Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
How many of you say YES that 10.8.3 is gonna be released this week?

How many are still skeptical?

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Maybe something crazy like new Mac Pros announced on Tuesday requiring 10.8.3 and then 10.8.3 released within a day. It has to be this week right? Although I've been saying that for about 5 weeks now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Updates are rarely related to hardware releases, if they need an update they usually release machines with a custom build. If it's not released, it simply means they don't think it's ready (or at least the gm candidate not yet tested enough).

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Updates are rarely related to hardware releases, if they need an update they usually release machines with a custom build. If it's not released, it simply means they don't think it's ready (or at least the gm candidate not yet tested enough).

Unless Mac Pros have a new graphics cards (or other hardware) which require drivers. These drivers may be there in a new build like 10.8.3 and they don't want to spoil the hardware announcement surprise with tags in the OS. So the Mac Pros aren't ready yet so they hold off the OS until they are ready and then make an announcement like Mac Pros which require 10.8.3 (which by the way is available now). I'm pretty sure I've seen them take both approaches (the one you suggest and the one I suggest) in the past. I'm just saying that it is possible that the update is waiting on hardware. It's all speculation of course.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Unless Mac Pros have a new graphics cards (or other hardware) which require drivers. These drivers may be there in a new build like 10.8.3 and they don't want to spoil the hardware announcement surprise with tags in the OS. So the Mac Pros aren't ready yet so they hold off the OS until they are ready and then make an announcement like Mac Pros which require 10.8.3 (which by the way is available now). I'm pretty sure I've seen them take both approaches (the one you suggest and the one I suggest) in the past. I'm just saying that it is possible that the update is waiting on hardware. It's all speculation of course.

The minimum build for the 7xxx series graphics card seen in leaked data on 10.8.3 is 12D61

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
...which require 10.8.3 (which by the way is available now).

When I go to Software Update, it still says that there aren't any updates available.

...they don't want to spoil the hardware announcement surprise with tags in the OS. So the Mac Pros aren't ready yet so they hold off the OS until they are ready and then make an announcement like Mac Pros which require 10.8.3 (which by the way is available now).

If that is the case, the new Mac Pros better be ready WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS and they better make the announcement within the next two weeks.

Last edited:

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Nope! OS X will be released this week. The new hardware will be released at the National Association of Broadcasters (days: 6th to 11th; month: April; year: 2013)
http://www.nabshow.com

Brand new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt and USB 3.
Brand new numeric keyboard w¡th built-in USB 3 hub.
Brand new Thunderbolt Display w¡th built-in USB 3 hub.

Great!

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Nope! OS X will be released this week. The new hardware will be released at the National Association of Broadcasters (days: 6th to 11th; month: April; year: 2013)

Great!

How about a wireless numeric keyboard with Bluetooth 4.0, and a Magic Trackpad with Bluetooth 4.0. It's about time for both.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012

Great!

To start the Mac Pro can not have Thunderbolt. Please see Thunderbolt spec sheet and requirements.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
To start the Mac Pro can not have Thunderbolt. Please see Thunderbolt spec sheet and requirements.

Of course it can. They just need to make it work within the spec, which is certainly possible. Apple would be beyond idiotic to go in on creating a new interface, with them adopting it first, and agree to a spec that would forbid it on some machines.

vea1083

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Personally, given Apple's track record… I think OS X 10.8.3 will be released either today or March 1. Last year OS X Lion 10.7.3 was released on February 1. Maybe Apple wants to keep releases in a 30 day release cycle.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
People keep way overthinking the whole thing.

These software updates are intended to fix as many bugs as they can.

They get released when Apple feels like enough bugs are fixed (particularly enough high priority ones).

It will come out when they think it's ready, nothing more.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
People keep way overthinking the whole thing.

These software updates are intended to fix as many bugs as they can.

They get released when Apple feels like enough bugs are fixed (particularly enough high priority ones).

It will come out when they think it's ready, nothing more.

The thing is though how long have they been listing the builds with no known issues? It just seems like a long time to draw out after all the known issues were already gone. If they were listing it with known bugs that would be a different story.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Of course it can. They just need to make it work within the spec, which is certainly possible. Apple would be beyond idiotic to go in on creating a new interface, with them adopting it first, and agree to a spec that would forbid it on some machines.

You can't. You need a Integrated GPU on the CPU and if they plan to still use Xeon's this can not be done as clearly laid out in the spec sheet. 2014 Intel plans for a new spec so until then the Mac Pro can not and will not have Thunderbolt.

----------

The thing is though how long have they been listing the builds with no known issues? It just seems like a long time to draw out after all the known issues were already gone. If they were listing it with known bugs that would be a different story.

What I have seen in 10.8.3 in each version is great attention to Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPU drivers. All of which have been improved.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You can't. You need a Integrated GPU on the CPU and if they plan to still use Xeon's this can not be done as clearly laid out in the spec sheet. 2014 Intel plans for a new spec so until then the Mac Pro can not and will not have Thunderbolt.

----------

What I have seen in 10.8.3 in each version is great attention to Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPU drivers. All of which have been improved.

The iMac doesn't have a integrated GPU on the CPU yet it has Thunderbolt ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.