Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I downloaded the free trial and was pretty easy to set up but still getting acquainted with it though. I first wanted to try one website I log into to see how it all worked, I then let it create a password for me and changed the password on the site and saved with the newly created one from 1Password. It worked out pretty good.

Although as soon as I changed the password on my MBP, it wouldn't let me log in on my iPHone 5 and thats when I realized I'd need some syncing or an iOS app that does this for me.

I appears the iOS app is $17.99, is that in addition to the $49 for the OSX version? You mention that there is a free iOS app but don't see it. I really need this app to be wife friendly as she is totally against using some application like this.

There is no free trial for the iOS version, only the OS X version unfortunately. This is because of the way that the Apple iOS store operates.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
There is no free trial for the iOS version, only the OS X version unfortunately. This is because of the way that the Apple iOS store operates.

Oh OK, I was wrong read your other post as the upcoming iOS app was free but it was the OSX app was free.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I use lastpass. It's Steve Gibson approved (security expert)

Watch this podcast from 2010 if you're interested (skip ahead to the 53 minute mark)

http://twit.tv/sn256

I tried that application earlier today and found it to be hard to navigate and understand how to set it up. 1Password was MUCH easier at least for the beginning.

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I started using RoboForm and RoboForm Toolbar years ago with Windows and now with iOS to manage my passwords, bookmarks, quick notes and multiple online profiles. Its easy to use and does a great job keeping everything in sync across multiple computers, browsers and operating systems. Over the years I have recommended it to clients, colleges, friends and family and so far, no issues and only positive feedback received.

Have not tried any of the others listed above so have no idea if they are better or worse. Hopefully others can comment to this.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the most popular and most robust app is 1Password. I recommend this as well. I've been very happy with the interface, ease of use and integration within my web browser.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
I have been using mSecure since some time with Dropbox sync across all devices and it works great. Their Mac app is $20 and iOS universal app $10, which I believe is reasonable.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
1password on my IOS devices, it is excellent, and good value. The OSX version is way too expensive IMO. if they drop the price ill get it, otherwise won't bother.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Another vote for 1Password, it costs a little more than the others, but you get what you pay for, an excellent App and excellent support. With a Password Manager you need to make sure the development team is really behind the product to deal with compatibility issues with OS upgrades and AgileBits are very responsive, and normally have all the upgrade bugs worked out while the new OS is in Beta.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
???

Keychain will generate strong passwords for you and remember them.

If keychain worked so well, there would be NO market for other products.
Lastpass is inconsistent at best. When I had to re-install Fire Fox 19
90% of my Usernames and Passwords were lost. Have not figured
out a way of getting them back, tried with Time Machine but got an error message at the end, some Geek Speak about "pipes"
You usernames and passwords need to be written down on paper so when
these apps fail you, they you can still get in.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If keychain worked so well, there would be NO market for other products.

You usernames and passwords need to be written down on paper so when
these apps fail you, they you can still get in.

I don't follow your point at all. 1Password and similar apps exist and are in demand because they have added features not provided by Keychain. It would kind of be like saying there would be no market for Aperture/Lightroom if iPhoto worked well. Two different needs and markets. If you want the extra features, pay for them.

My point simply was if all a user needs is password generation and a way to store passwords for web sites, the included Keychain might be all that is needed and is free.

As far as data loss, I don't know what you did, but the OS X Keychain data is kept in one file that is backed up with Time Machine and easily restored.

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Another product

I purchased 1Password, but, like some previous poster, never felt comfortable with it sitting in my browser. (Sometimes there is a need for a user ID and/or password outside of a browser.)

Then I started to use Password Wallet. It has some bells and whistles, but at its core it's quite simple, will generate passwords if you want them, uses pretty hefty security, and has an iOS X version as well as OS X and, I think, Windows, too. It's from a company called Selznick Software.

Good luck on your decision making.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I purchased 1Password, but, like some previous poster, never felt comfortable with it sitting in my browser.

1Password does NOT "sit in your browser". It is a stand alone app. I does have browser add-ons that let you access easily from a browser... but fundamentally, it is a separate app.

/Jim

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I purchased 1Password, but, like some previous poster, never felt comfortable with it sitting in my browser. (Sometimes there is a need for a user ID and/or password outside of a browser.)

Then I started to use Password Wallet. It has some bells and whistles, but at its core it's quite simple, will generate passwords if you want them, uses pretty hefty security, and has an iOS X version as well as OS X and, I think, Windows, too. It's from a company called Selznick Software.

Good luck on your decision making.

I'm no expert but for some reason I didn't like it in my browser either, I guess I cam turn off the browser extension.

What possible reasons are there for concerns for it being in my browser?

Amenic

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Italy
I'm using 1Password on my imac, my mbpro, my iPad & iPhone.
Isn't cheap but it's a great application.

It's worth every penny!

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I've been testing and using the FREE version of Moxier Wallet, and it's really good.

I suggest people look into it before paying for 1password etc.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I'm no expert but for some reason I didn't like it in my browser either, I guess I cam turn off the browser extension.

What possible reasons are there for concerns for it being in my browser?

It is one of the great strengths of the app. When you go to a site to log in - you don't type in your password into the web page but use the bookmarklet to do it for you. Designed to (a) open up password protected sites with one click and (b) defeat keylogging.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons

this really stinks also. I just bought this all over the hype about 1password. I find It does not work as easy as it's reported. Then when I find I need a Mac Version and that says $49.99. my mouth drops open. LIke. WTF? you mean I have to buy more and then I find there are better password keepers for free?

Someone said why do we need a keeper? supppose I go to someones house, want to get on the internet into one of my forums, even this one, I need to have a place that keeps the passwords with me.

i go to the apple store and they want you apple I.d. and your what ever other cloud id to help you. If can't remember it how the heck can you get help?

i just logged out of my youtube account to see if I could set up password keeper. Well guess, what, I don't remember that password and now I'm sol to try to figure out what I used back when...

I'm ticked off now and out of $17.99 for nothing!!!!! articles should give all the details about how you have to pay for this here and there before just raving about how good it is.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
When I moved from windows to OSX last summer I tested Lastpass and 1password before going with 1password. I don't want to entrust all this valuable information to a company with a fuzzy business model. 1passwod is upfront about theirs - you pay for the apps. Lastpass has a strong business model also, which is their enterprise model, providing password management for organizations. So both companies have a good income source and can afford to maintain their software.

I've been using shareware and freeware since the days when I had to send away for floppy disks, but I wanted a higher probability of dependability for my password manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.