Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
iphone5sb.jpg

The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.

Last edited:

John55455

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Creepy! It looks like a Galaxy S3 now. I think it should have a bigger screen without changing the bezels, so it still looks like an iPhone.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Creepy! It looks like a Galaxy S3 now. I think it should have a bigger screen without changing the bezels, so it still looks like an iPhone.

I really like the idea of a slightly wider screen. The iPhone (imo) is getting too tall without the width adjusting, so it's starting to look awkwardly skinny and tall.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I really like the idea of a slightly wider screen. The iPhone (imo) is getting too tall without the width adjusting, so it's starting to look awkwardly skinny and tall.

I don't really understand this. It's got the same 16:9 ratio as all the other leading smartphones. I guess they just don't look awkward because they are bigger all around?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The earliest you'll see a redesign is the iPhone 6. S models are always just small updates. That said I hope Apple doesn't keep increasing the screen size, the 5 is almost too big as it is.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If a Retina display has more pixels per inch than the eye can see, why do we need more resolution segmentation and another 100 ppi? Another set of resolutions for devs to work on means even bigger apps and more headaches for a phone that's 0.2" bigger.

That makey no sense.

As seen by the rumor of a stock split tomorrow, I think Apple's cycle on phones is working quite well. In the US, you don't have to appeal to the people who just bought an iPhone 5 with an iPhone 5s. You're working on the iPhone 4S and older crowd. That's me. I'm already sold because of a larger screen and LTE.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Fail.

The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.

S

syd430

I like it. I think that apple should adjust the size of the iphone by a couple of millimeters every year. Won't cause any problems with apps or one-handed use at all.

S

syd430

Also, simply making the bezels smaller doesn't solve the one handed use problem as suggested by the OP. Fiiting nicely in the hand and one handed use are not the same thing. The users thumb would still have to reach further to reach the top corners of the screen.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Works for me but Apple could care less what we the end user customers think. They know people will simply buy it because its an Apple product and they will buy it regardless. So what if the design is getting old, outdated and not as innovative as it was in 2007. Yes that is right its not as innovative as 2007. Apple should be pushing the envelop not following everyone else a couple of years later. Maps, Passbook, security flaws all in iOS 6 this shows there is real issues that many gloss over and pass off as nothing big.

I don't expect or want the phone to be 5" but I expect it to keep some level of competitive edge with what customers want. Yes I like iOS but that doesn't mean I only use iOS.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Works for me but Apple could care less what we the end user customers think. They know people will simply buy it because its an Apple product and they will buy it regardless. So what if the design is getting old, outdated and not as innovative as it was in 2007. Yes that is right its not as innovative as 2007. Apple should be pushing the envelop not following everyone else a couple of years later. Maps, Passbook, security flaws all in iOS 6 this shows there is real issues that many gloss over and pass off as nothing big.

I don't expect or want the phone to be 5" but I expect it to keep some level of competitive edge with what customers want. Yes I like iOS but that doesn't mean I only use iOS.

See here's the thing. Apple is in a unique position. Because of carrier subsidies they are one of the only companies that can sell a $180 product for $750 on average, and sell 100 million of those per year generating 50 billion in profit.

The iPhone is the single most profitable object on earth by total income. Not gold, not oil, not diamonds, iPhones.

It is mind blowing therefore that Apple is doing anything but pouring the best minds in the world to create the best possible technologies that mankind has ever seen into the next device. Apple is sitting on the most valuable thing in human history and if they do not innovate, they will squander it.

Yes people will buy their product regardless, but only until they realize that Apple is not at the top of their game, and if Apple choses not to deliver amazing innovation they will slowly kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

If and when we come to a situation where people en-masse realize that there are other much better products for them besides the iPhone their market share will plumet.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Smh with this.

Anyways, we'll probably get a 5" model this fall or in 2014. They'll keep the 4" model at the same time.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Display size and resolution are very unlikely to change for the iPhone 6, let alone the 5S.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the aluminium top and bottom looks horrifically ugly? Definitely not going to change, especially since there's totally no reason to. Oh, and the currently near-hidden FaceTime HD camera and proximity sensor would stand out horribly on aluminium as well.

Edit: I just remembered what it reminds me of... the BlackBerry Z10. Yuck.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Display size and resolution are very unlikely to change for the iPhone 6, let alone the 5S.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the aluminium top and bottom looks horrifically ugly? Definitely not going to change, especially since there's totally no reason to. Oh, and the currently near-hidden FaceTime HD camera and proximity sensor would stand out horribly on aluminium as well.

Edit: I just remembered what it reminds me of... the BlackBerry Z10. Yuck.

z10.jpg

Top and bottom aluminium strips are very elegant. I think you just have the wrong idea because of the viewpoint.

Try imaging it more like this photo.

The proximity sensor and light sensor will be hidden in the glass display bezel.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Nice job. Hopefully Tim Cook has the same ideas. This would be a nice piece of hardware. The one thing missing is the NFC chip which should be useful in payments processing now that Visa and Master ard are on board

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
If Apple put a free sex organ of your choice in the next iPhone some of you would have a problem with that. If you want something else, why not just go get it? What's all this chatter about? No one is making you buy an iPhone.

Why does this go on and on?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
If Apple put a free sex organ of your choice in the next iPhone some of you would have a problem with that. If you want something else, why not just go get it? What's all this chatter about? No one is making you buy an iPhone.

Why does this go on and on?

It's an Apple discussion forums... you know, where people voice their ideas, opinions and concerns. Just wondering why are you here? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.