for example, which I can now play on Mac or Windows with only one purchase. Same with Assassins Creed 2 and quite a few other games.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
If this were on the Mac App store, I would consider it but I pretty much don't deal with games that aren't on Steam.

Why wouldn't it be on the Mac App Store? All of Feral's other games are released there. Personally, I'd rather not deal with having Steam running and the Steam DRM, so I only buy games on Steam if A) they aren't available elsewhere or B) they have a really good sale. Although I have found that a lot of Mac games bought on Steam are not actually tied to Steam, so I can just make an alias after finding them in Library/Application Support/Steam and launch them normally. (They can be moved entirely, but then they can't be updated properly, hence the alias.)

--Eric

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Convenience and idiot-proofness.

I have games on Steam that I bought OVER ten years ago, before Steam was even a thing. I can download those to any computer that I own or have access to and play any time I want. I don't have to worry about keeping copies in case the company goes out of business or they decide to no longer maintain their content servers. I don't have to worry about keeping activation keys, etc.

With Steam, I can install a game, play it for three days, delete the game when I need the space two weeks later, then eight months later, when I have a hankering to play some video games (on a new machine no less), I can load up my Steam library and play that game.

If this were on the Mac App store, I would consider it but I pretty much don't deal with games that aren't on Steam.

Ever tried to sell one of those games when you're done with it?

parnas

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Yeah, Valve basically prints money. They also don't need to answer to shareholders, so they tend to have extremely consumer-friendly policies.

Absolutely no refunds, no "price matching", game sharing is prohibited and they can lock you out of your WHOLE library for any reasons.

And also their customer service is very slow. Few days to get a reply slow. So, once again, they can lock you out and then you will have to wait few days for a reply from a customer service.

I like Steam, but definitely not because of their customer-unfriendly policies.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Absolutely no refunds, no "price matching", game sharing is prohibited and they can lock you out of your WHOLE library for any reasons.

And also their customer service is very slow. Few days to get a reply slow. So, once again, they can lock you out and then you will have to wait few days for a reply from a customer service.

I like Steam, but definitely not because of their customer-unfriendly policies.

Well if you like to do illegal stuff and don't know how to keep your digital life in order then I guess you might have a problem. I've personally never needed to contact Steam support about anything, and I've bought a looooot of games on the platform.

Rocketpilot

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
What does the Windows version support that the Mac version won't?

You said "Basecamp" - did you mean Bootcamp or something else? I have XCOM EU for the PC but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I didn't know Macs let you patch the BIOS (didn't even know they had a BIOS).

Boot Camp, yeah. Man, there's a rookie mistake. Sorry.

No, no bios, hence my irritation with the universe.

parnas

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Well if you like to do illegal stuff and don't know how to keep your digital life in order then I guess you might have a problem. I've personally never needed to contact Steam support about anything, and I've bought a looooot of games on the platform.

Only people that do illegal things might want a refund? Only people that do illegal things might want a price match? Only people that do illegal things might want to let their relatives to play one of games they have purchased?

And only people that do illegal things want speedy replies from the customer support?

As for the Steam disabling accounts. That happened back when I "only" had 100+ games there (I have 300 now). For some reason they have suspected that my account got hacked (nothing happened with it, nothing was purchased, and, as you may guess from where we are - no viruses) and my login got disabled.

By itself its annoying, but understandable - it's both for your and Steam protection. But then I had to wait three days for a customer representative reply describing me how to prove that account is indeed mine. And then I had to wait a day more for them to validate my documents.

To make matter worse, game that I had just purchased then was Steam only. So I couldn't play it as well. Of course I could create another account to be able to play while Steam was resolving my issue, but I wouldn't be able to move that game to my main account later because, I guess, only people that do illegal things could want to merge accounts.

Anyway, do you have any examples of
they tend to have extremely consumer-friendly policies

Especially since you
personally never needed to contact Steam support about anything

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Anyway, do you have any examples of

Especially since you

Sure. Everything they do, pretty much. Their entire business is based on actually providing value to their customers rather than attempting to rip them off without them realizing it. Valve essentially saved PC gaming from becoming a piracy-laden wasteland by making it more convenient to simply buy games legally. They release massive, free updates years after their own original games have shipped. They continue to improve upon the functionality of their service with every major update. They have the best friends system (especially for jumping into games) and fully support user-made content creation. Even if said content is free and doesn't benefit them. They have incredible sales multiple times per year which lets their users grab games at a great value. They develop native OS X ports of all of their original titles, which are released day-and-date with the PC versions. They make certain decisions that aren't always the best financially, because it's in the best interest of their users to do so and they don't have shareholders to answer to (case in point: free Dota 2 with all heroes unlocked).

So yeah, they keep their support light to keep their costs down. I'm cool with that. It's big-boy rules, basically. You probably did something silly to have your account locked up like that (you mentioned account sharing earlier). I appreciate the added protection of stuff like that and have never had any issues.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right

Game sharing in the traditional sense is prohibited.

OTOH, if you pick up multiple licenses through bundle packs, you can give them away (I have given away extra game licences right here on MacRumors.) I've given away plenty of guest passes, too.

As for refunds, why do you need one?

I've had responses within hours when I've had issues.

----------

Ever tried to sell one of those games when you're done with it?

Nope. In 25+ years of gaming, never sold a game.

parnas

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Sure. Everything they do, pretty much. Their entire business is based on actually providing value to their customers rather than attempting to rip them off without them realizing it. Valve essentially saved PC gaming from becoming a piracy-laden wasteland by making it more convenient to simply buy games legally. They release massive, free updates years after their own original games have shipped. They continue to improve upon the functionality of their service with every major update. They have the best friends system (especially for jumping into games) and fully support user-made content creation. Even if said content is free and doesn't benefit them. They have incredible sales multiple times per year which lets their users grab games at a great value. They develop native OS X ports of all of their original titles, which are released day-and-date with the PC versions. They make certain decisions that aren't always the best financially, because it's in the best interest of their users to do so and they don't have shareholders to answer to (case in point: free Dota 2 with all heroes unlocked).

So yeah, they keep their support light to keep their costs down. I'm cool with that. It's big-boy rules, basically. You probably did something silly to have your account locked up like that (you mentioned account sharing earlier). I appreciate the added protection of stuff like that and have never had any issues.

Have anyone argued with you that Steam provides bad value or that Valve is not a nice company? Once again, I have 300 games there.

I have argued with one and only thing: "extremely consumer-friendly policies".

Good selection? Check. Good prices? Check. Incredible support for their games? Check. Good consumer policies and support? Nope.

Oh, and also - it really is not productive to say things like: "and have never had any issues" ("There is no cancer, because I never had any"). I never had any issues too before I had one (and I'm using Steam from the beginning: starting from the Half-Life 2 collectors edition - the very first Steam release).

----------

As for refunds, why do you need one?

Well, I have bought a game and then three days later it went on a 66% off sale. Price match is not possible. Refund (to buy again for the lower price) is not possible.

I'm not complaining too much really. But App Store would give you a refund, most likely. App Store is worse than Steam (selection, prices, features and interface), but customer support is much better.

Nope. In 25+ years of gaming, never sold a game.

Where do you keep all the boxes? :)

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Well, I have bought a game and then three days later it went on a 66% off sale. Price match is not possible. Refund (to buy again for the lower price) is not possible.

Well, given their sales model, which is very strict on what's a given price for a given period of time, I can't blame them too much for it.

Where do you keep all the boxes? :)

Given them away, lost them, have them sitting in storage, so on. I think I tried the whole GameStop thing a couple times, but I get pissed at their offer and just leave.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I have this game on Steam already. I would like to see it just suddenly pop up as available for Mac installation in MacSteam. That would make me pretty happy.

At any rate, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic game. You have to like this kind of game, though. It's fun, it's tactical, and it's got a great and spooky mood.

jeffbax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Steam is so much better than the Mac App Store.

I could honestly care less about a Mac & PC copy, but when Feral releases games on the MAS, the only way you can play multiplayer with your friends is with GameRanger - which no PC gamers will ever want to bother with when Steam manages things so much more effectively.

Steam is the computer gaming hub. Its prices and selection are way better than the Mac App store, and it doesn't restrict you to ****** multiplayer support which is segregated almost explicitly based on whether a game is in the MAS or not.

Borderlands 2 for Mac Steam can play with PC players. Borderlands 2 for Mac App Store cannot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.