Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
I am trying to discover which router I am using.

I have a Siemens Modem/Router supplied by my ISP, however some time ago I installed a Time Capsule, and I was under the impression that it's router had made the Siemens router redundant.

How can I tell which router is being used. If I click on Time Capsule in Airport Utility and go to Network, the Router Mode is shown as OFF (Bridge Mode).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thank you kot I wondered if it was as simple as that, or if it referred to the Siemens.

My next question is , how do I enable the Time Capsule router, and stop using the Siemens.

Depends. Does the main router do things for a ISP phone or anything along that line?

Plus remember if you are replace ANY router just behind the ISP modem first TURN OFF the ISP modem for at least 3 minutes. This will cause the ISP server to look for a new MAC Address of the device connected to the modem.

Lastly in Apple Device in Airport Utility turn on "Bridged Mode" to turn off NAT in the Apple Device when it is behind another router.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Thank you kot I wondered if it was as simple as that, or if it referred to the Siemens.

My next question is , how do I enable the Time Capsule router, and stop using the Siemens.

How are you connected to the ISP? Physically and logically.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am trying to discover which router I am using.

I have a Siemens Modem/Router supplied by my ISP, however some time ago I installed a Time Capsule, and I was under the impression that it's router had made the Siemens router redundant.

How can I tell which router is being used. If I click on Time Capsule in Airport Utility and go to Network, the Router Mode is shown as OFF (Bridge Mode).

You are in effect "using" both in that you are connected to the TC, which is in turn connected to the Siemens device. Although with the TC in bridge mode the traffic is just passed through to the Siemens where DHCP/NAT is being handled.

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
How are you connected to the ISP? Physically and logically.

My Siemens Modem/ Router is connected to the telephone socket, and is also connected by Ethernet to my Time Capsule. That's all I can tell you, I do have all the settings, but don't really understand them too well.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
My Siemens Modem/ Router is connected to the telephone socket, and is also connected by Ethernet to my Time Capsule. That's all I can tell you, I do have all the settings, but don't really understand them too well.

Then you can't do without your Siemens because of the part highlighted. Seems like your Siemens modem is exactly that -- a DSL modem. It is also called a CSU/DSU device (Channel Service Unit/Data Service Unit). It converts digital signals from your Ethernet home network to digital signals suitable for putting on your telco's local loop, which is the copper phone cable going from your premises to the central office of your service provider. TC cannot connect to telephone sockets and lacks DSL connectivity, that's why you are using a Siemens modem in the first place.

You can put your Siemens into bridge mode and offload all routing to your TC, which to me seems like a right thing to do. Let them do what they do best. Set up the WAN connection on your TC and put your Siemens into transparent bridge mode, so that it does not do any routing and only acts as a dumb Ethernet/DSL converter.

Last edited:

BoxerBoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
England
You can put your Siemens into bridge mode and offload all routing to your TC, which to me seems like a right thing to do. Let them do what they do best. Set up the WAN connection on your TC and put your Siemens into transparent bridge mode, so that it does not do any routing and only acts as a dumb Ethernet/DSL converter.

Thank you kot, that is the set up I thought I had achieved when I installed the TC.

Obviously not, It's good to know that I can set it up like that, I shall give it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.