Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I wish they would go back to the 3.5 inch screen and dump the 4 inch. Anyone else wish for the smaller screen?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Interesting, I tried the Samsung SIII, it was nice, just not as good for me as the IP5, but then decided to try the Note II, it works much better than SIII, however this is too large for me.

I gave my son my IP5, thought I was going to stick with the Note II, now that I decided to return to the iPhone, I am stuck with his 4S and man, this is hard to get used to 3.5" after using a 5.5 for a week.

I might have to use an upgrade and get an IP5, just will not do this to my son and force him to give me my 5 back.

So my answer is NO Way, wish the next one was going to be 4.5 or 4.7, do not wish for anything larger now that I know what 4.8 and 5.5 feel like, just a tad too big for me.

I can not image what will happen with the Samsung Note II, rumors have it going to 6.3" or 6.5" that is just crazy

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I was really hoping for a 3.2 inch screen, that is the real sweet spot. In fact on second thought you can do anything with 3 inches you can with 3.2.

it should be small enough to sit in your palm and you can text but people cant really see the phone, a "palm phone" excuse the pun, not from "palm" but in your palm, 2.8 inches, oh ok maybe even 2.5 inch 320 X 460 screen wow, that would be heaven.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
After moving to the iPhone 5 I can clearly say: NO

Same here. I didn't think that the 4" screen would grow on me, but surely it did. If I HAD to go back to the 3.5" if something happened to my i5, I certainly could. But it wouldn't be the same.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yes it should be 3.5" or larger than 4". Either go big or don't go big at all!!!

The iPhone 5 has a very akward display and I went back to my 4S. We don't want a longer iPhone, just a wider one.

I had no problem using the S3 with one hand. I don't get why people have to wine and wine about one handed operation.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I would say hell no. You can always stock up on older iPhones and keep them handy if you need 3.5" screen so badly, but Apple is lacking in the screen size, PPI and quality game. You can say retina all you want but others offer bigger, better and sharper screens than Apple does and they are losing the competitive edge.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I love the 4-inch. Not only can I see more texts/tweets/everything at a time, but it makes Netflix and movies so much more usable for me. It's way more immersive to watch a tv show/movie that takes up the whole 16:9 screen without the black bars.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I think a 4" screen on sa phone the size of the 4/4S would be nice. That'd also mean getting rid of the huge bezels...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I find the 3.5" way too small now. I picked up my buddies iPhone 4 and the screen was small and the phone seem way heavier than the 5.

xak

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Are you kidding? Does the OP have any reasoning?

I want my screen to be as large as possible without sacrificing the ergonomics too much. The 4" is larger than the 3.5" while still maintaining similar ergonomics.

If they can make the iPhone 6's screen even larger and still make it comfortable for one handed use, I'd be stoked.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I came back to iPhone from the Nexus 4 specifically because the screen on the Nexus was too big. I have issues that made one-handed use essentially impossible, which is not an issue for me. The width of the iPhone is perfect as far as I am concerned.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I wish they would go back to the 3.5 inch screen and dump the 4 inch. Anyone else wish for the smaller screen?

Nah wrong direction

4.8" is the perfect size for a phone, small enough to use one handed, yet big enough to enjoy gaming and videos more.

5.5" is too big for some, but i can adjust to that size. Especially considering that the note 2 is the best phone out at the moment

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Apple needs to stop catering to females and men with small hands. 4.7 is an ideal size. As said before there are bigger and better displays out there and Apple has fallen behind as far as this goes. I have and iPhone 5 and feel absolutely no reason for one handed use.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
One handed use is a necessity now a days.

Here are some prime examples, when responding to a text while driving its very hard to use both hands so thats one case, also texting while walking and holding a cup of coffee is very hard with two hands.

I am sure there are other times when you just cant use that second hand but I cant think of them now, plus the two I gave are the main reasons and should be enough to make every tech company out there only supply 3.5 inch or smaller phones I mean how can you text and drive with the galaxy note 2, you cant, case closed, iPhone wins for texting and driving, point apple.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I just wish for a smaller more pocketable and easier to use phone. The Iphone 5 isn't bad but I hope they never go beyond the 4 inch screen. It will probably be a while before they adopt anything bigger then the 4 inch anyway.

The Note 2 is just too big for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.