Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Would you be happier had Tim Cook said new categories for Apple ?

Just curious why you're so fixated on my comment in specific. What Tim said or doesn't say doesn't make me happy or sad.

Would you be happier if I hadn't made that comment or did some other kind of cheerleading instead? I made a factual comment. If that bothers you - perhaps that's your issue. No need to make it mine.

----------

Or a food processor?

iBlend? And I assume we all know the answer - Yes - it blends!

or

iChop.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
It simply says that shareholders are wanting Apple to intensely focus on customers / markets / innovation / execution to yield far better shareholder value. There are plenty of laws and organizations elsewhere to address "human rights" in numerous venues.

Read my follow up posts in this thread regarding this issue.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Just curious why you're so fixated on my comment in specific. What Tim said or doesn't say doesn't make me happy or sad.

Would you be happier if I hadn't made that comment or did some other kind of cheerleading instead? I made a factual comment. If that bothers you - perhaps that's your issue. No need to make it mine.

----------

iBlend? And I assume we all know the answer - Yes - it blends!

or

iChop.

You made the original statement. Not me. So it seems you are the one more fixated. I merely responded.

;)

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
"New Category"

Think home automation.

Count how many light switches you have in your home, how many power outlets .

Now think about having a Mac mini with a BIG RAID array with ALL you digital entertainment on it with Apple TVs as well as smart software to run all that home automation.

Software for the iPhone/iPad/Mac, APIs so that manufacturers of appliances like heating, cooking, alarm systems can link in to it all

Yes this available for commercial premises at a HUGE cost, but its a massive opening all around the world.

Just think, get onto your iPhone, check to see if you for got to turn the house alarm on, forgot to put the oven on, forgot to record your favourite TV show, did the kids leave the bedroom lights on.... got a tradesman going to do some work, put in a temp password for him 5 minutes before he arrives and kill it when he leaves...

HUGE world wide opening at the right price and if it all "just works"

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Don't think so. Look at the AAPL chart from today:

The major volatility and lion's share of the drop occurred in a short period of time, directly correlating with the event. People were (wrongly) expecting news (probably at least the rumored stock split) and reacted negatively when it didn't happen.

But consider the facts: Who expected important news today when shareholder meetings virtually never produce any? Last year at this time the chattering classes were all in a tizzy over the question of dividends, and some got their knickers in a twist when one wasn't announced at the shareholder's meeting (as if). A few weeks later, the dividend was announced. Praise and hallelujah. So the real news, if we want to call it that, is Cook's reiteration that the board is still looking seriously into distributing cash to the stockholders. If investors want to count on something, count on that. It's a real thing, not a rumor of a nonevent.

This is why I say that following, let alone trying to explain, daily perturbations of stock prices is staring into the hairy eyeball. You may get hypnotized but you won't learn or gain anything of value.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You made the original statement. Not me. So it seems you are the one more fixated. I merely responded.

;)

I made one comment. That's not fixation. Yet you and others have repeatedly commented as if I was making some wacky statement that lacked truth. You didn't merely respond (nor did others). In fact - you and others engaged in straw man arguments - supposing things I never supposed.

My comment was simply and straight forward. Let me summarize it for you with some clarification.

If Tim Cook was stating that Apple is working on "new categories" - and TV and Watches are two of those categories - I do not consider those new. Would they be new to Apple's line? Yes. But they aren't new categories in the generic sense.

So what exactly do you take issue with (if anything at all). Do you believe that watches and TVs (if that's two of the items) ARE new categories?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I made one comment. That's not fixation. Yet you and others have repeatedly commented as if I was making some wacky statement that lacked truth. You didn't merely respond (nor did others). In fact - you and others engaged in straw man arguments - supposing things I never supposed.

My comment was simply and straight forward. Let me summarize it for you with some clarification.

If Tim Cook was stating that Apple is working on "new categories" - and TV and Watches are two of those categories - I do not consider those new. Would they be new to Apple's line? Yes. But they aren't new categories in the generic sense.

So what exactly do you take issue with (if anything at all). Do you believe that watches and TVs (if that's two of the items) ARE new categories?

Let's end this nicely.

I believe when Tim Cook said Apple was looking at new categories he was referring to Apple,Inc. not society as a whole.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Apple's stock price jumped yesterday on a rumor that Apple would announce a stock split today, but that did not come to fruition.

Dear MacRumors: $6 is not a "jump".

Given the recent "tanking"... some heads need to roll. After this meeting it's clear that everyone is in denial.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I guess we won't see the stock do anything good until the end of the quarter or after the developers meeting????

Right now the Wall Street players are manipulating the stock, driving it down as far as possible so they can slowly acquire while reducing the DCA of their total AAPL holdings. AAPL will skyrocket on the announcement of a new category-buster, and the swindlers will all sell and make their ivory backscratcher money for the year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
A defeat of a "Human Rights" committee? What's that say about the way shareholder's view of rights of the people?

It says nothing because human rights has nothing to do with forming a committee. It doesn't take a committee to make human rights decisions.

As a shareholder, I voted against corporate bloat. Look what it's done to our government operations. We don't need to have our investments run like the government is run.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Right now the Wall Street players are manipulating the stock, driving it down as far as possible so they can slowly acquire while reducing the DCA of their total AAPL holdings. AAPL will skyrocket on the announcement of a new category-buster, and the swindlers will all sell and make their ivory backscratcher money for the year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't anyone hold a match too close to this comment, it is liable to catch fire.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Not having a committee would contradict the so-called "self-regulation" that free marketeers always espouse.

There's nothing but inconsistency here. There are those that call for less government intervention when it comes to regulation and that corporations can regulate themselves. But when a corporate entity does try to regulate itself, it gets defeated by its shareholders.

A company doesn't need a committee to police itself. Doing so just shackles itself. The shareholders recognize they shouldnt micro-manage management. That is all. Management can set up a task force if it wants-- Tim Cook has said he wants to do better in that regard.

Ultimately it's up to a people's gov't to ensure human rights in that country are upheld.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I never said they should or they shouldn't - did I. The CEO of Apple made a statement that they are working on new categories. I simply stated two categories which are rumored are not new.

Did I say they should be or shouldn't be? Did I even suggest I had a new category for them to enter? No.

Eyeroll all you want. You're "picking" a fight where there is none just because you probably took my original comment personally.

Frankly, you're being ridiculous. Don't you think it's self-evident that when he says "new categories" the very clear implication is "new to apple"? I just can't fathom that you really think he meant totally new product categories the world has never before seen in any form.

----------

Dear MacRumors: $6 is not a "jump".

Given the recent "tanking"... some heads need to roll. After this meeting it's clear that everyone is in denial.

Denial about...?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I'll believe the "new categories" claim when I see blurry pics from China.
An interesting thing: the Chinese workers are the first ones in the world who would see, run, touch and wear iPhone 6, iOS 7, iWatch and Apple TV...

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Hopefully they don't rush the "new category" to market because of pressure from Wall Street and short-sighted investors.

Google can get away with releasing pretty useless, over-priced gadgets like Glass, but unfortunately for Apple, they don't have that luxury.... people have much higher standards for Apple, and whatever they release is expected to work great from the get go.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not yet ;) Remember MP3 players and mobile phones?

Yes. I remember 8 Track tapes too ;)

It can be argued whether or not these were "new categories" after Apple introduced their products. Emphasis on new. The MP3 player for sure improved I believe on every level (except it was pricey comparatively) But I would argue that although the iPhone was slick and fun - there were plenty of mobile phones on the market that it didn't improve upon for awhile.

----------

Frankly, you're being ridiculous. Don't you think it's self-evident that when he says "new categories" the very clear implication is "new to apple"? I just can't fathom that you really think he meant totally new product categories the world has never before seen in any form.

Actually you and others are the ones being "ridiculous" for taking my comment so "personally." I thought it was pretty "self-evident" that when I wrote it, it was tongue in cheek (although factually).

I just can't fathom that you and others really make so much of the comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.